Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I topped up my transmission this afternoon. Keep in mind that my jeep had been in a collision with the previous owner and the transmission cooler was destroyed. I have replaced all of the damaged parts and I needed to replace the transmission oil that was lost. I don't know how much the transmission cooler holds but I suspect it's not a whole lot, maybe half a quart plus what I lost in the lines. All up I expected to replace 3/4 quart of fluid. I followed the instructions that were posted earlier in the thread and ended up replacing exactly 3/4 quart, maybe slightly more. Test drove it afterwards and it's shifting like butter, no issues at all. I don't know if it had an issues before I drove it today as this is the very first time it has been driven since the repair.

Even though I was only topping up it really was no big deal, just follow the steps. I don't have a code reader, which I need as I have a million other codes going off right now due to air bag deployment etc, however I don't see any transmission codes....I think.

IMG_0298.jpeg
IMG_0299.jpeg
IMG_0300.jpeg

I was a little surprised at the condition of the original 'lifetime' oil with only 20,000 miles on it. I would be inclined to ignore the lifetime oil claim and replace it at some sort of interval. It looked like lots of sediment in it although it's hard to see from the picture. The original oil is clear. Anyway, make your own mind up on this. I'm a rookie for sure.
IMG_0302.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Is a bit on the black side, too bad these don't have drain plugs so you could get a better idea of the true fluid condition without a full pan drop.

Thanks for the pics and glad it was easy to get to.

Looks like that Redline D6 ATF is recommended for our Jeep 8AT and $12.95/qt is a nice price
https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf
Popular on the Bimmer Forums for their ATs that use Lifeguard 8.

Here's the application listing on their site

Red Line full-synthetic D6 ATF is a lower viscosity version of the D4ATF and is designed for better fuel efficiency in CAFE testing. Dexron VI requires a different approach to a conventional ATF formulation. Rather than beginning with a 7.5 cSt fluid and allowing a viscosity loss in use to drop to 5.5 cSt, the Dexron VI fluid requires a starting viscosity of less than 6.4 and a final drop to no less than 5.5 cSt. Red Line D6 will drop to no less than 6.1 cSt. Since the final viscosity after use of these fluids are similar, Dexron VI fluids can be used where Dexron III fluids were previously recommended (except for some manual transmission applications, our customers report).

D6 ATF also provides significantly improved gear protection and will provide a GL-4 level of gear protection. The balanced frictional characteristics provide smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals. The superior stability compared to petroleum ATFs allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches which leads to transmission failure.

Suitable Replacement For:

Aisin Warner AW-1
ATF 134
BMW/Mini 83 22 0 142 516 (M-1375.4)
BMW/Mini 83 22 2 152 426 (M-L12108)
BMW/Mini 83 22 0 432 807
BMW/Mini 83 22 0 397 114
BMW/Mini MTF-LT-3
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep ZF 8/9 Speed
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68157995AA

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68157995AB
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68218925AA
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68218925GA
Ford Mercon® SP
Ford Mercon® LV
Ford WSS-M2C938-A
Ford XT-10-QLV
Ford XT-10-QLVC
Ford XT-10-DLV
GM Dexron® VI
Honda/Acura ATF-DW1
Honda/Acura Acura Type 3.0
Hyndai/Kia SP-IV
Jaguar/Land Rover Shell M-1375.4
MB 236.12
MB 236.14
MB 236.41
MB 722.9
MB Fuchs ATF 3353
MB NAG-2
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-IV
Mitsubishi Diamond Queen ATF J3
Nissan/Infinity 999MP-MTS00P
Nissan/Infinity NissanMatic S
Shell L12108
Shell 3403 M115
Subaru SOA635047
Toyota/Lexus JWS 3324
Toyota/Lexus NWS-9638
Toyota/Lexus Toyota Type WS
VW/Audi G 055 005
VW/Audi G 055 540
VW/Audi G 060 162
Volvo 31 256 774
Volvo 31 256 775
ZF Lifeguard 6/6 PLUS 8
ZF6/8

