JL Specific Auto Transmission Service Details

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I don't see the warranty claims, but AMSOIL says their oil has never failed and I have never seen anyone prove that it did. I sell to over 500 accounts for the past 17 years and have never seen a proven AMSOIL related failure. You would think one would have popped up on the internet by now. A higher performing oil could meet and exceed many specifications of a lower performing oil. Castrol has a multi-vehicle automatic transmission for most vehicles, over 20 listed https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...CCF193E80257BA5006EB93F/$File/BPXE-99LBRT.pdf
Oh, now we're to the meat and potatoes...you're part of the pyramid! I had a girlfriend who once sold Tupperware, so I get it. You gotta hustle, and you're passionate about what makes you money.

For one thing, I don't think anyone with or a tech diagnosing a shift quality issue has ever sent the fluid out to be tested to determine what brand it was. So, Amsoil continues under the cloak of anonymity.

Do you think an OEM would really go out of the way to have two or more fluids if one could do the job of both? I can assure you that offering more than one ATF is a huge burden on the OEs. They'd love to keep it as just one. Sure, more fluids may "work" but they don't provide the same shift quality as intended. Sure, it may be fine for most Amsoil or Castrol customers, but not as good as it could be or as good as it's supposed to be.
Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Oh, now we're to the meat and potatoes...you're part of the pyramid! I had a girlfriend who once sold Tupperware, so I get it. You gotta hustle, and you're passionate about what makes you money.

For one thing, I don't think anyone with or a tech diagnosing a shift quality issue has ever sent the fluid out to be tested to determine what brand it was. So, Amsoil continues under the cloak of anonymity.

Do you think an OEM would really go out of the way to have two or more fluids if one could do the job of both? I can assure you that offering more than one ATF is a huge burden on the OEs. They'd love to keep it as just one. Sure, more fluids may "work" but they don't provide the same shift quality as intended. Sure, it may be fine for most Amsoil or Castrol customers, but not as good as it could be or as good as it's supposed to be.
Valvoline lists over 90 applications for their multi vehicle ATF. https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1 .

AMSOIL has a much smaller "pyramid" than Shell Oil and other oil companies. I was part of Shell Oil's "pyramid" for 27 years. Nothing wrong with that.

Anytime a fluid is suspect, a good tech will ask for analysis.

One ATF can not meet all industry specs. That is why AMSOIL and the others offer several ATFs (AMSOIL offers 10 synthetic ones). But one fluid can meet the demands of several specifications as proven by the ATF companies for decades.

Last edited:

Tharsis

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2008 Ford Ranger
I changed the pan and fluid with about 35,000 miles on a stock Rubicon. I followed the instructions on the first page of this thread and it was pretty straight forward.

About 5.5 qts of fluid came out and I replaced it with Amsoil ATL. I also got a new pan/filter to put on, Mopar 68408606AA.

I have put about 1000 miles on it since the change and so far it shifts perfectly.

PXL_20200915_233412424.jpg

PXL_20200911_230008101.jpg

PXL_20200913_163626956.jpg

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I changed the pan and fluid with about 35,000 miles on a stock Rubicon. I followed the instructions on the first page of this thread and it was pretty straight forward.

About 5.5 qts of fluid came out and I replaced it with Amsoil ATL. I also got a new pan/filter to put on, Mopar 68408606AA.

I have put about 1000 miles on it since the change and so far it shifts perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Specific Auto Transmission Service Details PXL_20200913_163626956

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Specific Auto Transmission Service Details PXL_20200913_163626956

On the JL the pan is stamped steel vs the composite used on other Jeeps/dodges

When you dropped the JL pan, does it have a replaceable filter or does one have to purchase another steel pan with the filter integrated into the pan?

I had scored a couple cases of the Mopar 8/9 spd ZF fluid for about 6$ a qt a few years back and used about 5 qts for my Grand Cherokee with Hemi. Picked up a mopar pan/filter for 100$ and had my pal at the dealer do the service, charge about 1 hr labor.

anyhow keep every one informed as to the results using the Amsoil ATL fluid. If that works with no issues I would think it would be a good option and probably a better fluid since it mostly PAO wheras the ZF fluid is only a semi-synthetic from what I have read on their data sheets.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

When you dropped the JL pan, does it have a replaceable filter or does one have to purchase another steel pan with the filter integrated into the pan?

I had scored a couple cases of the Mopar 8/9 spd ZF fluid for about 6$ a qt a few years back and used about 5 qts for my Grand Cherokee with Hemi. Picked up a mopar pan/filter for 100$ and had my pal at the dealer do the service, charge about 1 hr labor.

anyhow keep every one informed as to the results using the Amsoil ATL fluid. If that works with no issues I would think it would be a good option and probably a better fluid since it mostly PAO wheras the ZF fluid is only a semi-synthetic from what I have read on their data sheets.
If I remember correctly when I had the tranny shop do mine they were able to just replace the filter. I know others have said the filter is integrated into the pan but that is not the case.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

AFAIK the Redline ATF is also another viable option.
https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf

Reactions: VNT

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thought I would bring this tread back up to the top, mods should sticky it.

Has anyone else done a trans service and if so what did you you use for the filter and fluid, what were your results.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone used the PPE pan

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Specific Auto Transmission Service Details 1623771439283

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
thought I would bring this tread back up to the top, mods should sticky it.

Has anyone else done a trans service and if so what did you you use for the filter and fluid, what were your results.
i am currently doing a video and write up on the JL 8 speed service. Filter is replaceable without a new pan. I used mopar 8/9 speed ATF fluid. Also adding lubegard platinum. Should be up in next week or so.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
Anyone used the PPE pan

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Specific Auto Transmission Service Details 1623771439283
I don't have enough miles to change my fluid yet, but when I do I plan to use an aftermarket aluminum pan. This looks like a nice one.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it's based on how you use your Jeep but I just can't see the sense in the aluminum pan. That pan will not take a hit with a rock nicely. At least with a steel pan it's going to dent and give. An AL pan like this will more than likely crack. I can think of WAY more ways to spend $300 on my Jeep :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I guess it's based on how you use your Jeep but I just can't see the sense in the aluminum pan. That pan will not take a hit with a rock nicely. At least with a steel pan it's going to dent and give. An AL pan like this will more than likely crack. I can think of WAY more ways to spend $300 on my Jeep :)
I'm putting DIY skids on mine in the near future, probably cost about $300 in materials but will cover from the front of the oil pan through the transfer case and everything in-between, even that annoying exhaust loop. Think that's money better spent :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm putting DIY skids on mine in the near future, probably cost about $300 in materials but will cover from the front of the oil pan through the transfer case and everything in-between, even that annoying exhaust loop. Think that's money better spent :)
Yep, I dropped $350 on the quadratec aluminum skid that covers the oil pan and tranny pan and it has been money well spent. That thing has taken a severe beating and done well.
Sponsored