Sponsored

JL Sport/Sahara only Lift Kit Thread (Non Rubicon)

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I have been looking for a new lift kit, I installed a 2" spacer lift within a week of new now 3 months later after adding 35" Tires, Bumper, winch, RV tow Plate, Go Rhino D6 Sliders-Boards that 2" lift is not doing much where my rake was once level now it is back to about 1" drop in the front. I am ready to lose the spacer lift and install a spring and shock lift and get a bit more clearance, fix the rake and add more travel.

My Use is 60% roads DD, 20% towed behind RV 10% back country roads and 10% mild to med trails. So daily driver ride is important. I am also joining a regional Jeep club and plan to join in on Trail events here in the NW...

Selecting lift kits is a mine field, to begin lift kits fit and lift Sports and Sahara's differently than a Rubicon so the actual lift height is subjective unless the lift discloses such information or is specific to either model. With that said what height do you want 2.5", 3", 3.5" or more again the variable based on manufactures info (Rubi vs Sport/Sahara).

Then which springs to chose: Progressive, single stage, 2 stage or now 3 stage springs which seems to be the most important factor in terms of ride as shocks only provide a smaller part of the influence on ride.

Control arms, should you buy new or get the extension brackets, again not hard core here which I think accounts for most Sport and Sahara owners

2.5" vs 3.5 (I am leaning towards 3.5), this is a big one as the 3.5 provides better clearance for a few extra dollars however how does the ride differ other than a tad more roll? will my 35'x12.5" tires rub at full articulation with a 2.5 and my +18 offset wheels. They do now with my 2" spacer but I also have alot of added weight up front. Then is the added articulation of the 3.5 useful in my occasional off road use.

Shocks: Everyone raves about Fox Shocks, however they are a premium $$$, how do they really affect the 60% of my driving or are they more useful off road. I have been leaning toward Teraflex but no one has anything positive to say about them at least so far.

Do I just go with a kit like Rancho (high on my list) JKS, Rock Crawler , Rubicon Express or do I build a modular kit. That brings up cost, I would like to stay under $1200 Springs-Shocks lift I have a track bar and added the Teraflex 2.2 steering stabilizer. I like the idea of the 3.5" lift but really do not want to replace the front driveline.

As you can see at least in my mind there is a lot to balance, however that is because I am also trying to preserve street ride which is very important and there is little advice on this available.

Here is what made it more frustrating...

I called 4WP.com to discuss purchasing the Rancho 3.5" Lift they insisted I consider the new 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with the Bilstein shocks (more $$$ of course). Then i hung up and called North Ridge they tried to instead talk me into Rock Krawler lift, then I called Quadratec who then pushed the JKS. I called another and they pushed BDM. What makes this so hard is each of the major aftermarket retailers are infatically pushing specific lifts and none of them promote the same brand almost like it is coordinated. Every one of them loosely claim that their recommendation is the best fit for me however they all or most sell all the lifts mentioned above. I was really hoping for experiences and advice as well as comparable facts.

Look, I do not want to make the wrong choice I have already installed a spacer lift I was not happy with and I want this to be the last lift. So I started this thread to help me with my decision as well as to hopefully help others with this same decision process.

Because of the added front end weight a Spacer lift is likely not going to fix the rake and maintain the ride quality as the springs are already partially compressed from stock.

Any advice, experience, pictures of lifts (with details), ride quality assessments is all greatly appreciated. Again Rubi folks are welcome to comment but prefer to keep the subject to Sports and Sahara's due to the obvious suspension differences.

Then again maybe I am just over thinking this...

Here is my current 2" lift

Steps%20Wheels%20Chrome_zps683dvhie.jpg
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have always run SkyJacker and never had any issues. I guess I don’t have the budget some do to spend a bunch - daily driver - weekend warrior. I have been running their 2.5” JL Sport lift since Feb without issues.

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
The 2” mopar suspension kit raises a Sport 3.5”. Doesn’t ride good as stock more bumpy and stiff.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
7F71BF6D-396A-4DE0-BF24-403141A7FAEC.jpeg
When I had my Sahara I went with rough country stage 2 suspension lift. It comes with lower adjustable controls arms replacement front driveshaft, adjustable track bar. It is a great riding lift for mild to moderate off-roading. Drove better after lift then stock. It wandered some when stock. Not trying to sell you on this lift, just sharing my experience with it. Good luck.
You said “had”.