Dexron and Mercon are trademarks of General Motors and Ford Motor Co., respectively.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I topped up my transmission this afternoon. Keep in mind that my jeep had been in a collision with the previous owner and the transmission cooler was destroyed. I have replaced all of the damaged parts and I needed to replace the transmission oil that was lost. I don't know how much the transmission cooler holds but I suspect it's not a whole lot, maybe half a quart plus what I lost in the lines. All up I expected to replace 3/4 quart of fluid. I followed the instructions that were posted earlier in the thread and ended up replacing exactly 3/4 quart, maybe slightly more. Test drove it afterwards and it's shifting like butter, no issues at all. I don't know if it had an issues before the I drove it today because this is the very first time it has been driven since the repair.
Even though I was only topping up it really was no big deal, just follow the steps. I don't have a code reader, which I need as I have a million other codes going off right now, however I don't see any transmission codes....I think.

IMG_0298.jpeg
IMG_0299.jpeg
IMG_0300.jpeg

I was a little surprised at the condition of the original 'lifetime' oil with only 20,000 miles on it. I would be inclined to ignore the lifetime oil claim and replace it at some sort of interval. It looked like lots of sediment in it although it's hard to see from the picture. The original oil is clear. Anyway, make your own mind up on this. I'm a rookie for sure.
IMG_0302.jpeg

Looks way burnt. Put it on the list of things to do after you get the project up for regular usage.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
She has 37" tires without any regearing. I'm not sure if the extra load may have contributed to the condition of the oil?
It's possible. The big tires might be causing some continuous slipping Also, towing a trailer might do this, or a lot of running in the sand, rocks, etc.. But yes, that large of a tire puts a lot more load on the driveline. Also, being socal Jeep, it likely saw local desert use. A Rubicon has such a low gearing in the 4L transfer case that most of the time it would be in 4H out there in the desert.

Sponsored

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
I will definitely be doing an early transmission fluid change. I plan to keep my Jeep a long time and changing the fluids is the best way to make it last as long as possible. Chrysler does not make any ATF. Someone makes it for them and they put their label on it. I believe performance aftermarket company's like Amsoil and Redline make higher quality products. When I ordered the Amsoil ATF, it was not to save money, but because I believe it to be a higher quality option. I emailed their tech department to confirm the correct fluid to replace the Chrysler 68157995AA. They actually have 2 different fluid options for the JL transmission. The less expensive one is only $9.95 qt.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/oe-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid-otl/?zo=226468
I ordered the Signature option, which was $17.50 qt.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-...c-automatic-transmission-fluid-atl/?zo=226468

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I don't know about the Mopar magic fluid but at least some modern ATFs like MercLV will look dark almost immediately. Sediment is another issue, but basing on color not always accurate these days:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Is a bit on the black side, too bad these don't have drain plugs so you could get a better idea of the true fluid condition without a full pan drop.

Thanks for the pics and glad it was easy to get to.

Looks like that Redline D6 ATF is recommended for our Jeep 8AT and $12.95/qt is a nice price
https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf
Popular on the Bimmer Forums for their ATs that use Lifeguard 8.

Here's the application listing on their site

Red Line full-synthetic D6 ATF is a lower viscosity version of the D4ATF and is designed for better fuel efficiency in CAFE testing. Dexron VI requires a different approach to a conventional ATF formulation. Rather than beginning with a 7.5 cSt fluid and allowing a viscosity loss in use to drop to 5.5 cSt, the Dexron VI fluid requires a starting viscosity of less than 6.4 and a final drop to no less than 5.5 cSt. Red Line D6 will drop to no less than 6.1 cSt. Since the final viscosity after use of these fluids are similar, Dexron VI fluids can be used where Dexron III fluids were previously recommended (except for some manual transmission applications, our customers report).

D6 ATF also provides significantly improved gear protection and will provide a GL-4 level of gear protection. The balanced frictional characteristics provide smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals. The superior stability compared to petroleum ATFs allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches which leads to transmission failure.

