Sponsored

JL Sport S 6 Speed Manual 3.6 or 8 speed Auto 2.0????

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Hi everyone!

So I am building my jeep with Rob Tratchman over in Irvine. Big Shout out to everyone who referred him. Anyway, as the title states, I have narrowed down my options to the 6 speed manual 3.6 and the and the 8 speed auto 2.0. The jeep will be my main car. My commute is very short, about 4 miles each way. my main concern is longevity. Recently got rid of my 93 XJ that we kept in the family for about 25 years. I want this jeep to last just as long. I will be doing some light off-roading, mostly light to mild trails. My concern with the 6 speed is that I drive a lot of city miles, worried about how the constant shifting will affect the car in the long run. I love manuals btw, I have only owned 1 automatic. Can you guys weigh in with your thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Hi everyone!

So I am building my jeep with Rob Tratchman over in Irvine. Big Shout out to everyone who referred him. Anyway, as the title states, I have narrowed down my options to the 6 speed manual 3.6 and the and the 8 speed auto 2.0. The jeep will be my main car. My commute is very short, about 4 miles each way. my main concern is longevity. Recently got rid of my 93 XJ that we kept in the family for about 25 years. I want this jeep to last just as long. I will be doing some light off-roading, mostly light to mild trails. My concern with the 6 speed is that I drive a lot of city miles, worried about how the constant shifting will affect the car in the long run. I love manuals btw, I have only owned 1 automatic. Can you guys weigh in with your thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.
2 cans of worms opened in one thread. Close thread, drive both, buy what you prefer. You will *never* get a meaningful consensus here. You'd have better luck asking who to vote for in November.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi everyone!

There are so many posts in the subject. But with LA traffic I would go automatic. Have you considered auto with the V6? you can still get a 2020 off the lot without the E-torque.

Longevity is a lottery honestly. Everyone has their own opinion. The V6 has fame for being a reliable engine. the 2.0 has no history but to each their own. The auto trans is based on a famous reliable and high performance tranny, but I have no idea how reliable it actually is. The manual seems pretty basic and I would guess fixing it will be cheap and easy, but I have no clue.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hi everyone!

I've owned both in the JL. I'm currently in my Auto with the 2.0L. I drove my 3.6 Manual for about 30k miles or so. I would go for the 2.0 Auto. The manual has the romance of well, being a manual, but the 8-speed and that little turbo 2.0L is a nice combo. I don't regret ordering a 3.6 Manual in 2018, but I love my 2.0 Auto.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I'm an old fart and had been driving a manual for 43 years. Living in Chicago for about 20 of those. Finally blew my left knee out, so when we got the Jeep last year, went with an automatic. Couldn't be happier. If I were a lot younger, and lived somewhere out in the country where you're not shifting CONSTANTLY like you do driving in a big city, I'd get the manual for the romance of it. But if you live in congestion, do yourself a favor and go with an automatic.

My 2¢ worth.

Best,
-Tim

Sponsored

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yeah I'm a manual for life kind of guy, so I'm pretty biased (also only owned one auto, a truck, you'd have a tough time selling me an auto jeep at half price....). The only thing I'd say is that I don't think the transmission choice will have a big impact on reliability. You'll be fine either way.

Also, like someone else said, drive both, buy what you like. Auto's have come a long way, and the ZF is a good one. Of course, manual's have come a long way too, and the Aisin is a thing of beauty.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I think you answered your own question by saying you love manuals. Buy what makes you happy. For me it was the 2.0T with auto the motor and tranny work together perfectly like a smooth well oiled machine and the little shit is fast!! Drive one before you make your mind up.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Hi everyone!

I went with the manual 3.6 bc I enjoy rowing my own gears and I liked that the 3.6 pentastar motor has proven to be reliable in the JK. Considering the 2.0 turbo platform has only been in the JL for 2 years, I'm curious how the turbo is going to hold up long term. I will say the automatic is nice to have in stop and go traffic and is easier to manage on challenging trails. Best of luck and enjoy the shopping process.:beer:

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I always opt for a manual if it's available so that's what I went with. The manual in these does take some getting used to though but once you do its great. It really feels like an old turbocharged 4cyl with a steep power curve.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
@beaups hit the nail on the head.