Where did your Sahara go!?

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
7F71BF6D-396A-4DE0-BF24-403141A7FAEC.jpeg
When I had my Sahara I went with rough country stage 2 suspension lift. It comes with lower adjustable controls arms replacement front driveshaft, adjustable track bar. It is a great riding lift for mild to moderate off-roading. Drove better after lift then stock. It wandered some when stock. Not trying to sell you on this lift, just sharing my experience with it. Good luck.
When I 1st Started looking I considered the RC Spring/Shock lift however there were NO reviews and the price was so low I sure like the budget value of it. I assume that was the 3.5" lift?

Poffnstuff

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU, 18' Ram2500 CC 4x4, 18' FLHXI
This is with 2.5 RC with there shocks, I have steel bumpers and a winch ,its on 33. its been on there since April.
part0(21).jpg
How is the ride quality? I'm on the fence as to what lift to go with. RC is on the top of my list.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I was wondering how much power y'all are losing with a lift and 35 inch tires. I have a manual, V6 on 33s. It already doesn't have a lot of guts at highway speeds. I am wondering if the lift/tires makes a lot of difference and especially those who added steel bumpers, a winch, etc. Just seems like a lot of weight for the gearing.

Also wondering if the turbo does better with the mods.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
How is the ride quality? I'm on the fence as to what lift to go with. RC is on the top of my list.

My wife drives it everyday, and says it rides like it did. I think it rides like shit from.day one, compared to my Laramie.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am now leaning towards the Rancho 3.5" with their rs9000 adjustable shocks (very affordable at $739) for those of you that did 3.5" lifts did you also install the longer drive line as well what did you do for the control arms

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
I just installed the Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift. The 2" lift is what a Rubicon gets. I read others were getting 2.5-2.75" on Saharas. It was designed by a Jeep engineer who helped design the JL. This thing rides amazing. Better than stock. I drove it 55 miles with my stock wheels and tires and it was great. I got around 3" lift on stock wheels. Today I installed 18" wheels with 35's and now I'm over 4.5" (almost 5") of lift from my stock stance and it still rides better than stock. I just lowered my air down to 30 psi pain on the Milestar Patagonia's and haven't drove it just yet. I'm happy so far and there is lots of room for clearance even with a +18 offset on my wheels. It is 1299 but it's running Fox shocks that were designed specifically for these springs which is why it rides so good I believe. Here are a few pics.

MVIMG_20181221_165550.jpg

MVIMG_20181221_123313.jpg

MVIMG_20181222_153454.jpg

MVIMG_20181222_132329.jpg

MVIMG_20181222_153636.jpg

MVIMG_20181222_153625.jpg

MVIMG_20181222_153606.jpg

IMG_20181222_162856_790.jpg

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
EVO MFG 2.5” JL Boost Stage 2 With EVO MFG Enforcer JL Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms And shock extensions. Looking to get some Fox shocks next.

30E3E957-F426-4DB7-B2BB-D70489ACED3A.jpeg

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I ordered the Rancho 3.5" I was close to going with the Rock Krawler and the Fox Shocks however when I talked to 4WP and Northridge they both talked me out of the FOX, reason being we will be on a lot of Forest service roads with pot holes and washboard textures, they both suggested that the Fox wold be on the stiff side and I should go with something softer. This is why I decided on the Rancho with their 9000RS shocks that are adjustable to 9-levels. also the springs are progressive which will help with the Bumper and winch combo I have.

We will see I should have it on next weekend. I also ordered the Geometry correction brackets for the control arms, Adjustable Track bar and the quick Disconnect Sway bars.

I have a two inch space lift now that is not cutting it with the Bumper and winch on the stock springs. I will post pics once done.

Here is my current 2" spacer lift

Steps%20Wheels%20Chrome_zps683dvhie.jpg

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
There is a guy in here that has a shop and does lifts. He took off the springs your getting and went with RC , said the Rancho springs were to stiff and a rough ride. I have heard good things about the shocks. Hopefully you get the ride your after. I have the RC 2.5 with there shocks ,and both steel bumpers with a winch. It rides as good as it did.
part0(22).jpg
Sponsored