JL sport not really that bad

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I noticed that when I test drove a JK. I figured the Jl would do the same. I'm hoping that it's just a case of removing the crank handle and reindexing it a a few degrees out of the way.
That is a good point on the crank indexing. Have done that in previous vehicle before. I just need to find a manual one on a dealers lot somewhere and check before even entertaining ordering one with it. Just wish there was more separation of options from all that is bundled with the $3000 Sport S option model.
Sponsored

carguy1959

First Name
Robert Spinello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
Occupation
auto sales
You start thinking you cant live without every bell and whistle and suddenly you are looking at a 60k Jeep.

I am buying a jeep for weekend play, it does not have to haul groceries or kids. Its gonna go to rivers, beaches, mud, snow, and rarely rock climb.

For an easy 28.7k you can grab a Sport JL with the limited slip option (also gets ya the rear Dana 44). Considering "base" gets ya a 285 hp engine (that was a big number in years past, and still would require an upgrade model on a lot of vehicles), I think thats one hell of a good deal for a fun toy.

Sure there is stuff I am giving up, but lets see:
- LED light package.. seems like this would be available on all, but OK? Mopar or aftermarket must be an option later
- Premium soft top.. This one hurts, might be smart to get the hard top, then get premium soft top later from mopar
- 33s like Rubicon.. Not sure what I can squeeze in without a lift, but can run 31s for a while
- Fancy Radio/gps: they all kinda suck, my iphone will always be more up to date, bluetooth good enough
- Safety packages: well ya.. oh well
- Remote start: One less way for the new car thieves to steal my stuff,
- heated seat/wheel: Ok a frill but will miss this... as its a weekend toy will wait for it to warm up lol
- other fancy rubicon 4:1 xfer, swaybar unlock, locking diffs: all crazy cool, but saving 30k

/shrugs First this looked like worst package, but its one hell of a toy for the dollar, throw on some aftermarket toys/tires over time... Not sure I am really losing that much from top model
A

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
You start thinking you cant live without every bell and whistle and suddenly you are looking at a 60k Jeep.

I am buying a jeep for weekend play, it does not have to haul groceries or kids. Its gonna go to rivers, beaches, mud, snow, and rarely rock climb.

For an easy 28.7k you can grab a Sport JL with the limited slip option (also gets ya the rear Dana 44). Considering "base" gets ya a 285 hp engine (that was a big number in years past, and still would require an upgrade model on a lot of vehicles), I think thats one hell of a good deal for a fun toy.

Sure there is stuff I am giving up, but lets see:
- LED light package.. seems like this would be available on all, but OK? Mopar or aftermarket must be an option later
- Premium soft top.. This one hurts, might be smart to get the hard top, then get premium soft top later from mopar
- 33s like Rubicon.. Not sure what I can squeeze in without a lift, but can run 31s for a while
- Fancy Radio/gps: they all kinda suck, my iphone will always be more up to date, bluetooth good enough
- Safety packages: well ya.. oh well
- Remote start: One less way for the new car thieves to steal my stuff,
- heated seat/wheel: Ok a frill but will miss this... as its a weekend toy will wait for it to warm up lol
- other fancy rubicon 4:1 xfer, swaybar unlock, locking diffs: all crazy cool, but saving 30k

/shrugs First this looked like worst package, but its one hell of a toy for the dollar, throw on some aftermarket toys/tires over time... Not sure I am really losing that much from top model
For the most part I'm in agreement, exception being the leds. I won't buy another new car without them. Both my wife's car and my jeep have them and they're worth it just from a safety perspective.

I also like the uconnect 8.4 - yeah your phone works and is more up to date, but the 8.4 allows your phone to work on the factory nav system, Waze, spotify and all, and using voice commands. I thought the same as you until I tried it. No need to even touch the phone once it's hooked up which is both more convenient and safer.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I noticed that when I test drove a JK. I figured the Jl would do the same. I'm hoping that it's just a case of removing the crank handle and reindexing it a a few degrees out of the way.
That's exactly what I did on my 2011 JKU Sport. Popped the handle off and reindexed that puppy.

But it was a moot point because after a short year manually unlocking doors on a 4-door vehicle I realized that it sucked so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and I traded it off for a Sport S with power windows and locks.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
For the most part I'm in agreement, exception being the leds. I won't buy another new car without them. Both my wife's car and my jeep have them and they're worth it just from a safety perspective.

I also like the uconnect 8.4 - yeah your phone works and is more up to date, but the 8.4 allows your phone to work on the factory nav system, Waze, spotify and all, and using voice commands. I thought the same as you until I tried it. No need to even touch the phone once it's hooked up which is both more convenient and safer.
LED lights can be added after from mopar, it will b interesting to see how long phones will work the current system, 2-3 years for sure.. then its a toss up.

