First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
So you bought two types?

How many quarts do you need?
No, I did not buy two types. I was just showing that there were 2 options. Since it is for my Jeep, I bought the Signature Series. I was not sure of the capacity, so I just ordered a case of 12 quarts. I plan to keep the Jeep a long time and will be changing more than once, so I am not concerned with having a few extra quarts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice to see this thread progressing, I've used Valvoline Maxlife in place of Nissan Matic-S which is a pretty finicky transmission (Infiniti G37) and has performed flawlessly for the 40 k miles since I changed it. I've seen some youtube stuff w/ several ZF8 transmissions running that Maxlife w/ good results. Hopefully by the time I'm doing the service there will be a better idea of what ATFs work the best w/ these transmissions. That Amsoil & Redline look like viable options, so maybe spending upwards of $20/qt isn't inevitable :)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Royce, YOU DA MAN!!
Nice find! I guess only way to drain is to remove the pan, dump the ATF and refill as per the procedure.

I would imagine you could do it ghetto style and just dump the ATF at room temp and add the exact amount you removed (also at room temp), then make sure you top it off at the proper running temp, as per the fill plug method.

Too bad you have to have a high lift to do this exactly as documented, but at least this gives you a definitive correct way to service the beast :)

But I wouldn't be too concerned w/ short cuts as long as most of the old fluid has been changed (and ONLY w/ the proper FCA ATF), and changing it more often to negate some of the short cuts might not be too bad (and much better than leaving the original ATF in forever) :)

BTW Royce, where did you find this???
It looks like the information was pulled from the Service Manual. I have the USB (card) version of the service manual and I'll look up the fluid specs. I think it was just over $135 or so for the manual. Worth the bucks if you're doing your own service/repair. You'll save the cost in the first DIY service you do.

As for needing a lift, it's pretty clear you could do this in a common driveway with just the rear wheels off the ground, as long as the vehicle is level (sloped driveway or ramps under front tires). Nothing in the procedure has the front wheels driven and turning. They're just ensuring fluid throughout the transmission and cooler by putting it in gear and driving the output shaft.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HamiltonGuy

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Hey Guys, Thanks. Can you point me to any ZF documentation where they share what THEY recommend as the service interval for this transmission. I know FCA says it doesn't require service. I have Read what forum members are saying, but would like to find it in writing, so-to-speak.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dino,
I'll look for the service interval in the service manual. Meanwhile, here's the fluid requirement.
Jeep ATF.JPG

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I reviewed my Tech Authority Service Manual in the NAFTA models service section. I didn't see any service listed for the automatic trans at all.

That being said, my personal plan is to change the ATF as a "service". I think most DIY members here are thinking the same thing. But I'm leaning toward the recommended fluid. I'm not interested in being that "...pioneer..." someone mentioned in this thread. But I'd be interested in hearing what the benefits are of aftermarket fluid, other than cost.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ZF 8&9 speed ATF or equivalent, now to find the best equivalent :)
Good thing I've got about 3 years (at my current rate of mile accumulation) to find it :)

Thanks @Rubycon50 & @roaniecowpony for posting this valuable info!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
ZF 8&9 speed ATF or equivalent, now to find the best equivalent :)
Good thing I've got about 3 years (at my current rate of mile accumulation) to find it :)

Thanks @Rubycon50 & @roaniecowpony for posting this valuable info!
Yeah, I'm under 10k miles at the 16 month mark. I'll probably average more over the next few years, because I had another daily driver that I sold since we had 4 cars with 2 drivers in the house. But, I also don't work anymore, so "daily driver" means no commuting to work. Just grocery store and such.

On the fluid, I'm always cautious about "equivalent" when the consequences are high. Like: What's the downside and upside to each choice? If I can't answer the questions about verifying (what is "equivalent" ?), or what the benefit is, I just don't see an upside to going with something not specified by my manufacturer. If it could be verified that the substitute fluid made these transmission last longer on average, I'd be in.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Here's what I could find on the ZF website about fluids.
https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/lol-lubricants/lol-en/lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf
ZF ATF 8HP50 fluid.JPG

zf interval.JPG

On the service interval, it says they recommend replacing the fluid after 150,000 Km. But they also have a caveat about heavy/extreme usage for earlier replacement. I would interpret their recommendation for earlier replacement similar to other makers like GM and Ford where towing and any high temperature excursions of the fluid would get changed out. There are plenty of websites that give guidance on fluid replacement intervals and temperatures that adversely affect fluid. I'd say if you're towing at the limit for annual summer vacations, change it annually or bi-annually, depending on how hot the fluid gets and how many miles you drive. If you're a fanatical crawler, maybe same thing. Me? I drive mostly to the store and annual treks on dirt roads and trails. I'll probably do a 50K change.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I'm under 10k miles at the 16 month mark. I'll probably average more over the next few years, because I had another daily driver that I sold since we had 4 cars with 2 drivers in the house. But, I also don't work anymore, so "daily driver" means no commuting to work. Just grocery store and such.

On the fluid, I'm always cautious about "equivalent" when the consequences are high. Like: What's the downside and upside to each choice? If I can't answer the questions about verifying (what is "equivalent" ?), or what the benefit is, I just don't see an upside to going with something not specified by my manufacturer. If it could be verified that the substitute fluid made these transmission last longer on average, I'd be in.
An extra $8-10 for OEM fluid done every 60k miles (probably 4 to 5 years at my rate) comes out to $100 more give or take, pretty insignificant upcharge for something the manufacturer is fairly specific about.

In that 3-4 year time frame from now, there should be a pretty decent track record for a few of the other options, but time will tell I suppose.

And maybe, just maybe the OEM stuff won't be so much higher by then too :)

OP
OP
HamiltonGuy

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Hey Roaniecowpony, That's great. Thanks.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)