Sponsored

JL ** SUNRIDER FOR HARDTOP ** BESTOP (Video and Photos)

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Well, got my Sunrider installed and loving it... and then decided to get the Alien Sunshade based on some of the reviews here. Just installed it this week, and I must say I'm disappointed. While you can still "unlatch" the Sunrider, you need to get out of the vehicle to open & close the Sunrider top... which kind of defeats the convenience of the quick open/close option with having a Sunshade. Also, I'm 6 ft tall, and wear a baseball cap alot. The hat rubs against the Sunshade now when I'm driving. I just looked into returning the Sunshade, but I neglected to see that they've got a 20% restocking fee... Sucks! For anyone looking to get the Sunshade with the Sunrider... keep these things in mind before you pull the trigger! Wish I had held out for the retractable shade that'll be coming out from Besttop this spring!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@gsyoung

:puke:

I have a Bestop Sunrider for JL on my 2018 JL. I also have an Alien Sunscreen.

I have driven over 4,000 miles with the combo in place. I open the SR lots!

I easily, and I mean easily, am able to get the Bestop Sunrider, unlatched / latched .....opened and closed easily / very easily, without getting out of my JL.

Yes, the driver's side window has to be down to do this.. I just reach out the driver's side window, and open or close the Sunrider..................Daaaah, not rocket science to do this.

Why is it, that this 70 yo, old friggin man, can and you can't?

Also, I am 6 ft. tall and even with a ball cap on my head, my cap is nowhere near touching the Alien Sunshade which I leave installed full-time as I do the Sunrider.

Hope all that read your absolutely nonsensical post, disregard it.

I can honestly say the Bestop Sunrider for JL is terrific.... and paired with the Alien Sunshade, the SR is even more of a pleasure...

Yes, the SR is a little noisy with it closed, and I'm driving at speeds in excess of 65 mph, as I have posted in the past.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@gsyoung

:puke:

I have a Bestop Sunrider for JL on my 2018 JL. I also have an Alien Sunscreen.

I have driven over 4,000 miles with the combo in place. I open the SR lots!

I easily, and I mean easily, am able to get the Bestop Sunrider, unlatched / latched .....opened and closed easily / very easily, without getting out of my JL.

Yes, the driver's side window has to be down to do this.. I just reach out the driver's side window, and open or close the Sunrider..................Daaaah, not rocket science to do this.

Why is it, that this 70 yo, old friggin man, can and you can't?

Also, I am 6 ft. tall and even with a ball cap on my head, my cap is nowhere near touching the Alien Sunshade which I leave installed full-time as I do the Sunrider.

Hope all that read your absolutely nonsensical post, disregard it.

I can honestly say the Bestop Sunrider for JL is terrific.... and paired with the Alien Sunshade, the SR is even more of a pleasure...

Yes, the SR is a little noisy with it closed, and I'm driving at speeds in excess of 65 mph, as I have posted in the past.

Thanks for your input... not so much the condescending manner in which you wrote it though. I thought this forum was for folks to share experiences? You've shared your's and I've shared mine. Have a good day!

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the sunrider and was looking at getting the alien sunshade. I test sat in my buddies jl and my head was resting on the sunshade. I am 6' 3" and can't wait till the retractable shade comes out. Hopefully it sits higher than the alien sunshade when fully extended.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the sunrider and was looking at getting the alien sunshade. I test sat in my buddies jl and my head was resting on the sunshade. I am 6' 3" and can't wait till the retractable shade comes out. Hopefully it sits higher than the alien sunshade when fully extended.
I agree with ya... wait for the retractable shade. FYI, I got a response from Alien about wanting to return mine. The good news is that they said they longer longer have a "20% restocking fee"... but the bad news is that they would not accept my return because they said I "installed it", explaining that if you install it and have it in the sun they will not accept a return. That really sucks as I responded explaining that I installed it on Monday, only to realize the issues I mentioned... and then removed it today. I'm waiting on their reply, but concerned that I may be stuck with this Alien. Also, I spoke to Bestop about the retractable shade... they said to look for it to be available for the JL in 1-2 months.

Sponsored

dblack222

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
@gsyoung

I would be interested in buying the shade if you end up being stuck with it.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@gsyoung

I would be interested in buying the shade if you end up being stuck with it.
Sounds good Derrick. I'll msg you when I hear back from Alien. BTW, the front shade is black... hopefully that color will work for ya.
Sponsored