JL Sport Altitude with 275/70R 18, No Lift, No Rub

bgsujeeper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude Sport
Not great, everything was fine with he exception of corners especially at higher speeds, it didn’t feel stable. I’ve since went to 35x12.5 Duratrac’s D rated and it’s so much better.
I have the stock 255/70r18 (on stock wheels) on a 21 jlu sport altitude and have been thinking about this exact upgrade (275/70r18, stock wheels). I love the way it looked on your Jeep but your comment about the ride/handling has me worried.

Any specifics you can add to your comment would be helpful.

maybe someday will lift but it’s years off as this is my daily driver.

I do some light to moderate trails but pretty infrequently. Do these rub on trail rides?Any rubbing when off roading?

I’m just not ready to lose the factory handling, mpg, etc. with a full lift to 35s.
Sponsored

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
I have the stock 255/70r18 (on stock wheels) on a 21 jlu sport altitude and have been thinking about this exact upgrade (275/70r18, stock wheels). I love the way it looked on your Jeep but your comment about the ride/handling has me worried.

Any specifics you can add to your comment would be helpful.

maybe someday will lift but it’s years off as this is my daily driver.

I do some light to moderate trails but pretty infrequently. Do these rub on trail rides?Any rubbing when off roading?

I’m just not ready to lose the factory handling, mpg, etc. with a full lift to 35s.
I'm in the same boat, I just picked up my sport altitude a couple of weeks ago and a tire upgrade is happening next week. Basically on the 18s if you want 33s your getting an E rated tire and there is a potential for ride comfort sacrifice. I did the same swap on my F150 and it actually rode and drove better over the stock tires hoping for the same. If you want to avoid the E load tires you can go to a 265/70 and get an SL rated tire and there are numerous options in that size and will save you a few dollars since tire prices are stupid right now. Curious to know what tires you got from the factory with yours? I got bridgestone dueler ht on mine even though I opted for the cold weather group, lsd rear end, towing package and the 8.4 inch premium audio and tech package.

bgsujeeper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude Sport
I'm in the same boat, I just picked up my sport altitude a couple of weeks ago and a tire upgrade is happening next week. Basically on the 18s if you want 33s your getting an E rated tire and there is a potential for ride comfort sacrifice. I did the same swap on my F150 and it actually rode and drove better over the stock tires hoping for the same. If you want to avoid the E load tires you can go to a 265/70 and get an SL rated tire and there are numerous options in that size and will save you a few dollars since tire prices are stupid right now. Curious to know what tires you got from the factory with yours? I got bridgestone dueler ht on mine even though I opted for the cold weather group, lsd rear end, towing package and the 8.4 inch premium audio and tech package.
I also received the Bridgestone Dueler HT tires (which, if I researched right, are B rated). I didn’t get the factory installed hitch but have installed the mopar hitch since. It seems that the 21 JLU altitude sport comes with the Sahara suspension (upgraded axles) so hopefully that information is correct.

I have been reading a lot about E rated tires and it doesn’t seem that there is a super big difference in ride comfort or handling (it is a Jeep, after all); I’ll look at that size though.

I’d love to just go to 285/70r18 and just do a spacer lift and tires at the same time though… not sure about the kiddos getting into the car!