JL Sport Front Bumper Removal

carrma

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Islander Edition
Anyone have the instructions on how to remove the front bumper on a JLU Sport? Specifically trying to remove the tow hooks.

I would appreciate it.

Michael
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Took my plastic Rubicon bumper off so should be the same process

remove the plastic gap trim between the bumper and the grill on top and the lower air damn (sport probably need to also remove the fender gap filler) all easy plastic rivits just pop up middle piece of the rivits and the rest should slid out easy.

Disconnect the fog light wiring harness big grey plug on the passenger side frame rail

Remove the 8 nuts for the bumper 4 on each side the frame and slide bumper off

To get to the hooks you need to take the bumper completely apart, basically there is a metal core in there that the fog light wiring harness, lights, all the plastic trim is attached to with either screws or plastic rivits, so remove every thing you see

The tow hooks have the frame bolts pressed in similar to the jk and there are retainer clips ok them you need to rip off to get the metal core out then the hooks

Example of what the hooks look like
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12107_0006.htm

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
D5183996-BAA2-4968-BC81-D79BED85C4D7.jpeg
Everything that @Sheepjeep said. The only thing I can add is there are four bolts that hold the metal core to the plastic bumper. The euro fender ends will have to come off as well. The hooks look like they have some sort of captured nut on them but they appear to be plastic or very thin metal. Itā€™s kind of hard to tell what they are made of. A couple of hits with a Ford tool should separate the hooks from the core.

romeoz

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4xe
Took my plastic Rubicon bumper off so should be the same process

remove the plastic gap trim between the bumper and the grill on top and the lower air damn (sport probably need to also remove the fender gap filler) all easy plastic rivits just pop up middle piece of the rivits and the rest should slid out easy.

Disconnect the fog light wiring harness big grey plug on the passenger side frame rail

Remove the 8 nuts for the bumper 4 on each side the frame and slide bumper off

To get to the hooks you need to take the bumper completely apart, basically there is a metal core in there that the fog light wiring harness, lights, all the plastic trim is attached to with either screws or plastic rivits, so remove every thing you see

The tow hooks have the frame bolts pressed in similar to the jk and there are retainer clips ok them you need to rip off to get the metal core out then the hooks

Example of what the hooks look like
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12107_0006.htm
are you selling your plastic rubicon bumper?

Sponsored

Montania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
HELLO! First post to piggyback on this thread. My husband got in a slow speed accident in my brand new JLU Sahara :(
He rear ended another car while we were crawling on the interstate in crash slowed traffic.

MY bumper is scuffed/ damaged. Mostly the outward most areas on either side of the tag are kind of mushroomed?
My fog lights and tow hooks are fine.

I ordered another bumper and he will install it( and pay me for it) , my question is can the new plastic out bumper just be swapped out for the old one? And will it go around the tow hooks and lights or do they have to be removed and put on new one?
New bumper is complete bumper w/ 4? bolts removed from frame. It comes with no hooks or lights...

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Sorry to hear and you can swap it out but you will need to remove the inner metal piece from your exsisting bumper that covers your tow hooks and wire harness. You will need to remove the hooks, harness and fogs and most likely the metal ā€˜linerā€™ to swap to your new bumper.

HELLO! First post to piggyback on this thread. My husband got in a slow speed accident in my brand new JLU Sahara :(
He rear ended another car while we were crawling on the interstate in crash slowed traffic.

MY bumper is scuffed/ damaged. Mostly the outward most areas on either side of the tag are kind of mushroomed?
My fog lights and tow hooks are fine.

I ordered another bumper and he will install it( and pay me for it) , my question is can the new plastic out bumper just be swapped out for the old one? And will it go around the tow hooks and lights or do they have to be removed and put on new one?
New bumper is complete bumper w/ 4? bolts removed from frame. It comes with no hooks or lights...

Montania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Sorry to hear and you can swap it out but you will need to remove the inner metal piece from your exsisting bumper that covers your tow hooks and wire harness. You will need to remove the hooks, harness and fogs and most likely the metal ā€˜linerā€™ to swap to your new bumper.
Thank you!! SheepJeep above describes removing the clips to get to the pins/fasteners thru the hooks. can the clips be removed and reused or do you have to cut them or bend them to get the hooks out?
Thanks again for your help!

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
D5183996-BAA2-4968-BC81-D79BED85C4D7.jpeg
Everything that @Sheepjeep said. The only thing I can add is there are four bolts that hold the metal core to the plastic bumper. The euro fender ends will have to come off as well. The hooks look like they have some sort of captured nut on them but they appear to be plastic or very thin metal. Itā€™s kind of hard to tell what they are made of. A couple of hits with a Ford tool should separate the hooks from the core.
How do you separate that silver bolt (which connects to the tow hook) from the capture nut? I've been fighting to get my fog light harness out to no avail.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
I have a front and rear bumper for sale cheap
Sponsored