Sponsored

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
Just finished the last part of my off road capable daily driver on a budget for my 2020 2 door Sport S. Hopefully some new people to the community can find this and take something away from it. Thanks to silverbullet for introducing me to this style of mods.

1. You don’t need to purchase new quality of every mod you’re getting. Often times used things are just as good as new, but are significantly cheaper. People are constantly upgrading their Jeeps, so you’re eventually going to find someone who’s selling something that you want.

2. Rubicon take-offs are one of the best things you can purchase. They’re cheap, they’re factory, there’s tons of them, and they’re extremely capable. Most of my build is from Rubicon’s because a Rubicon can already do mostly anything stock. Throwing that stuff on your sport is an easy and cheap way to upgrade yourself. For example a 2” lift kit will run you about $1,500. JLUR suspension will cost you about $100-$200 and get you 2” lift.

Here’s a list of all my upgrades:

JLR 33” AT Tires: $950

Rock Hard 4x4 Winch Plate: ~$200

Badlands 12,000lb Winch: $500

Recovery Pack: $140

Grab Handles: $30

Oracle LED headlights: $400

Trailer Hitch: $50

Voswitch JL300 Switch Box: $240

JLR Rock Rails: $75

JLUR suspension: $200

Altogether these upgrades cost me ~$3,000 total. It cost me nothing to install it all because everything was extremely easy to install due to the fact that they’re factory parts. I have myself a daily driver that still gets 20MPG, that can also tackle some pretty serious trails with its 2” of lift, 33” tires, and 12,000lb winch.

I’m not saying any other way of building your Jeep is wrong. I just want to throw this out there so that people don’t think the only way to build your jeep is with brand new parts, name brands, and super expensive items. That was my mindset when I first looked into modifying my Jeep. And I’m glad I was introduced to this style of build because I easily saved myself a few thousand dollars.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build FBECE629-2FB8-4008-A4DB-3BDA59B299C8

The day I bought my Jeep. Completely stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build 0F235D14-175A-49A5-8406-F5208B2ADF0A

First time taking Jeepie on a road trip. This is the Grand Canyon. Still completely stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build 0CB89A96-D4CC-4927-B606-10B823882CD9

First major mod weekend. Added the winch plate, winch, lights, and removed the fender flares. I’d thrown the tires on a week or two prior.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build E06254FB-5F60-4598-907D-8D26EF2CBE67

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build E7CB11AA-D7A0-4B27-8169-4F6489EF066B

After installing the JLUR Suspension. Got 2” in the rear and 1.25” up front. The rake looks worse in the picture because I’m parked on a slanted surface. I plan on throwing spacers in there eventually to even it out.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build 7B5D258F-20F8-4ECF-9076-5D7D5362EBDA

Voswitch switch panel with no button identifier stickers placed or assigned.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build AB19E6D7-C95C-4C1A-95B9-F33BF0835E41

Under the hood. The switch box. Plus green cable run to the fuse box for the DRL.

Should be able to tackle mostly anything I throw at it. Within reason of course
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Cool build man! Simple but gets the job done from the looks of it!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have a similar build (4-door). I’ve been planning to do a build thread on it. It’s amazing what a Sport is capable of with just a few mods.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Right there with you boss. I'm going a very similar route. Factory ordered my 2020 2 door sport s - only way to get the ocean blue - so it already has led headlamps and the tow/aux switch package. Added JKS discos, and have a brand new (less than 400 mi) Rubicon Recon suspension sitting in the box. Only paid $100 for it. Plan to add an under hood compressor, steel bumper and winch. And will go up to 33's when the wrangler a/t's that came with it wear out.
. Figure I'll have spent around $2000 on upgrades and have her in the sweet spot between daily driver and really capable off roader.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@The_Paper_Cut,

Nice build. Great advice.

Most Sport owners purchased their Jeep most likely due to budgetary constraints (me included). Rubicon's are just too damn expensive. Your build highlights what you can do to really make your Sport way better than stock... On whatever budget you can afford.

Yet one of the things I see missing from your list of cheap modifications is a Sway-Bar Link Quick Disconnect kit. Not totally essential, but for around $150 it adds likely the most off-road capable enhancement possible besides lockers. Of course, adding lockers to a Sport isn't anywhere in the neighborhood of being inexpensive. That's primarily why Rubicon's are so costly.

However, just to offer another small change in perspective, I own a 2019 2-door Sport S. Living along the Colorado Front Range my desire was to build my JL to be as off-road capable as possible but still within a limited (but not an absolute minimalist) budget. I was willing to invest just a little more than the bare minimum. My objective was to ride on All-Terrain 35s. This required a tad more clearance than what some previously used Rubicon take-offs would offer.

The more off-road capable 35s would certainly provide the best possible tractive improvement. Noting for the record that this of coarse is the biggest tire possible on a Sport without undergoing the high expense of differential regearing to something higher than the stock 3.45:1 gears that come standard with the lower-line m186 / m200 axles. As a side effect, the 35s have certainly provided me with an 8th gear that's truly an overdrive now on steroids.

