Sponsored

JL ** SUNRIDER FOR HARDTOP ** BESTOP (Video and Photos)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be testing both the JK and JL versions in serious Sub zero weather this week. Both have been perfect, so far. The JK does have a superior heater, though, so I'll probably be testing it s little more than the JL.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DanW

I have both a Bestop Sunrider an an Alien Sunshade installed. I leave both installed together all the time.

Even with the Alien Sunshade installed, I can easily open and close the Bestop Sunrider from the inside or outside.

The Alien Sunshade is black, so it really looks good under the SR and hides the metal frame on the underside of the SR.

Anyway .... 8-) I have placed two, new, neatly folded to size, lightweight, black, Harbor Freight, $4.00 +-, shipping pads between the Sunrider and the Alien Sunshade. This quiets the cab down quite a bit.... holds heat in ... and well, gives the JL's cab a whole different feel so to speak. No, will not be doing this in the Summer. 8-)

@AlienSunshade and @BestopTeam are both forum Sponsors. Thanks to them for being Sponsors.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

I have both a Bestop Sunrider an an Alien Sunshade installed. I leave both installed together all the time.

Even with the Alien Sunshade installed, I can easily open and close the Bestop Sunrider from the inside or outside.

The Alien Sunshade is black, so it really looks good under the SR and hides the metal frame on the underside of the SR.

Anyway .... 8-) I have placed two, new, neatly folded to size, lightweight, black, Harbor Freight, $4.00 +-, shipping pads between the Sunrider and the Alien Sunshade. This quiets the cab down quite a bit.... holds heat in ... and well, gives the JL's cab a whole different feel so to speak. No, will not be doing this in the Summer. 8-)

@AlienSunshade and @BestopTeam are both forum Sponsors. Thanks to them for being Sponsors.

That's a great idea! You should post that up with a pic in the Jeep Hacks thread. I love those Harbor Freight moving blankets. I've got a bunch of them!

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
@DanW

Thank you!:)

Here's another shot from another of our customers running our shade with the Sunrider. Perfect compatibility.
love.a.bowl_and_ms.behavior_46893297_2222621254654380_6593509773522706571_n.jpg

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey guys!

Here is a link to our updated install video on YouTube. As with any new product we often learn new tips and tricks with install as we do it many times ourselves, as well as receive feedback from customers like yourselves! Hope this helps -

CassieAtBestop

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
The sunshade in purple underneath looks amazing! I might be bias though... my Jeep is silver with purple accents :)

CassieAtBestop

Thank you!:)

Here's another shot from another of our customers running our shade with the Sunrider. Perfect compatibility.
love.a.bowl_and_ms.behavior_46893297_2222621254654380_6593509773522706571_n.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys!

Here is a link to our updated install video on YouTube. As with any new product we often learn new tips and tricks with install as we do it many times ourselves, as well as receive feedback from customers like yourselves! Hope this helps -

CassieAtBestop
Now that looks like it was MUCH easier. lol

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The sunshade in purple underneath looks amazing! I might be bias though... my Jeep is silver with purple accents :)

CassieAtBestop
Cassie, slightly off topic, but the new issue of JP magazine shows JL soft doors. Is this true? Is there pricing information yet? Will they be available in twill? Those things will be the icing on the cake for my JL!

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Cassie, slightly off topic, but the new issue of JP magazine shows JL soft doors. Is this true? Is there pricing information yet? Will they be available in twill? Those things will be the icing on the cake for my JL!
JL soft doors? Yes please.

Sponsored

dblack222

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I put mine on yesterday after returning from a work trip in PA earlier in the week.

I was in 1* temps on Thursday and 62* yesterday so it was much needed haha.

Install was easy and I’m extremely happy with it.

Also, either my freedom panels were louder than most or the sound increase with this isn’t as drastic as others have noted. The wind noise difference is negligible to my ears.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put mine on yesterday after returning from a work trip in PA earlier in the week.

Also, either my freedom panels were louder than most or the sound increase with this isn’t as drastic as others have noted. The wind noise difference is negligible to my ears.
I think the difference isn't much. In certain wind conditions, I'm certain my Freedom panels were every bit as loud. Generally, though, these are louder, but only slightly. Easily worth the tradeoff.

The Freedom panels are a neat novelty, but they are just too bulky to be worth the trouble. They need either a mini sunroof in each one (I know you can get aftermarket, but it is a pain to get those) or just be a traditional roof or one removable panel with a traditional sunroof. If Jeep offered the Sunrider for Hardtop as a factory option, it would be a no-brainer. The new automatic top, the name of which escapes me at the moment, kind of fills that niche for them, only it is too expensive for many people. I think they'd sell the heck out of these, if they offered it.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition

Just got mine on the highway today with my sunrise installed for a good noise test. While I don't see any difference in normal city driving, I did pick up a lot of noise at high speeds (i.e. 75+)... but honestly expected that with a jeep softop. I must admit, it was sweet being able to pop the top quickly as soon as I got off of the highway though! :)

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
I think the difference isn't much. In certain wind conditions, I'm certain my Freedom panels were every bit as loud. Generally, though, these are louder, but only slightly. Easily worth the tradeoff.

The Freedom panels are a neat novelty, but they are just too bulky to be worth the trouble. They need either a mini sunroof in each one (I know you can get aftermarket, but it is a pain to get those) or just be a traditional roof or one removable panel with a traditional sunroof. If Jeep offered the Sunrider for Hardtop as a factory option, it would be a no-brainer. The new automatic top, the name of which escapes me at the moment, kind of fills that niche for them, only it is too expensive for many people. I think they'd sell the heck out of these, if they offered it.
Agreed, had it been a factory option, vs. the the freedom panel, I would have taken the sunrider.

As for the Sky Power Soft Top (had to go on the builder to get the option name :P), short of the price, my main gripe is that it only comes body colored. I much prefer the textured black that I have on my hard top. If they would lower the option by about a thousand bucks by defaulting to textured black, I might have considered it.

Now if only spring could come so I can install my sunrider...

Last edited:

Tannerdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 upgraded (?) to a 2020 JLUR
About to pull the trigger on a SR for my white JLUR w white hardtop. Can someone with a white JL and white hardtop please post a pic of yours w the SR? I'd like to see what the all white looks like with the black SR. Thanks!!!
Sponsored