Dont get me wrong, I like the new stuff, but they are running the price up like crazy.. nearly 60k for poofy frills is getting a bit much. (cars that cost 25k have all this stuff, and have it standard).

I dunno, I am still waiting for 2 doors, and am currently flip flopping between a no frills Rubicon, or a sports with a few goodies... The longer Jeep makes me wait the more I am getting fed up with the entire lineup

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
LED lights can be added after from mopar, it will b interesting to see how long phones will work the current system, 2-3 years for sure.. then its a toss up.

Dont get me wrong, I like the new stuff, but they are running the price up like crazy.. nearly 60k for poofy frills is getting a bit much. (cars that cost 25k have all this stuff, and have it standard).
Android is from Google and they are not particularly known for maintaining backward compatibility. My experience with Google has been that they are more than willing to either abandon some feature outright or declare the APIs "deprecated" and they disappear sometime after that. I would think that most people would go through a few different phones before they buy a new car, so all the little whiz-bang features that the kiddie engineers put in a car related to compatibility with cell phones might not even work after a few new releases of the cell phone's operating system.

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition

I dunno, I am still waiting for 2 doors, and am currently flip flopping between a no frills Rubicon, or a sports with a few goodies... The longer Jeep makes me wait the more I am getting fed up with the entire lineup
You can order a 2 door today - and more and more dealers are getting them on their lots.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
OF COURSE the Sport isn't "that bad". It's a GREAT off roader and you can eventually mod it to the point where it could easily outperform a Rubicon.

A Wrangler is a Wrangler no matter which model you get. They are all trail rated off-roading beasts and I wave to them all. :)

drewloving

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
sticker.jpg
I'm 30 days into ownership of a JL Sport S - I bought it out of inventory - 3 options on the factory sticker (see attached): Floor Mats, Anti Spin Diff Rear Axle, and Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows. I don't miss power windows too much - try to keep the doors off when the heat index in Nashville isn't 105. The lack of power locks only sucks when trying to unlock the back doors - really tricky to reach past the front seat and flip the manual lock mechanism.

My first Jeep - bought it basic so I have lots of time to learn and mod as my budget allows. Unlikely to ever rock climb - would love to find some trails/mud/etc to try it out on though! The way I figure - I'm probably going to send it to college with my son in 3 years. If I'm in love with it then, I can get an 2021 with the options I know I'll use!

Love everything about it - get a lot of looks in traffic, especially with the doors off and top back. My first mod will be tinting the front door windows to match, then a sun shade soon after!

Anyone know of good trails or property in middle tennessee to play on??

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
You can order a 2 door today - and more and more dealers are getting them on their lots.
Gonna have to see how well I fit before I order one. a few base sports sitting in lots 40+ miles away, they cant seem to to sell them.

I wish they made the base sport FOBless, and use normal key ignition, would be easier to use. /shrug will test a sport s or Rubicon before too long

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna have to see how well I fit before I order one. a few base sports sitting in lots 40+ miles away, they cant seem to to sell them.

I wish they made the base sport FOBless, and use normal key ignition, would be easier to use. /shrug will test a sport s or Rubicon before too long
Well, looking on the positive (and sarcastic) side, with the Sport, you get a big fob that has no buttons on it, so it would be possible to make it even more water resistant. Of course, not as water resistant and a plain old metal *key*... :(

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
4 years later... I ordered a Sport because it was the only thing I could buy and keep it under $40k...

And yeah, after driving near luxury cars the past 20 years... I kind of dig the charm of roll up windows and manual locks... simple and fun.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Lazarus thread.

It's a matter of perspective. Compared to the 2006 Honda that it was replacing, my 2021 JLU Sport was hopelessly modern: touchscreen radio, backup camera, pushbutton starting, transmission-by-wire, central TFT screen, direct injection, et cetera, et cetera. It seemed like the 15 year interval had shifted me into a new dimension of technology.

If the word "Need" wasn't so frequently misunderstood and misused on this forum, threads like this one wouldn't ever appear. Of course the Sport trim isn't that bad. 👍 The Jeep DNA is as evident as ever, now with more standard trimmings. The rest, like heated glove boxes and leather-lined cupholders, is just gravy on the recipe.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Twenty years old implies a TJ and in my experience they didn't run well when new.

If I purchase a new Jeep someday it will be despite the horrible experience of living three years with my 1997 Wrangler Sport and its more or less biweekly trips to the dealership service garage.
My TJ experience was completely different than yours. I had a 97 with the 4 and a stick (SLOW!,) that I traded for a 98 Sahara, with the 4.0, auto, A/C and dual tops. Drive that beast everyday for ten years/150 k with no issues at all. 16 mpg,s no matter how I drove. Took it hunting, fishing, exploring AND drove to work. Best rig I ever owned. After the 2.5 4 the 4.0 six felt like a rocket😏. Still regret getting rid of it. I sure hope my ‘20 does as well…
Sponsored