However in order to get the wheel-fender clearance for the 35's (on a Sport) a little more lift is required, beyond what the Rubi take-offs can provide. Recall, the Rubicon's have a higher stock fender flair setup so they can indeed better support 35's without any further modification. Unfortunately the Sport requires an additional half to a full inch of additional lift in order to prevent any rub at full articulation.

So I went with the Mopar 2.5" Lift kit, ended up at nearly 3 inches after installation. Yes, this is certainly more expensive than the take-off suspension but gives me the ultimate capability that a Sport can provide. For the additional $1300 investment, this was peanuts. Best investment in my JL I could have ever made. I'd gladly give up all the cosmetic and optional electronic stuff (up-front, within the initial build budget) in order to get the most capable ride possible for my Sport.

I've never regretted the Mopar lift. In my opinion it rides much better than stock. It's no longer some squishy ordinary sedan. It handles and behaves to what I believe a Jeep should be... Capable of maneuvering over nearly anything.

So there are potential trade-offs... That's certainly the absolute beauty of these Wranglers. You can be as cheap or as extravagant as you desire. I chose the +1 step up from the minimally lowest cost
build possible. It's your Jeep, you don't have to cut every corner possible.

Envision what it is you truly want from your rig and either trade up or down from there. For me, that meant no Rubicon take-offs. I now have something way (way) better than any stock Rubi. There isn't a trail here in Colorado yet that I haven't felt comfortable in tackling. I've even helped pull a couple of stuck Rubicon's out of trouble on the exact same obstacle I just successfully accomplished. In all fairness though, both were bone stock Rubi's.

Be cheap, be extravagant, be creative. Your build is up to you. No matter what, have fun and with no regrets.

Jay

IMG_20200605_180738.jpg

IMG_20200605_180828.jpg

IMG_20200605_180803.jpg

IMG_20200605_180916.jpg

IMG_20200605_180947.jpg

IMG_20200606_132713.jpg

IMG_20200801_200022.jpg

IMG_20200728_190158.jpg

IMG_20201010_141718_1.jpg

IMG_20200901_112359.jpg

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

IMG_20201010_121449.jpg

IMG_20200614_132150.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_20201010_120123.jpg

IMG_20200901_144629.jpg

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Good info and great thread!

OP
OP
The_Paper_Cut

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
@The_Paper_Cut,

Most Sport owners purchased their Jeep most likely due to budgetary constraints (me included). Rubicon's are just too damn expensive. Your build highlights what you can do to really make your Sport way better than stock... On whatever budget you can afford.

Yet one of the things I see missing from your list of cheap modifications is a Sway-Bar Link Quick Disconnect kit. Not totally essential, but for around $150 it adds likely the most off-road capable enhancement possible besides lockers. Of course, adding lockers to a Sport isn't anywhere in the neighborhood of being inexpensive. That's primarily why Rubicon's are so costly.

However, just to offer another small change in perspective, I own a 2019 2-door Sport S. Living along the Colorado Front Range my desire was to build my JL to be as off-road capable as possible but still within a limited (but not an absolute minimalist) budget. I was willing to invest just a little more than the bare minimum. My objective was to ride on All-Terrain 35s. This required a tad more clearance than what some previously used Rubicon take-offs would offer.

The more off-road capable 35s would certainly provide the best possible tractive improvement. Noting for the record that this of coarse is the biggest tire possible on a Sport without undergoing the high expense of differential regearing to something higher than the stock 3.45:1 gears that come standard with the lower-line m186 / m200 axles. As a side effect, the 35s have certainly provided me with an 8th gear that's truly an overdrive now on steroids.

However in order to get the wheel-fender clearance for the 35's (on a Sport) a little more lift is required, beyond what the Rubi take-offs can provide. Recall, the Rubicon's have a higher stock fender flair setup so they can indeed better support 35's without any further modification. Unfortunately the Sport requires an additional half to a full inch of additional lift in order to prevent any rub at full articulation.

So I went with the Mopar 2.5" Lift kit, ended up at nearly 3 inches after installation. Yes, this is certainly more expensive than the take-off suspension but gives me the ultimate capability that a Sport can provide. For the additional $1300 investment, this was peanuts. Best investment in my JL I could have ever made. I'd gladly give up all the cosmetic and optional electronic stuff (up-front, within the initial build budget) in order to get the most capable ride possible for my Sport.

I've never regretted the Mopar lift. In my opinion it rides much better than stock. It's no longer some squishy ordinary sedan. It handles and behaves to what I believe a Jeep should be... Capable of maneuvering over nearly anything.

So there are potential trade-offs... That's certainly the absolute beauty of these Wranglers. You can be as cheap or as extravagant as you desire. I chose the +1 step up from the minimally lowest cost

Envision what it is you truly want from your rig and either trade up or down from there. For me, that meant no Rubicon take-offs. I now have something way (way) better than any stock Rubi. There isn't a trail here in Colorado yet that I haven't felt comfortable in tackling. I've even helped pull a couple of stuck Rubicon's out of trouble on the exact same obstacle I just successfully accomplished. In all fairness though, both were bone stock Rubi's.

