JL sport not really that bad

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
BLD works with both axles and is only active in 4-Hi and 4-Lo. Trac-Lok anti-spin (limited slip differential) is always active and works independently of BLD. BLD will kick in if the torque bias is higher than Trac-Lok can handle.
thanks! i imagine that if i’m in crazy snow or ice conditions, then i’m likely in 4Hi and driving under 50, in which case BLD might be enough

coming from AWD, with years of ABS, this is all new to me.
Sponsored

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
You start thinking you cant live without every bell and whistle and suddenly you are looking at a 60k Jeep.
. . . .
/shrugs First this looked like worst package, but its one hell of a toy for the dollar, throw on some aftermarket toys/tires over time... Not sure I am really losing that much from top model
I agree with about everything you said. And now I have seen numerous Sports on dealer lots and they look really great. I could gladly live with a Sport and love love love the manual windows and locks.

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
btw, here’s an outstanding ancient video i found on this topic (sort of), skip to 2 minutes for schooling - really helped me get my head around basics of a differential function on the axle

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with about everything you said. And now I have seen numerous Sports on dealer lots and they look really great. I could gladly live with a Sport and love love love the manual windows and locks.
One of the three greatest vehicles I ever owned, especially in terms of fun and joy, was my old YJ. It didn't even come with a radio, or roll up windows. No air, either. The JL Sport would be light years ahead of that YJ in every way. I think a basic, bare bones Sport woudl be a total blast, 2 or 4 door.

Sponsored

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Check out the dealers that are giving 10% under MSRP and those giving 5% under invoice and then get your extra 500 tread lightly. Hope you get what you want. Got the S and am very pleased.
10% under? Are there such deals? I guess I’d have to wait until the 2 doors start arriving at the local dealerships to see

Local dealers just started receiving the unlimited models, but no 2 doors on any lots yet

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
i’m confused about the distinct, proven advantages of the 595 LSD upgrade on the sport S. my order has upgraded rims which allows for the AT tires without LsD upgrade.

with the improvements in both traction control and the gains in the brake locking differential, it seems like i’m better off getting a locker if i really plan to offroad (and doing that aftermarket, along with bigger tires etc)

i posted a link in another thread where a dude in australia went off road in stock with LBD and traction and was just fine, said he’d even pass on lockers for most small scale courses

https://www.sa4x4.co.za/first-drive-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/

doesn’t LBD (ESC) address the most common single/wheel/spins issues encountered in snow and ice road conditions? is ABS really make or break for everyday safety? if so, why wouldn’t jeep make it a standard build feature?
You also get the upgraded D44 axle housing (same as Rubicon) so it will accept aftermarket lockers. There might be less options to install a locker in the stock D35 axle. Most people who will install locker will most likely upgrade axle also at additional cost.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
BLD works with both axles and is only active in 4-Hi and 4-Lo. Trac-Lok anti-spin (limited slip differential) is always active and works independently of BLD. BLD will kick in if the torque bias is higher than Trac-Lok can handle.
Why do you say BLD only works in 4wd? There is no mention of only working in 4wd in the owner’s manual. BLD is a feature of the traction control system.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
One of the three greatest vehicles I ever owned, especially in terms of fun and joy, was my old YJ. It didn't even come with a radio, or roll up windows. No air, either. The JL Sport would be light years ahead of that YJ in every way. I think a basic, bare bones Sport woudl be a total blast, 2 or 4 door.
This. I'm personally thrilled to be buying a stripped down near-base JL. I'm gonna get the real Wrangler experience, throwing my own gears, cranking my own windows, and not being afraid to take a scratch offroad.

I'll be heavy on the pictures once I'm an owner.

I had a buddy with a YJ, and another with a TJ. I liked the YJ a lot more. Felt so damned rugged and dependable.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
agreed, my old 97 TJ had no air, a 5spd, no factory radio, and a soft top that flapped like no other...it also had a 4cyl that was so slow it needed a tailwind to exceed ( or hit) most speed limits...but ill be damned, it was an absolute blast and I loved every second of it...I have a JLUR now as well, but i wouldn't hesitate to own a base model again and todays base models are far beyond the old days.

Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
there was a discussion about this a while back - so basing it on this thread (and similar ones), but maybe it’s wrong?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/brake-lock-differentials-bld-explained-803194.html#/topics/803194
Well, that forum does not state that BLD is ONLY available in 4WD mode.

I don't know for sure either, but I imagine BLD is active during 2WD and 4WD. Think about all the JKs without a rear limited slip differential including Rubicons. Since BLD is part of the traction control system, BLD is used to stop a spinning rear wheel in 2WD and a front and/or rear wheel in 4WD.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Why do you say BLD only works in 4wd? There is no mention of only working in 4wd in the owner’s manual. BLD is a feature of the traction control system.
Jeep has some very good videos on YouTube explaining the various 4WD systems and traction control. Unless something has changed since the video was published, BLD is only active in 4H and 4L.

BLD explanation starts at 1:42

There is a similar video for Rock-Trac that states the same thing about BLD.

Again, things could have changed...

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Jeep has some very good videos on YouTube explaining the various 4WD systems and traction control. Unless something has changed since the video was published, BLD is only active in 4H and 4L.

BLD explanation starts at 1:42

There is a similar video for Rock-Trac that states the same thing about BLD.

Again, things could have changed...
From the sounds of that, my JL anti-spin ain't gonna be that useful once I physically pull a wheel.

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU , 2017 GC Limited
I really like the purists here. I got the JLU sport s. I sprung for some of the fancy stuff - cold weather package and technology group. The only thing I truly wish I was able to get was the premium soft top. But like PavementWarrior said, I am now flush to upgrade my Jeep how I want. That I am looking forward to the most!
Sponsored