msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned above, we will not be tying the body and frame together as they move independently of each other and this would potentially cause damage to your Jeep and the roof rack over time.
This youtube video about rack noise after off-roading supports your statement.
Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned above, we will not be tying the body and frame together as they move independently of each other and this would potentially cause damage to your Jeep and the roof rack over time.
Idea: Since the body of the Jeep is stable despite allowing movement independent of the frame, wouldn't it be possible to support the rear of the rack while attached to the frame in a similar way?
"The body mounts to the frame with bolts, washers, and body mounts (also known as a doughnut, puck. etc). Original factory mounts are usually made out of rubber, and maybe 1 inch thick. These cushion the body on the frame, and allow some flex between the two. They can also absorb some vibration that comes up through the suspension and frame, and into the body."https://www.morris4x4center.com/blog/jeep-unibody-and-ladder-frames-whats-the-difference/

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey all, sorry for the delay, it is the weekend ya know:rock:. You're absolutely right, the purpose of the sliding rack is to allow full use of the soft top! And yes we intend to provide a two door version some time after the 4 door JL version is released. Keep posting your questions, needs and wants! We'll get to all the other questions on Monday. Have a great weekend!

the mounting point is interesting. Have you considered making the sliding feature an option? I (hard top only) would prefer less pieces/weight/complexity. Perhaps with an opening so I can sneak the freedom panels out?

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
the mounting point is interesting. Have you considered making the sliding feature an option? I (hard top only) would prefer less pieces/weight/complexity. Perhaps with an opening so I can sneak the freedom panels out?
That's a great idea, we actually considered that as an option! We'll see how things turn out when we get farther along.

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's a great idea, we actually considered that as an option! We'll see how things turn out when we get farther along.
Thanks so much for the reply. Hopefully you’ll be able to offer options. The non soft top people would prolly like it to fit closer to the roof as well. All the external frame racks ive seen have an extra few inches in them to accomodate the soft top bow. I cant help but imagine those racks sitting closer to the roof.

Sponsored

DAVESJEEP

First Name
Dave!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTUR (Ordered), 2018 Porsche GT3
Hey guys, any update on a release date?

mpogca

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red JLU RUBICON
Will you be able to remove your hard top with out removing the LOD rack? Sorry if this question was previously asked but could not find anything regarding this issue. Thanks.

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Will you be able to remove your hard top with out removing the LOD rack? Sorry if this question was previously asked but could not find anything regarding this issue. Thanks.
Yes you will. Actually I hope to be posting some pictures soon of our JK Prototype!

Sponsored

InfraPulse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I just placed an order for a gobi rack the other day, but now that I'm seeing this one, I think I'm going to cancel and hold off until some more info is released.

@lodoffroad I have a few questions.

Regarding the weight limits, what is the planned maximum static capacity (not extended)? I saw that the last generation was 600lbs. Any chance this could be increased to 800lbs?

When the JL version is released, will you have 16 week wait times like gobi, or will you have stock on hand? If there is an unfortunate lead time, is it possible to pre-order a rack once things have been worked out?

Related to release dates, will it take very long after the JK version is released to produce the JL model? How are things looking as far as spring and summer timelines?

I'm very interested in this setup. Thanks for coming up with this!

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I see a couple of posts asking about off-road light mounting. Any word on that? I've been considering a DV8 mount over the windshield but if I'm holding out for this rack, it would be nice if I could kill two birds with one stone. Plus, I'd no longer need the DV8 mount

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
I just placed an order for a gobi rack the other day, but now that I'm seeing this one, I think I'm going to cancel and hold off until some more info is released.

@lodoffroad I have a few questions.

Regarding the weight limits, what is the planned maximum static capacity (not extended)? I saw that the last generation was 600lbs. Any chance this could be increased to 800lbs?

When the JL version is released, will you have 16 week wait times like gobi, or will you have stock on hand? If there is an unfortunate lead time, is it possible to pre-order a rack once things have been worked out?

Related to release dates, will it take very long after the JK version is released to produce the JL model? How are things looking as far as spring and summer timelines?

I'm very interested in this setup. Thanks for coming up with this!
We have not yet come up with final weights...static closed, open or dynamic. We hope to be testing a lot here in the next couple weeks. I can say for sure that it will be at least 600lbs evenly distributed in the static closed position. May I ask, in what scenario would you need 800 lbs static?

Hopefully not 16 weeks lead time! We intend to pre-build so hopefully just a few weeks at most... But demand certainly can play a role here.

We are working on the JL version in parallel with the JK, so design wont take much longer. Creating all new instruction sets, media, jigs and fixtures, and packaging, and of course manufacturing... This takes time!

We are still on track for JK = Spring and JL = Summer. :fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
I see a couple of posts asking about off-road light mounting. Any word on that? I've been considering a DV8 mount over the windshield but if I'm holding out for this rack, it would be nice if I could kill two birds with one stone. Plus, I'd no longer need the DV8 mount
Oh yes, there will be provisions for mounting lights. Both the front and rear main beams have mounting hole locations for up to 50" light bar. There are also mounting locations at the windshield cowl. However we have not yet designed actual light mounts yet.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Greetings fellow Jeepers,

LoD Offroad here, and we would like to share with you a concept render of the new patent pending sliding roof rack we will be releasing in early 2019! Questions and comments are always welcome! Stay tuned for more release info and photos!

The rack will be bearing operated for super smooth operation, and will be able to move with gear on top for ultra convenience. A removable ladder will be an add-on option, as well as a wind deflector for the front. The construction will feature durable latches, and a reversable mechanism.

xgBIB2.jpg
Looks heavy.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.