Sponsored

JL Start/Stop not working (Battery Charging)

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
My Start/Stop is not wokring on my JL Rubicon. It shows STOP/START not Ready: Battery Charging. I was able to find some threads regarding this and most people got it fixed through the dealership but first of all I live in Canada and dealerships here are a hassle to deal with. Second of all I did make some modifications to my Jeep. I have a dashcam that is connected to the battery and I also have a Pro Comp 6-Way Switch Panel that has my offroad lights connected to it. (1 LED BAR and 2 Cube Lights). What might be causing the problem? Can the dealership refuse to fix this issue since I have a switch panel and dashcam connected to the battery? If they refuse how much does it cost to get this fixed?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
sorry if this is a stupid question but Is it possible that when i had a someone hardwire my dashcam, he connected it to the start/stop battery?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Probably not a good idea to wire your dashcam directly to the battery without a device that will stop the dash cam when the voltage gets too low.
also, do you drive your jeep every day? People who don’t have this problem all the time. it could also be that one or both of your batteries are starting to die. There are a lot of threads talking about these issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Start/Stop not working (Battery Charging) D6E84047-7420-446E-A856-7FCBA91C4700

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Probably not a good idea to wire your dashcam directly to the battery without a device that will stop the dash cam when the voltage gets too low.
also, do you drive your jeep every day? People who don’t have this problem all the time. it could also be that one or both of your batteries are starting to die. There are a lot of threads talking about it.
This is the hardwire kit that I got for my dashcam
https://www.amazon.ca/VIOFO-A129-Ha...keywords=viofo+hardwire&qid=1616047143&sr=8-3
I had someone professionally install it for me so I'm not sure what he did. I just sent him an email. Could it be that he wired it to the same battery that the start/stop gets juice from? I heard that battery is very hard to get to so not sure why he would do that.
I do drive my jeep everyday.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is the hardwire kit that I got for my dashcam
https://www.amazon.ca/VIOFO-A129-Ha...keywords=viofo+hardwire&qid=1616047143&sr=8-3
I had someone professionally install it for me so I'm not sure what he did. I just sent him an email. Could it be that he wired it to the same battery that the start/stop gets juice from? I heard that battery is very hard to get to so not sure why he would do that.
I do drive my jeep everyday.
Yeah that looks like it does the same thing. I wouldn’t let the battery drain past the 12.4 setting tho. It’s unlikely that they wired it directly to the ess battery because it is well hidden. it wouldn’t matter anyways because both batteries are always connected together unless there is an ess event.

Sponsored

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Yeah that looks like it does the same thing. I wouldn’t let the battery drain past the 12.4 setting tho. It’s unlikely that they wired it directly to the ess battery because it is well hidden. it wouldn’t matter anyways because both batteries are always connected together unless there is an ess event.
Thanks, can dealership give me trouble fixing it under warranty since I have a dashcam installed on my Jeep?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
here Is a battery chart and why you really don’t want to drain your battery below 12.4
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Start/Stop not working (Battery Charging) 0668B829-2FD3-41AB-8505-E7051D6EE8DB

since you have that device to limit battery drain, your battery will not have been damaged by it. The dealership will likely charge you if they don’t find anything wrong with the batteries. Try running a trickle charger on it over night and make sure the setting on the device to limit your battery drain is not set too low.

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
here Is a battery chart and why you really don’t want to drain your battery below 12.4
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Start/Stop not working (Battery Charging) 0668B829-2FD3-41AB-8505-E7051D6EE8DB

since you have that device to limit battery drain, your battery will not have been damaged by it. The dealership will likely charge you if they don’t find anything wrong with the batteries. Try running a trickle charger on it over night and make sure the setting on the device to limit your battery drain is not set too low.
Thanks for the info. If there is nothing wrong with the batteries than what might be causing start/stop not working? It's been a while that it's not working and no matter how much I drive it still shows battery charging. I'm not sure how to use a trickle charger. I will do some research on it.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
My Jeep was at the dealer for a month with the same problem. I had steps installed and some electrical work in the back.
Every dealer is different. Mine cut power to my mods and checked to see if the battery was still draining. It was. So ruled out mods.

after that FCA had them go system by system. Shutting them off and letting it sit to find the drain. Finally replaced both batteries and battery sensors and fingers crossed I’m good now.

Jeep compensated me well for the month without my Jeep. Contact @JeepCares and they might be able to help and maybe can reference my case.

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
My Jeep was at the dealer for a month with the same problem. I had steps installed and some electrical work in the back.
Every dealer is different. Mine cut power to my mods and checked to see if the battery was still draining. It was. So ruled out mods.

after that FCA had them go system by system. Shutting them off and letting it sit to find the drain. Finally replaced both batteries and battery sensors and fingers crossed I’m good now.

Jeep compensated me well for the month without my Jeep. Contact @JeepCares and they might be able to help and maybe can reference my case.
Unfortunately I'm in Canada and from what I gathered JeepCares can't do anything if I'm not in US. If I have to go through so much trouble to have them fix it, I guess I will just forget about start/stop and live with it not working.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Unfortunately I'm in Canada and from what I gathered JeepCares can't do anything if I'm not in US. If I have to go through so much trouble to have them fix it, I guess I will just forget about start/stop and live with it not working.
It’s not just the stop start. It’s your aux battery that’s causing it. So I would highly recommend you get it fixed. Don’t know much about Canada but I imagine you still have a warranty.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks, can dealership give me trouble fixing it under warranty since I have a dashcam installed on my Jeep?
they’re not going to give you trouble so much as they’re going to say there’s nothing wrong. Drive the vehicle. Charge the batteries.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
they’re not going to give you trouble so much as they’re going to say there’s nothing wrong. Drive the vehicle. Charge the batteries.
I’d disagree nothing is wrong. This is a pretty common issue with the JL. Bad batteries. Bad battery sensors. Sure if you let your car sit a month thr battery will die. But if it’s starting and running fine you’re main battery is good. If the start stop or accessory buttons (if you’re running the aux package) don’t work it’s your secondary battery that’s dying. If you’re under warranty go get it checked.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
You said that you drive it everyday. However, how long do you drive it after each start? Just driving 10-15 minutes is not enough time for the ESS battery to fully charge, no matter how many days you drive it. An occasional trip of 30+ minutes is what it takes to charge the battery.

Also, if the ESS battery is going bad it can cause the primary battery to eventually fail. I had this happen on my 2018 Grand Cherokee last year. The dealer replaced both batteries and the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) under warranty and it has been fine ever since. Start by taking a long drive or connect it to a trickle charger and go from there if it still doesn't work.

OP
OP

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
You said that you drive it everyday. However, how long do you drive it after each start? Just driving 10-15 minutes is not enough time for the ESS battery to fully charge, no matter how many days you drive it. An occasional trip of 30+ minutes is what it takes to charge the battery.

Also, if the ESS battery is going bad it can cause the primary battery to eventually fail. I had this happen on my 2018 Grand Cherokee last year. The dealer replaced both batteries and the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) under warranty and it has been fine ever since. Start by taking a long drive or connect it to a trickle charger and go from there if it still doesn't work.
I don't drive it for too long. It's 15 minutes drive to go to work and 15 minutes to get back. But I have droven for longer than 30+ minutes in few instances and it's still showing battery charging. Could it be that I need to drive for longer periods to get it working again? It's very cold in here too. I live in Toronto so maybe that is also causing to fail?
Sponsored