JL Soft Top Add-On Questions

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I see plenty of threads about adding a hardtop after the fact, but not as many on adding the softtop.

I really wanted to order the Dual Top Option, but no dealers in San Diego even seemed to understand what it was...as a Jeep newbie, I ended up backing off and going with Hardtop only from the lot. Kicking myself for doing so at this point as I really want both options.

Some questions - specific for a JLU:

1) So if you take off the hardtop, looks like a bit of work to install the soft top. After that initial install, can you leave any of the parts on and drop the hardtop back on, or do you have to remove/install every time? How long is that process?

2) What is the primary difference in the Soft top options offered on MOPAR website? I see a number of options:

Soft Top - 82215146 - $2250 (Premium acrylic w/ tinted windows) - 4 dr
Soft Top - 82215805 - $1600 (black vinyl w/ tinted windows) - 4 dr
Soft Top - 82215915 - $1650 (black vinyl, non-tinted) - 4 Dr
Soft Top - 82215916 - $2350 (black premium, non-tinted) - 4 Dr

Seems that more expensive is premium vs regular vinyl...but you pay more for non-tinted windows...I assume each come with all the fittings to install, though non-tinted options are only ones that say that in description.

So is premium top that much better than normal vinyl?

Push me to another thread if this info is elsewhere...thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I see plenty of threads about adding a hardtop after the fact, but not as many on adding the softtop.

I really wanted to order the Dual Top Option, but no dealers in San Diego even seemed to understand what it was...as a Jeep newbie, I ended up backing off and going with Hardtop only from the lot. Kicking myself for doing so at this point as I really want both options.

Some questions - specific for a JLU:

1) So if you take off the hardtop, looks like a bit of work to install the soft top. After that initial install, can you leave any of the parts on and drop the hardtop back on, or do you have to remove/install every time? How long is that process?

2) What is the primary difference in the Soft top options offered on MOPAR website? I see a number of options:
1 - I took my hard top off immediately upon getting my jeep home from the dealership. The whole process to swap over to the soft top was about 2 hours. Keep in mind, this is the first time I have ever done it, so there was some extra time to figure out what I was doing. There are a couple of brackets that attach to the roll bar that can remain when you put the hard top back on, but everything else has to go. While you have to remove nearly all of the pieces of the soft top, you don't have to take all of it apart, so the second time you install the top should be a lot less work. I expect next time I put the soft top on will take less than an hour.

2 - If you get the dual top group, you get the premium soft top. The advantages to it are that it's thicker material and is supposed to be more durable, quieter, last longer, and reportedly cleans up easier than the standard soft top.

OP
OP
gonavy34

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 - I took my hard top off immediately upon getting my jeep home from the dealership. The whole process to swap over to the soft top was about 2 hours. Keep in mind, this is the first time I have ever done it, so there was some extra time to figure out what I was doing. There are a couple of brackets that attach to the roll bar that can remain when you put the hard top back on, but everything else has to go. While you have to remove nearly all of the pieces of the soft top, you don't have to take all of it apart, so the second time you install the top should be a lot less work. I expect next time I put the soft top on will take less than an hour.

2 - If you get the dual top group, you get the premium soft top. The advantages to it are that it's thicker material and is supposed to be more durable, quieter, last longer, and reportedly cleans up easier than the standard soft top.
Thanks - figure I'd go with premium if I'm going to lay out the cash. Ino on the brackets is what I've been looking for.

Have a friend that owns a JK and claims it takes about 15 minutes to put it back on...so perhaps JL is a little more complicated.

I think I'd rather have tinted windows...but just held back a bit since description on MOPAR doesn't say it includes all hardware...

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Thanks - figure I'd go with premium if I'm going to lay out the cash. Ino on the brackets is what I've been looking for.

Have a friend that owns a JK and claims it takes about 15 minutes to put it back on...so perhaps JL is a little more complicated.

I think I'd rather have tinted windows...but just held back a bit since description on MOPAR doesn't say it includes all hardware...
Don't forget to check the Exterior Parts of the Member Marketplace. You may find the same top for cheaper from a forum member.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/exterior-parts.51/

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I saw this video posted in another thread. Its prefect for a brand new soft top and someone new to the jlu soft top.

Like said above, the second time won't take as long because some of the parts won't have to be assembled again. Also you will already know how to put it on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gonavy34

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I opted for a used standard soft top vs getting a new premium to save some money because the hard top will go back on for winter and the jeep is garage kept. So far I have no complaints with the standard but I haven't had it that long

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
In early July, I had to remove my premium soft top and put my hardtop back on in order to rent a UHaul trailer. It’s a total of 18 bolts that need to be removed to get the Jeep ready for the hardtop, then 8 bolts to secure the hardtop.

Switching from soft top to hard top took me about 25 minutes (by myself). Switching back to soft top after returning the trailer took me about 30 minutes (by myself as the soft top is a little cumbersome to reattach by yourself).

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
In early July, I had to remove my premium soft top and put my hardtop back on in order to rent a UHaul trailer. It’s a total of 18 bolts that need to be removed to get the Jeep ready for the hardtop, then 8 bolts to secure the hardtop.

Switching from soft top to hard top took me about 25 minutes (by myself). Switching back to soft top after returning the trailer took me about 30 minutes (by myself as the soft top is a little cumbersome to reattach by yourself).
+1, I'd say about the same. I've never timed myself, but going from one to the other is about 30 minutes. I've never had anyone help me, but I have a TopLift Pro for the hard top and I've done it a number of times so I kind of have a routine way of doing it.

@gonavy34 asked about leaving hardware on - only thing you can leave on are the brackets on the roll bar. Door surrounds and tailgate bar retainers have to come off, but that's only 10 screws total.

OP
OP
gonavy34

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
+1, I'd say about the same. I've never timed myself, but going from one to the other is about 30 minutes. I've never had anyone help me, but I have a TopLift Pro for the hard top and I've done it a number of times so I kind of have a routine way of doing it.

@gonavy34 asked about leaving hardware on - only thing you can leave on are the brackets on the roll bar. Door surrounds and tailgate bar retainers have to come off, but that's only 10 screws total.
Perfect - thanks for the info. I have a lift in the house that makes the hardtop a breeze to take on and off...sounds like it isn't too much extra effort to go to the soft top. Now I just have to pull the trigger. Like the one being sold in the forums, but can't get it cross country...will keep looking. Thanks all

Sponsored

w1ndshear

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Going from the hardtop to a Bestop softtop fastback tonight. Will keep you guys updated on process.

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Perfect - thanks for the info. I have a lift in the house that makes the hardtop a breeze to take on and off...sounds like it isn't too much extra effort to go to the soft top. Now I just have to pull the trigger. Like the one being sold in the forums, but can't get it cross country...will keep looking. Thanks all
Look into Greyhound shipping. I bought an unopened premium top and had it shipped from Baltimore to Milwaukee for $108!

jlc64uk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2021 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Assistant Principal
Vehicle Showcase
Look into Greyhound shipping. I bought an unopened premium top and had it shipped from Baltimore to Milwaukee for $108!
Did the exact same thing and bought from a member here on the forums. Shipped by Greyhound from Baltimore to Louisville and made it here it two days. Premium is definitely the way to go. Also agree with the other comments regarding the install and removal as well.
Sponsored