Sponsored

JL Soft Top Question and Secure Box/Deck? Help...

Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I apologize if this has been asked, I’ve been searching for a couple days and could not find an answer.

I created an account because I’m sure this site will be a valuable resource as I start my “Jeep Journey” and looking for an answer to the following:

With a 2018 Wrangler JLU with a soft top, is there a product to safely secure an area in the rear of the Jeep AND allow the soft top to be taken down and properly snapped to ride with the top down? I found a box online but it doesn’t allow to properly secure the soft top while open.

Edit: to be clear, I’m not looking to secure my soft top to a box or a deck, I’m wondering if the soft top can work properly in harmony with either of these. Can you take the soft top all the way down (like it was designed) with one of these after market products installed?

Thanks in advance!

Eddie
Sponsored

Last edited:

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. You've basically got 3 options right now. There's a lot of good discussion in this thread here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tuffy-security-deck-for-jl-wrangler.9082/
with pictures etc.

But basically you can go for the Tuffy Security Enclosure (~$450), The diabolical slipstream ($700), or the Backbone ($700).

I had the tuffy on my '11 JK and I really liked it, but this time around I'll probably get the diabolical b/c it suits my needs a little better and gives a tad more space.

OP
OP
Eddie

Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Thank you, I will check out that thread! All the research I did said you could not actually lock your soft top down when it’s open with the Tuffy or Backbone on the new JL. Maybe/hopefully that’s since changed...

OP
OP
Eddie

Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Yes. You've basically got 3 options right now. There's a lot of good discussion in this thread here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tuffy-security-deck-for-jl-wrangler.9082/
with pictures etc.

But basically you can go for the Tuffy Security Enclosure (~$450), The diabolical slipstream ($700), or the Backbone ($700).

I had the tuffy on my '11 JK and I really liked it, but this time around I'll probably get the diabolical b/c it suits my needs a little better and gives a tad more space.

Read the whole thing. That thread does not address my question, unfortunately. Somebody must know if you can properly take your soft top down (secure it) and use a box at the save time.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I apologize if this has been asked, I’ve been searching for a couple days and could not find an answer.

I created an account because I’m sure this site will be a valuable resource as I start my “Jeep Journey” and looking for an answer to the following:

With a 2018 Wrangler JLU with a soft top, is there a product to safely secure an area in the rear of the Jeep AND allow the soft top to be taken down and properly snapped to ride with the top down? I found a box online but it doesn’t allow to properly secure the soft top while open.

Thanks in advance!

Eddie

Eddie...

And I ask this void of editorial....

sometimes a newbie isn't sure what they want, or that which is available.

Do you seek a lockable box such that valuables in it are secured irrespective of the soft top's position, as in fairness you did clearly ask,

...or do you seek merely a partition to divert prying eyes away from valuables?

If the latter, do you seek a partition you can store stuff on top of or not?

Certainly commentary above about a lock box is sound.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eddie

Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Eddie...

And I ask this void of editorial....

sometimes a newbie isn't sure what they want, or that which is available.

Do you seek a lockable box such that valuables in it are secured irrespective of the soft top's position, as in fairness you did clearly ask,

...or do you seek merely a partition to divert prying eyes away from valuables?

If the latter, do you seek a partition you can store stuff on top of or not?

Certainly commentary above about a lock box is sound.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I want a secure box (not just the appearance of one) like Tuffy or the Backbone bit for the life of me I can’t figure out if you can have one of these and properly lower and secure your JLU soft top at the same time.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Sorry, I should have clarified. I want a secure box (not just the appearance of one) like Tuffy or the Backbone bit for the life of me I can’t figure out if you can have one of these and properly lower and secure your JLU soft top at the same time.
you made yourself very clear...I was simply pushing the envelope on what you wanted as there are cheaper options if the "hide from prying eyes option," over that and the physical lock solution was your play :)

no worries

Last edited:

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Any of those 3 will work soft top up, soft top down, hard top on, hard top off. It sounds kinda like you are wanting to secure the soft top itself and there's nothing out there that I've seen (and it require decent tools and some time to remove the soft top).

Like Russ said there are certainly other options as well in the DIY range (lockboxes bolted to the frame, etc) and other options like the under seat lockboxes that tuffy makes.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
The Diabolical Slipstream does not affect the full operation of a soft top in any way. Not sure about the others, but I wouldn’t see why they would affect a soft top.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eddie

Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
The Diabolical Slipstream does not affect the full operation of a soft top in any way. Not sure about the others, but I wouldn’t see why they would affect a soft top.
I have read (somewhere) that the Tuffy wouldn’t let you “snap” the JLU soft top down in the final step of securing, while riding around without the top on. Of course that’s a deal breaker for me and that’s the answer I am seeking.

I assume these boxes would be big enough to store the rear and side window.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
I have read (somewhere) that the Tuffy wouldn’t let you “snap” the JLU soft top down in the final step of securing, while riding around without the top on. Of course that’s a deal breaker for me and that’s the answer I am seeking.

I assume these boxes would be big enough to store the rear and side window.

The Diabolical Slipstream isn’t a box, it’s actually a deck that mounts at the height of the rear body. You can store the soft top window storage bag on top of or under the deck, but can’t store the bag vertically behind the rear seats while still using the Slipstream in a fully secure way front panel and lid in place and secured.

OP
OP
Eddie

Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
No I get that part. Thanks. I just seek clarification if any of these (secure) boxes and/or decks allow you to use the soft top as it’s intended to be used and properly secure it down when driving without the roof on.

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
Last edited:

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Something I just ordered on Amazon, not just to secure the soft top when it's in the down position, but any and every valuable rather than buy a security deck cover for anywhere from 4 00to $700! I will wait until the tonneau covers come out for the JL eventually. If you cut this lock 110 decibel alarm goes off, if you move the lock same thing happens and that's going to scare anyone off. I'm going to use it to secure a large husky 55 gallon mobile work box, beach chairs whatever I have and I will wrap it around the roll bar. we shall see :)

https://nuvending.com/products/nulo...-lock-110db-alarm-with-cellphone-notification
Sponsored