Drive both and see which you prefer.

WRT to your (short) commute, I don’t think a manual will be a problem in terms of inconvenience. I live in Manhattan and Martha’s Vineyard and have a 3.6 with MT. Both are relatively small islands on which trips are short and you rarely can go anywhere near highway speeds. There is a lot of start/stop driving due to the road layouts and traffic. I don’t mind the MT in those conditions at all.

The only time it’s a little cumbersome is actually on the highway when there’s bad stop and go traffic when I’m going between the two places. Even then I don’t mind too much. (Disclaimer: I’m a die hard MT guy and have had only one auto in 30 years).

As for longevity of the MT in those conditions who knows, but as somebody pointed out above the MT will be relatively cheap/easy to service.

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We have both and i was so TORN on this same question. I came from the "If it's a Wrangler, it should be a stick" clan. When i drove the 2.0 i was VERY surprised at the torque and speed, but I went with the 6sp....my wife has the 2.0. She loves hers and i love mine. She wasnt as ""die hard" set on a stick, so she has no regrets. I LOVE my stick, but there's times where i wished i had the 8sp and/or turbo under me. We have lifted Jeeps and added weight. Mine does fine, but hers does better :) Just ask yourself if you REALLY want that stick. I'm not disappointed, but the new stuff is nice. In your situation, i would prob vote for the auto and enjoy your coffee/cig/what-not in the other hand :like:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Hi everyone!

3.6L is proven to be a great engine that will last a long time. Manual transmission's are cheaper to rebuild than that of an 8 speed auto thats a throw away when it breaks. changing the clutch isnt that bad and its easily upgraded for a better type like from center force. when mine goes thats the route i am going. absolutely love my 6sp and don't regret it at all.

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Big thanks to everyone for the input! This will be my first new car. After grinding out school and landing a solid job, I want to treat myself to a badass two-door before I get married and the babies start coming :LOL: So I want to get this right. To be honest, one of the things that got me thinking about the 2.0 turbo is the recall on the 6 speed MTs. Do you guys think this issue has been addressed in the 2021s? I don't want to get my dream jeep and have issues right off the bat. I am also buying from a dealership a few hours from home. How does this affect me if something should go wrong?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Big thanks to everyone for the input! This will be my first new car. After grinding out school and landing a solid job, I want to treat myself to a badass two-door before I get married and the babies start coming :LOL: So I want to get this right. To be honest, one of the things that got me thinking about the 2.0 turbo is the recall on the 6 speed MTs. Do you guys think this issue has been addressed in the 2021s? I don't want to get my dream jeep and have issues right off the bat. I am also buying from a dealership a few hours from home. How does this affect me if something should go wrong?
Congrats on your first new vehicle. You can ask if it’s been addressed on the 2021s but I believe they suspended delivery of the MTs until it was fixed. Also why wouldn’t you consider the 3.6 in an Auto? I would make the choice of engine and trans separately (although I think the 2.0 comes only with auto now).

I think as far as reliability goes I wouldn’t over think recalls etc. Remember you’re likely to read about the exceptions here, not the rule, as people don’t typically go to the effort to post that things are great.

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 Pontiac Trans am WS6
I have a 2020 3.6 auto. I chose the the 3.6 because It's proven and its simple. I was recently told the 2.0 turbo was going to be discontinued. I don't know if that's true or not. All I can say is that turbo, 4cylinder, and electric motors all in one doesn't instill confidence in me for longevity. Especially in a $30,000-$60,000 vehicle.

As far as transmission. i have a 2002 WS6 Trans Am that's my toy that I've had 13 years. It's a 6 speed and I love it. I just don't want to live with it every day for years to come. On bad days you still have to row those gears!
Sponsored