Suitable Replacement For:

Aisin Warner AW-1
ATF 134
BMW/Mini 83 22 0 142 516 (M-1375.4)
BMW/Mini 83 22 2 152 426 (M-L12108)
BMW/Mini 83 22 0 432 807
BMW/Mini 83 22 0 397 114
BMW/Mini MTF-LT-3
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep ZF 8/9 Speed
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68157995AA

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68157995AB
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68218925AA
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep 68218925GA
Ford Mercon® SP
Ford Mercon® LV
Ford WSS-M2C938-A
Ford XT-10-QLV
Ford XT-10-QLVC
Ford XT-10-DLV
GM Dexron® VI
Honda/Acura ATF-DW1
Honda/Acura Acura Type 3.0
Hyndai/Kia SP-IV
Jaguar/Land Rover Shell M-1375.4
MB 236.12
MB 236.14
MB 236.41
MB 722.9
MB Fuchs ATF 3353
MB NAG-2
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-IV
Mitsubishi Diamond Queen ATF J3
Nissan/Infinity 999MP-MTS00P
Nissan/Infinity NissanMatic S
Shell L12108
Shell 3403 M115
Subaru SOA635047
Toyota/Lexus JWS 3324
Toyota/Lexus NWS-9638
Toyota/Lexus Toyota Type WS
VW/Audi G 055 005
VW/Audi G 055 540
VW/Audi G 060 162
Volvo 31 256 774
Volvo 31 256 775
ZF Lifeguard 6/6 PLUS 8
ZF6/8

Dexron and Mercon are trademarks of General Motors and Ford Motor Co., respectively.
Any fluid that says it's compatible with all those, is BS. I'm not going into details, but I know a couple of those fluids on that list from a given brand, and they are different. Even that brand strongly recommends not swapping them. So one other aftermarket fluid can do both? BS. I've always thought of Amsoil and Redline products to be snake oils, and this proves it to me (at least for Redline, in this case).

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Any fluid that says it's compatible with all those, is BS. I'm not going into details, but I know a couple of those fluids on that list from a given brand, and they are different. Even that brand strongly recommends not swapping them. So one other aftermarket fluid can do both? BS. I've always thought of Amsoil and Redline products to be snake oils, and this proves it to me (at least for Redline, in this case).
Why have you always thought of AMSOIL as snake oil?

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why have you always thought of AMSOIL as snake oil?
I've seen similar "equivalencies" claims in the past. Sure, they do have some OK products, but no better or worse than most other stuff. I just don't buy into the hype that it's the next greatest oil to Slick 50. Maybe it is. ;)

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen similar "equivalencies" claims in the past. Sure, they do have some OK products, but no better or worse than most other stuff. I just don't buy into the hype that it's the next greatest oil to Slick 50. Maybe it is. ;)
All the oil companies have equivalencies claims. But none as long for synthetics as AMSOIL and without a single documented failure and with a parts and labor warranty should it ever fail, which it never has in nearly 50 years. If you know of a better product than AMSOIL, let me know. This retired Shell Oil chemist has been looking for 17 years and hasn't found one yet.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the oil companies have equivalencies claims. But none as long for synthetics as AMSOIL and without a single documented failure and with a parts and labor warranty should it ever fail, which it never has in nearly 50 years. If you know of a better product than AMSOIL, let me know. This retired Shell Oil chemist has been looking for 17 years and hasn't found one yet.
I'll just say that you don't see all the warranty claims. You also don't see all the issues/failures that occur outside the manufacturer's warranty. You also don't see all those have have reduced transmission shift quality concerns - especially from those drivers's who don't know their transmission doesn't shift as good as the proper fluid. If you're a true chemist and had a bit of understanding of engineering, then you should know that one oil can't meet all the design criteria of 50 (random number) specifications. It's a good thing you're retired, because the world has moved far past your area of expertise.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll just say that you don't see all the warranty claims. If you're a true chemist and had a bit of understanding of engineering, then you should know that one oil can't meet all the design criteria of 50 (random number) specifications.
I don't see the warranty claims, but AMSOIL says their oil has never failed and I have never seen anyone prove that it did. I sell to over 500 accounts for the past 17 years and have never seen a proven AMSOIL related failure. You would think one would have popped up on the internet by now. A higher performing oil could meet and exceed many specifications of a lower performing oil. Castrol has a multi-vehicle automatic transmission for most vehicles, over 20 listed https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...CCF193E80257BA5006EB93F/$File/BPXE-99LBRT.pdf Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF lists 11 it meets https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-123034/applications

Last edited: