Sponsored

JL Sport owners - How did you mount your front License Plate?

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Just got my plates. I see the indentations in the front bumper, and I guess most people probably just drill small holes and then use self tapping screws to attach, but I wanted to see if people have come up with other solutions. I've seen the Sto n Sho, but I'm not a fan, and 'm not spending $90 to put on a license plate bracket that anyone could walk off with. ;)
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Self tapping plate screws was what my dealer did for their advertisement placeholder plate/frame (before I purchased) so I didn't really have a chance to consider something else.

I changed out the screws to stainless ones from Wally World when my actual plates arrived; but it was pretty short lived, I ditched the plastic bumper a few weeks ago.

Sorry, not much help, I know.. But if you do get a winch bumper, the Tuffy fairlead flip-up bracket works well for me.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Self tapping plate screws was what my dealer did for their advertisement placeholder plate/frame (before I purchased) so I didn't really have a chance to consider something else.
My dealer did the same thing. I reused the same screws.

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Dave. The dealer put on the rear (self tapping screws) so I'm going with that. The front is virgin so I'm reluctant to do that unless that's the best solutions.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I mounted it on the garage shelf. Every time I drove through high water, the plate would get twisted up. So, I got tire of it and took it off. Problem solved.

Sponsored

backtheboat

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got my plates. I see the indentations in the front bumper, and I guess most people probably just drill small holes and then use self tapping screws to attach, but I wanted to see if people have come up with other solutions. I've seen the Sto n Sho, but I'm not a fan, and 'm not spending $90 to put on a license plate bracket that anyone could walk off with. ;)

Zip ties lol

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I'd use the same type of self-tappers that the dealer used to mount the temp rear plate. Seems like they drilled in just fine but you probably want to drill a small pilot hole first just to make sure. My sales guy didn't give me any for the front plate so I ran without a front plate - kept it in passenger seatback pocket just in case. Fortunately Ohio got rid of the front plate requirement that went into effect on July 1 this year so now I don't have to worry.

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Told my dealer not to touch my front bumper. They listened. Front plate is sitting in the garage.
You could try scotch extreme fasteners. Although I feel like heat will melt the adhesive. Might rip off on the highway.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-2-P...VhK7ICh3jcApKEAQYASABEgJ9APD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I've had horrible luck with the Scotch clear fasteners, and if it did happen to work, seems like it might leave a bigger mess than two holes. I'd love to leave it off, bit it is a law here, but right now they can't pull you over for it alone. They are also considering changing that so they can. About 1/5 folks don't run front plates.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Just don't mount it, unless your state is really a stickler for it. No one seems to care around here unless you're driving a stanced civic with 15% tints and catless exhaust;)

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
no front plate for me, no requirement from the state.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I just drilled into it. It is a cheap bumper anyway and going away eventually... people sell them on craigslist and here for like $100, and they don't even sell lol.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
CA LEO will write you up for no front plate. Fixit ticket iirc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'll probably just drill it (maybe , eventually), but the cops are so lax about it around here, that I'm kinda torn. It's a law, but estimates are that 1 out of 5 around here don't run front plates. Just stupid. It should either be a law or not (and I vote not). ;)
Sponsored