Sponsored

JL Start/Stop not working (Battery Charging)

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
I’d disagree nothing is wrong. This is a pretty common issue with the JL. Bad batteries. Bad battery sensors. Sure if you let your car sit a month thr battery will die. But if it’s starting and running fine you’re main battery is good. If the start stop or accessory buttons (if you’re running the aux package) don’t work it’s your secondary battery that’s dying. If you’re under warranty go get it checked.
For 2 weeks that we were in lockdown, I drove my Jeep maybe once or twice for 5-10 minutes just to get groceries. Could that have caused it?
Sponsored

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Guys I just talked to the guy that installed my dashcam and he said he connected the dashcam to BCM? I think he mentioned it's under passenger seat and that's what the alarms and remote start etc run from it. He said he has been doing that on all JLs and never had a problem. He doesn't think it's related to dashcam but he told me to go there so he can disconnect the dash wiring and see if that fixes things? To be honest I don't even think it's the dashcam. I'm pretty sure I have had this issue even before the dash. But since I had a JK before and wasn't even used to start/stop I didn't notice that it has stopped working.

Also my main battery is showing 14.2 V while I'm driving.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
My start/stop started showing this message (charging) as soon as the cold weather hit. 30 min highway drive to work. Didn't work the entire winter. Weather just started getting warm in NY. Start/stop just started working yesterday.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Cold could be a factor. Short trips can be a factor. Could be a drain somewhere, although I think that is unlikely.

With COVID I haven't been driving my Jeep very often and I'd get this message from time to time. Not very long ago my Jeep sat at the dealer for a day or two and when I got it back this message seemed to not want to go away, even after a couple of 45 minutes drivers. I finally got sick of it, found a parts store that showed they had a compatible aux battery in stock. I drove about 40 minutes to go get it just to find out they didn't actually have it. So 40 minutes back and I decided that my best course was to just buy a jump pack from amazon. I got home, ordered the jump pack, it showed up the next day so I jumped in my Jeep and drove it while the jump pack charged (I wanted to be sure I could charge it with the Jeep's 120v plug). First stop sign I came to, ESS worked as it should. I dunno. could have been that final long drive, could have been that the temps had finally warmed up a bit. But it continued to work for a few weeks after that. It's back in the shop now for an unrelated issue, has been there for over a week, so I can't say it's still fixed but... maybe?

For me the jump pack seems like the right answer. I just keep it in the Jeep and that way I don't have to worry about this stupid issue any longer and I can ignore when ESS is working or not.

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Cold could be a factor. Short trips can be a factor. Could be a drain somewhere, although I think that is unlikely.

With COVID I haven't been driving my Jeep very often and I'd get this message from time to time. Not very long ago my Jeep sat at the dealer for a day or two and when I got it back this message seemed to not want to go away, even after a couple of 45 minutes drivers. I finally got sick of it, found a parts store that showed they had a compatible aux battery in stock. I drove about 40 minutes to go get it just to find out they didn't actually have it. So 40 minutes back and I decided that my best course was to just buy a jump pack from amazon. I got home, ordered the jump pack, it showed up the next day so I jumped in my Jeep and drove it while the jump pack charged (I wanted to be sure I could charge it with the Jeep's 120v plug). First stop sign I came to, ESS worked as it should. I dunno. could have been that final long drive, could have been that the temps had finally warmed up a bit. But it continued to work for a few weeks after that. It's back in the shop now for an unrelated issue, has been there for over a week, so I can't say it's still fixed but... maybe?

For me the jump pack seems like the right answer. I just keep it in the Jeep and that way I don't have to worry about this stupid issue any longer and I can ignore when ESS is working or not.
Can you tell me which jump pack you got? Also sorry if this is a stupid question but isn't the jump pack for the main battery? I have seen a lot of people mention a trickle charger too and not sure how these things work? what do you connect to? I thought the small battery that gives juice to start/stop is well hidden under the main battery and it's very hard to get access to it. Also I saw this video on youtube so if the jeep doesn't start due to a bad battery, you can't jump start the jeep?

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Can you tell me which jump pack you got?
The batteries are connected together right up by the terminals for the big battery. The computer has them connected together most of the time, even when the Jeep is off. If one battery goes bad it can drain the other battery so much that it is also dead. So basically the concern is that if you have a bad small battery it will drain your big one and leave you stranded. Connect up a jump pack just like you would any other vehicle and you'll get enough juice to start the Jeep. The alternator will keep you running on your way home (or to the parts store for a new set of batteries).

I actually own two different jump packs. Both from Amazon, one lives in my Jeep and the other lives in my car. Project Farm on youtube has two different videos where he tested jump packs, so that's a good starting point

TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Something unique on this that I haven't seen elsewhere is this one has a physical switch, when off no features turn on. In theory this will help preserve the battery life. This one was recommended by [Banned Site] [the ponytailed-one that this forum hates for some reason] on his video

Audew 2000A Peak 20000mAh I can't find the amazon link for this one anymore, it's the one project farm recommended a year ago and after that the price had jumped and availability became an issue.

EDIT:
I have seen a lot of people mention a trickle charger too and not sure how these things work?
So I had tried this, putting the Jeep on the trickle charger that I use for my motorcycle. I let it sit over night and into the next day. When I started the Jeep the message changed from "battery charging" to "battery protection mode" I don't know what that's about. But ultimately, it didn't seem to make a difference. This is when I began to suspect that I had a bad small battery. As I said before, later my problem seemed to resolve itself. My stance on it currently is that my "issue" was due to cold weather and nothing more. But I have the battery pack now, so frankly I decided to quit worrying about it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Lots of iffy, nonsensical info being posted in this thread... Do your homework before you take all the posts / videos here to the bank so to speak..

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Lots of iffy, nonsensical info being posted in this thread... Do your homework before you take all the posts / videos here to the bank so to speak..
Can you elaborate? I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it gets to these things. Don't want to do anything that would cause damage or problems further downt the road.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'd agree with this. I don't feel that my little battery pack was wasted money, sooner or later it's going to come in handy (either it'll jump my Jeep or I'm going to have something useless to throw in frustration). So really I'm glad I bought that rather than getting a new AGM battery or having the dealer mess with it. Getting a battery pack is what I'd recommend to everyone, and really if you go offroad alone it's probably a good safety thing to have.

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Just got an email from the guy that installed my dashcam. this is what he had to say

Also to recap we did not go under the hood or touched any parts in the engine bay. The accessory wire is connected to the cigeratte lighter wire and constant 12 Volts is connected to the 40 amp 12volt wire at the BCM.

Rimaerardin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I have been using Noco GB 150 for 2 months so I can safely recommend it, a cool compact device, I chose it from this list, + and - of some models are painted there.
Sponsored