Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Lol, A guy I work with has an old jeep and does not think jeeps with electric windows, 4doors, fancy stereos, etc are "real jeeps"

He takes the doors off in march,and puts on the half ones, "See who the hell even wants a window in a jeep" he would say.

I can see it both ways, all the new stuff is nice, but in another 20 years his old simple jeep will likely still running strong as it barely has anything to go wrong
One day I'd like to have both. But for a daily driver I'll take the non-real jeep all day.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
One day I'd like to have both. But for a daily driver I'll take the non-real jeep all day.
I dunno, too many comprises for me on a 4 door loaded up wrangler, with the top off the wall of windows looks like those walking dead cars.

People used to debate the CJ-7 was not good off road (vs the CJ 5) cause it was too dang long, and a jeep was all about the bob tail nimble offroading. Those guys must be rolling their graves when the JLU limo jeeps showed up, lol.

But hey its all good, its great they have a Jeep that works for everyone now days. I can see the appeal in building a 4 dr party safari jlu with every option and fancy radio, with the doors off like that mopar green one we saw, its pretty damn cool. For me gonna have a 4 door awd Edge for hauling people and stuff, and the 2dr wrangler for fun.

I think if a buy a 60k jeep i will end up not want to off road it and keep it safe in garage, lol. Its easier to cut a 28k check and go hit the mountains, but the lure of those damn options get me back to Rubicon price range, then I think F it.. get it instead... oh well. fun stuff

TWD-802-Eric-Aaron.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My 50k Jeep will be off road right after the engine break-in, which will be at 3k miles. However, I'll have a tough time avoiding temptation sooner. The Badlands off-road park will be calling to my ears like the Sirens call to Odysseus!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
OP, unless I've done my math wrong, I've figured out a way you can have your premium soft top and get paid for choosing it over the standard soft top.

I might be wrong but doesn't the dual top option allow you either premium top, tan or black (or maybe on the Sport you just get the premium black.)

(Note: the configurator doesn't allow this dual option on the Sport or Sport (S) but the pricing data (in another thread on the forum) does. When in doubt, I go with the pricing data.

Sure, this route costs more than the standard top but I bet you can sell that mint condition hard top for a pretty penny above what it marginally cost you to lay out the money for (loan interest not withstanding), and still sell it for less than what someone wanting an OEM hard top would have to pay for it after sale at a dealer.

Get it of course in black (I say generically to others taking this route: you'll have no choice but black OP given that your getting the same Sport model I'm interested in) to make it more universal to sellers, over the body colored one.

Sure, many buyers will go to the aftermarket, but many want the OEM top.

Last edited:

tilleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
I couldnt agree more. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are the future. Were already seeing a decline in demand for factory nav. Why use slow outdated maps when you can use your phones nav, and also get the added features like messaging, phone calls, pandora, spotify etc?
mark my words in 5-7 years factory nav will be the CD player of 2025

Do any Young people use factory nav now?

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I'm most likely going with a base model JLU Sport. With added rear axle upgrade, hardtop and auto trans. (It comes already with air conditioning.) The msrp of that Sport is $35,380 compared to $44,785 for the Rubicon model. $9000 is a chunk of change, and I don't care about touch screens and most of that other stuff. The upgraded axle will be in the rear where it provides most benefit anyway. I think the Sport also has traction control? I already have wheeled many places in my CJs with open diffs and not an ultra low crawl ratio, so I know the Sport will do fine offroad. You'd be surprised what an auto trans can do offroad even without the Rubicon 4:1 ratio, in fact some people might rather have the higher Sport ratio depending on usage. Cool thing is Jeep has managed via models and options to provide a wide range of prices, for minimalists like me who are more about the basics and offroading, and also for those who like the luxury and tech stuff. Sure, I would like to see the base JLU closer to 30 grand, but what can you do. At least Jeep is still producing this sort of vehicle.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
My 50k Jeep will be off road right after the engine break-in, which will be at 3k miles. However, I'll have a tough time avoiding temptation sooner. The Badlands off-road park will be calling to my ears like the Sirens call to Odysseus!
Badlands Is fun rook my JKU few times there

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I can see it both ways, all the new stuff is nice, but in another 20 years his old simple jeep will likely still running strong as it barely has anything to go wrong
Twenty years old implies a TJ and in my experience they didn't run well when new.

If I purchase a new Jeep someday it will be despite the horrible experience of living three years with my 1997 Wrangler Sport and its more or less biweekly trips to the dealership service garage.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Twenty years old implies a TJ and in my experience they didn't run well when new.

If I purchase a new Jeep someday it will be despite the horrible experience of living three years with my 1997 Wrangler Sport and its more or less biweekly trips to the dealership service garage.
110k on mine when I sold it. 0 issues.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
When pricing out the base JL, you realize that AC is not included, that's another $1200.
Interesting...on the jeep.com configurator select the Sport (no "S"). Click the "View Summary" Tab. Half way down the resulting page click "All standard features."

Then, click the first vertical tab: "Interior and Exterior." Note Air Conditioning as a Climate Control Option.

So I guess ;) Air Conditioning on the Sport, (we'll be glad to know) is, ..."standard" as an "option" ;)

I guess the advantages at this trim level are that.....you actually can order it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Interesting...on the jeep.com configurator select the Sport (no "S"). Click the "View Summary" Tab. Half way down the resulting page click "All standard features."

Then, click the first vertical tab: "Interior and Exterior." Note Air Conditioning as a Climate Control Option.

So I guess ;) Air Conditioning on the Sport, (we'll be glad to know) is, ..."standard" as an "option" ;)

I guess the advantages at this trim level are that.....you actually can order it.
Standard on 4-door. Not on 2-door.

Moe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Fit
Occupation
Retired X 2 = 23 years USAF + 23 years IT
Air-Conditioning is standard on the 4-door base Sport but $1,295 optional on the 2-door base Sport. (says my wife who also points out the 4-door has a higher tow rating and we could sleep in it).