JL steel bumper winch

Nick80

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon & 2010 Jeep Commander
Has anyone added a winch to the JL yet if so what mount plate and what winch did you go with? Also anything else you needed for install.
Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
From bulldog about their existing JK winch plate...

10a mount 20208 will fit with a minor modification.

The JL doesn’t have the vacuum canister and bracket but there is a new bracket on the frame mounted at the back driver’s side corner of the mount.

You have to cut a triangle corner off the 20208 on the rear drivers side to clear that new bracket.

I'm looking at Smittybilt xrc 9500 & X2O 10k - both synthetic. Trying to save weight so I asked for net weight and got this reply -

Here is the weight, a Synthetic rope 9.5K XRC weights in at 55 LBS and a X2O 10K Synthetic weights in at 65 LBS.

Thank you,
Smittybilt Customer Support Team

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Has anyone added a winch to the JL yet if so what mount plate and what winch did you go with? Also anything else you needed for install.
I got a Warn Zeon 10-S, waiting for the Mopar winch plate that should be released on March 1st.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I got a Warn Zeon 10-S, waiting for the Mopar winch plate that should be released on March 1st.
Great minds think...errrr, buy the same winch...alike...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nick80

Nick80

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon & 2010 Jeep Commander
Anyone have any idea of the specs for the mopar warren?

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
I’ve never installed a winch, but the install guide for the Mopar/WARN winch doesn’t talk about a winch plate for the Rubicon steel bumper. Am I missing something?

johnnyp26

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubi Hard Rock
I’ve never installed a winch, but the install guide for the Mopar/WARN winch doesn’t talk about a winch plate for the Rubicon steel bumper. Am I missing something?
Yeah you need a winch plate to mount the winch on the steel bumpers. The bumper is winch capable but not winch ready. It was the same way on the JK version of the bumper too, kind of annoying. So you have to drop $250-300 on the mounting kit to be able to install the winch. Maximus 3 was the most popular brand on the JK's for people to use and they had an option to add d-ring loops to it as well if you were willing to cut the bumper. Mopar had akit obviously along with a few other aftermarket options as well.

sadass

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98. 5.9 ZJ 7"LA's F/R locked 2000 WJ DD
Occupation
Semi-Conductor Equipment Tech.
Vehicle Showcase
That makes me upset. I figured the new JL steel bumper would be just like any other steel winch bumper I have had. Provisions to mount the 4 bolts that hold the winch and the two for the fair leed. Now from what I am reading. Its is truly not a winch ready bumper. That is just stupid. That makes it not winch capable if anything. Or you might as well say all jeep bumpers are winch capable. Hell you can get a RC mounting plate to mount a winch around a plastic stock ZJ bumper. that does not make it ok to advertise winch ready bumper.

Sponsored

johnnyp26

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubi Hard Rock
That makes me upset. I figured the new JL steel bumper would be just like any other steel winch bumper I have had. Provisions to mount the 4 bolts that hold the winch and the two for the fair leed. Now from what I am reading. Its is truly not a winch ready bumper. That is just stupid. That makes it not winch capable if anything. Or you might as well say all jeep bumpers are winch capable. Hell you can get a RC mounting plate to mount a winch around a plastic stock ZJ bumper. that does not make it ok to advertise winch ready bumper.

Yup it's really annoying. I had hoped with the JL bumper they would make it winch ready but apparently not. It stinks because by time you do the winch plate and if you want to add some sort of stinger or bar you've easily spent another $550 plus on the bumpers which still have no recovery points. I really love the look of them but I have a feeling they are an option I skip when I put my order in.

pburke

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Agreed that the required winch mounting kit/adapter for the Rubi steel bumper is unfortunate. Although it looks good, I would probably skip the factory steel bumper if I didn't already have one. That said, I am going to install a winch but not sure which one. I would prefer a Warn with synthetic rope and here is my thinking - please provide your feedback: 1) The Warn Zeon 8-S would be adequate for my needs and I can get it for around $1,100+/- all in from Amazon or gowarn.com. However, I don't think the 8-S is truly waterproof and I have seen some bad reviews/complaints regarding water intrusion and rust. 2) The JPP "Rubicon" Warn winch appears to be an 8-S that has additional waterproofing/rust protection. Looks like this one can be had for $1,350+/- all in from various sites. 3) I could say "screw it" and go with the Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum for $1,650+/-. The 10-S Platinum is IP68-rated waterproof and I have to believe it would last the life of the Jeep with minimal issues. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Get one of the 10-S Warn's. It will last forever. That is what I got too. I didn't get the platinum though.

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
The ZEON 10-S Platinum is what I'm planning to install on my JLUR. I like that Rubicon branded one in the Jeep catalog, but I prefer the wireless remote.

Does anyone have a strong opinion against using wireless remote winches? Pros, cons?

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I like 'em (have a Zeon 10-S Platinum sitting in the box waiting for the JL). I'm sure you're going to have others here who hate them and will tell you how they'll fail. Pretty much the same folks who advocate for a mechanical key vs. remote keyless entry and remote start. Everyone has an opinion. The good news, at least with this piece of equipment, is that the market has something for everyone.
Sponsored