Sponsored

JL Sport S 6 Speed Manual 3.6 or 8 speed Auto 2.0????

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thanks for the reply. Yea the 6-speed reputation has taken a hit. I am wondering if the fix that was implemented will hold up long term or if its just a band-aid. I haven't been able to find information about the fix.
The recall was for the clutch, nothing to do with the transmission. I haven't heard of any issues with the transmission itself. The OEM clutch is made by Luk, a reputable supplier, so I don't know what happened there. That being said, there are after market clutch options as well, so I don't think it's much of an issue.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Honestly, I want would like to put some rubicon take offs on this thing. Suspension\Tires&Wheels. I am guessing that would give me about a 1.5 inch lift and I am hoping the 33swont be an issue with that rear axel. Yea I am leaning manual for the savings and upgrades.
You will find Rubicon takeoff wheels, tires, and suspension cheap. I got a Sport and that’s what I did (well, Black Moab wheels).

The Rubicon suspension adds about 1-1.5”.

I then upgraded the tires to 295/70R17 (33.24” or so). The stock Rubicon tires are I believe 32.7”. What do you mean “issue with the rear axel [sic]?” I have not experienced any issues and I believe that it is easily rated for 33s. I wouldn’t go larger though due to my stock gearing and the MT.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Not going to lie, the added fuel economy is nice. How many MPG are you getting? I recently moved to Palmdale which are suburbs about an hour outside LA. So heavy traffic isn't an issue for me. My current daily driver is a stick. Honestly, I am in my early 30s and pretty much all my driving has been on a manual, not because I am a purest or anything like that, that's just the way it shook out.
Since buying mine I’ve consistently been above 25.7 average on the screen in the car (yes, I know those are not the most accurate measurements, but even if it’s off by 10% it still very good mpg for a jeep). Coming home from my dealer I reset the indicator as I pulled out of the lot. Drove roughly 3 miles in city traffic, followed by rush hour interstate traffic through Nashville and then interstate north on I-65. Traffic was running right at 75 and I was running with traffic. Got off the interstate and drove sever miles on two lane highway and county roads home. Total trip of 110 miles, averaged 27.6 mpg indicated. Yesterday drove 47 miles on 2 lane US highway, running 55-60. On that trip I was actually “trying” to see what I could get (easier than usual acceleration, more gentle braking. I still was running with traffic and not holding anybody up. Jeep showed 30.2 mpg when I pulled in the driveway. Caveat here, I have not yet hand calculated mileage. I live in the country almost 20 miles from town. Back and forth is either 2 lane/interstate mixed or all 2 lane. I tend to run 75-80 on the big road. With that said, based on what I’m seeing to date I’d bet money on 25 plus mpg consistently on that round trip using the interstate option. My Jeep is a stock JL Sport plus 2.0.. Good luck with whatever You choose. You really can’t go to wrong either way

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I’m actually kind of in a similar boat. I currently have a 2019 Sport S manual transmission and I’m kicking myself for not going with the rubicon to begin with for various reasons. Now, I’m considering trading my manual transmission Sport S for a 2020 rubicon with an automatic transmission. Better axels, lifted higher than the Sport, bigger and better tires, higher fenders, Fox shocks, and better equipped to handle tire upgrades. With the manual, everything I’ve read says 305/70 is the max you can comfortably go on tires without regearing. That’s only 33.8” and the way things have started, I very much understand the need to continue to mod. It’s like getting a tattoo and you’re already thinking about your next tattoo. I am also a die hard manual transmission girl. I am losing sleep over trying to justify and rationalize trading. And now I just keep going back and forth with the decision and then I start thinking, “Oh, and there’s a diesel too!” Buuuut, that’s another $6,000 over the manual transmission. Yikes.
Good luck!
Sponsored