Be cheap, be extravagant, be creative. Your build is up to you. No matter what, have fun and with no regrets.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build IMG_20200901_144629

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Sport S Off Road Capable Daily Driver Budget Build IMG_20200901_144629

Holy Cow! That’s a good looking Jeep, love the 3” lift you got out of that 2.5 Mopar lift! I haven’t gotten the disconnects for 2 reasons. 1) I was actually going to get them this weekend, but wasn’t sure what to get exactly or if I’d need longer ones due to the new height or not. 2) Manually removing the disconnects from the bolt isn’t the worst thing in the world. Takes maybe 5 minutes, so for right now the disconnects aren’t too high of a priority.

I seriously love your Jeep. I wish I could do 35’s, but it’s definitely a big investment not just with the tires as you said but a higher lift and you also put yourself towards the edge of needing to re-gear and possibly upgrade other components under the Jeep. You’re photos are making me rethink wanting to stay at 33’s lol. Thanks for sharing though, glad you also found a way to make it work on a smaller budget!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
As the JLs begin to enter the used market a thread like this makes sense. I’m sure a lot of owners with a new to them Jeep would like to makes some mods, but the Qtech catalog scares them.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
@The_Paper_Cut,

Jay

Wouldn’t rubicon fenders be able to help a sport clear any rub with rubi takeoff suspension?

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
@The_Paper_Cut,

Jay

I don’t think quick disconnects are a necessity. I use an impact wrench and can disconnect manually in a few minutes. I spend most of the time zip tying the bar.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Great build. For quick disconnects, which is at the top of the list right there with the winch in regards to a tremendous leap in capability, I’d look hard at the Apex Autolynx. For $375 and not having to lay down or crouch down, it’s the most convenient, simple, and inexpensive disconnect you can get. A 1/4 turn per side, like manual locking hubs, you’re ready to go. That would be the cherry on top for a function first build like yours.

303StingGray

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy 2dr
Jeepoch

I am in Aurora and was curious what passes those are in the pics. I have gone to a couple but was curious what some of those pics were from. Thanks and nice Jeep.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Just finished the last part of my off road capable daily driver on a budget for my 2020 2 door Sport S. Hopefully some new people to the community can find this and take something away from it. Thanks to silverbullet for introducing me to this style of mods.

1. You don’t need to purchase new quality of every mod you’re getting. Often times used things are just as good as new, but are significantly cheaper. People are constantly upgrading their Jeeps, so you’re eventually going to find someone who’s selling something that you want.

2. Rubicon take-offs are one of the best things you can purchase. They’re cheap, they’re factory, there’s tons of them, and they’re extremely capable. Most of my build is from Rubicon’s because a Rubicon can already do mostly anything stock. Throwing that stuff on your sport is an easy and cheap way to upgrade yourself. For example a 2” lift kit will run you about $1,500. JLUR suspension will cost you about $100-$200 and get you 2” lift.

Here’s a list of all my upgrades:

JLR 33” AT Tires: $950

Rock Hard 4x4 Winch Plate: ~$200

Badlands 12,000lb Winch: $500

Recovery Pack: $140

Grab Handles: $30

Oracle LED headlights: $400

Trailer Hitch: $50

Voswitch JL300 Switch Box: $240

JLR Rock Rails: $75

JLUR suspension: $200

Altogether these upgrades cost me ~$3,000 total. It cost me nothing to install it all because everything was extremely easy to install due to the fact that they’re factory parts. I have myself a daily driver that still gets 20MPG, that can also tackle some pretty serious trails with its 2” of lift, 33” tires, and 12,000lb winch.

I’m not saying any other way of building your Jeep is wrong. I just want to throw this out there so that people don’t think the only way to build your jeep is with brand new parts, name brands, and super expensive items. That was my mindset when I first looked into modifying my Jeep. And I’m glad I was introduced to this style of build because I easily saved myself a few thousand dollars.

The day I bought my Jeep. Completely stock.

First time taking Jeepie on a road trip. This is the Grand Canyon. Still completely stock.

First major mod weekend. Added the winch plate, winch, lights, and removed the fender flares. I’d thrown the tires on a week or two prior.

After installing the JLUR Suspension. Got 2” in the rear and 1.25” up front. The rake looks worse in the picture because I’m parked on a slanted surface. I plan on throwing spacers in there eventually to even it out.

Voswitch switch panel with no button identifier stickers placed or assigned.

Under the hood. The switch box. Plus green cable run to the fuse box for the DRL.

Should be able to tackle mostly anything I throw at it. Within reason of course
Might want to add one more small item yet one with huge benefits off road. A set of manual sway bar disconnects. Easy to install and use.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
. Factory ordered my 2020 2 door sport s - only way to get the ocean blue - so it already has led headlamps and the tow/aux switch package.
How is it possible to order a 2020? Can dealers still do this?
Sponsored