First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
  • Banned
Hey Folks,
Is there anyone on here that can provide JL specific ZF 8 speed auto transmission service details. Details on part numbers, steps to follow etc. would be helpful. I can find information online for the RAM, but I am interested in JL specific information.
Thanks
Sponsored

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Hey Folks,
Is there anyone on here that can provide JL specific ZF 8 speed auto transmission service details. Details on part numbers, steps to follow etc. would be helpful. I can find information online for the RAM, but I am interested in JL specific information.
Thanks
I have been trying to figure this exact question out for a few months now. Our Jeep is creeping up on 50,000 miles. I have stopped at two Jeep dealers and two transmission places to find out either how to service the transmission or how much it will cost. One independent was clueless to the point of being frightening. The lowest Quote was $450.00 at a transmission shop. He did add a "don't hold me to that price it could cost more" Both Jeep dealers just wanted to argue that the transmission did not need any service. Basically run it till it stops and have a rebuilt put in the Jeep. The cost to change the fluid was $750.00 at one Place and $1000.00 at the other. Kind of if you insist on servicing the transmission we will be more than happy to rape your bank account.
I am going to take a whack at servicing the transmission myself. As soon as I round up the parts, I will post where I got the parts from and what I did to service the transmission. I will also post how I did it and what the end results were. Hopefully I do not detonate the transmission in my garage.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hope between the two of you or someone else we can get a specific procedure for this. I still can't believe there's no FSM documentation on how to perform this service. I will be doing a DIY on this when the time comes but it will be a couple more years at the miles we're putting on our JL. At least by then there should be a clear path to take regarding this.

Should really be pretty basic although it does require a new pan w/ integrated filter, so at least $100 for that plus the ATF, found that on Amazon for about $20 qt.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There is an aftermarket pan that has a changeable filter. I will pass on the information once I locate a source of the parts.
Spoken like a true pioneer!
Look forward to the results :)

Sponsored

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ

Canuck714

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2014 Roush Raptor, 2020 JLU Willy's
Vehicle Showcase
Not related to your Service Thread, but found some Trans info on another Off Road Forum that I Re-Posted...

The ZF 8HP is the new transmission coming in the JL, JT and Dodge Ram 1/2 ton trucks and is really one of the biggest upgrades to the new Wrangler, IMO. The ZF 8HP has been used in many other very different vehicles, starting with a BMW 760Li fitted with the V12 engine, as well as vehicles from Aston Martin, Fiat Chrysler, Jaguar Land Rover, and Volkswagen too.

The ZF 8HP is rated up to 1000 ft/lbs of torque in some variations that demand that much power and it's built so that the torque converter can be replaced with an electric motor, for a mild hybrid drive. The efficient, low-mass triple-line torque converter’s lower inertia helps during shifting and starting, while its twin torsional damper system allows fast engagement with little “slip.” Other efficiency and shift-improvement features include a hydrodynamically cooled clutch, low-viscosity transmission fluid, and chain-driven axial parallel vane cell pump.

The transmission uses four planetary gearsets and five gear shift elements (two brakes, three clutches); there are two opened shift elements per gear, minimizing drag losses. Only two shift elements are open in each gear, cutting parasitic losses; and it can make extreme transmission shifts, such as eight-to-second kickdown, in one step.

The gear ratio spread of 7.0 ensures that the engine is always in its optimum operating range and close to peak torque. -

Gear 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 R Spread
Ratio
4.71 3.14 2.10 1.67 1.29 1.00 0.84 0.67 2.65 7.03

OP
OP
HamiltonGuy

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
  • Banned
Wow. Good to have that info so we can appreciate our awesome transmissions.
If anyone can post JL specific oil and filter service instructions, that would be awesome.

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Good to have that info so we can appreciate our awesome transmissions.
If anyone can post JL specific oil and filter service instructions, that would be awesome.
I’m rebuilding a JL and need to top up the transmission oil that was lost during the collision. Would be great to learn how to top it up. Are there any Jeep service guys out there that know anything about this?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Found it. Feast your eyes!
Royce, YOU DA MAN!!
Nice find! I guess only way to drain is to remove the pan, dump the ATF and refill as per the procedure.

I would imagine you could do it ghetto style and just dump the ATF at room temp and add the exact amount you removed (also at room temp), then make sure you top it off at the proper running temp, as per the fill plug method.

Too bad you have to have a high lift to do this exactly as documented, but at least this gives you a definitive correct way to service the beast :)

But I wouldn't be too concerned w/ short cuts as long as most of the old fluid has been changed (and ONLY w/ the proper FCA ATF), and changing it more often to negate some of the short cuts might not be too bad (and much better than leaving the original ATF in forever) :)

BTW Royce, where did you find this???

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation