JL Sliding Roof Rack

1. Nixx

Nixx Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Hopefully a 2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    My garage is barely tall enough to fit the JL I'm in the process of ordering, so any rack will have to come on/off easily. This also make any destructive installation much less appealing depending on where and visibility of the holes when not installed. Looks like a great system though and I'll be watching to see if the final product could fit my needs.

2. msujedi

msujedi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jed
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I imagine having the top down with the tubular rack would be a similar feel to having tube doors. More open than full doors, but with more functionality than no doors. I could see myself running my JL topless & doorless in the summer with this rack to haul kayaks and such.

3. msujedi

msujedi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jed
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I envision oversized drawer slides...the kind overlanding trailers use for their slide out kitchens and such. A small set I used on some large drawers in my house have a 100lb capacity and slide all the way out (back edge of drawer is even with front edge of cabinet).

4. digitalbliss

digitalbliss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    Guys, they already do with with their Jk version just to the rear instead of the side. That one is cantilevered even more than the JL version will be.
    https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...017-jeep-jk-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-405.html

RussJeep1 likes this.
  5. mat071975

mat071975 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    Thanks. It's a stock Sahara, no lift, stock tires, etc. Hopefully it will be design so that I can still use the garage after installing it.

6. digitalbliss

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    Also will depend on garage door height. Mine is 7'

7. mat071975

mat071975 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    Yup. That's exactly how tall mine is too.

8. spurly

spurly Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bright White JLUR
    Liked:
    +1 For support legs. Would make a great awning and dry/shade area. Could sell aluminum panels to install on top of the cross bars and legs as an awning package. If it's designed with support legs that can support a RTT AND the weight of 2 people plus gear on top while it's deployed, that would be awesome. But I can also see how big of an engineering challenge that would be.

digitalbliss likes this.
  9. digitalbliss

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    I think what we have here, is an incomplete perspective. The JK rack, when fully extended, will be cantilevered out further than the JL version due to the fact that the rack is longer than it is wide and the way it slides vs the JL version. Irregardless of how much you need to slide it for your intended purpose (soft top in your example) the rack has to be rated at it max capacity with the weakest link taken into consideration (fully extended).

So, with all things being equal, logic would dictate that when fully extended, the JL design would, at a minimum, meet the same load ratings as the JK design and would most likely exceed it by a fair margin due to the shorter cantilevered distance (by several feet) and the wider supporting base (also by several feet).

thundermuffin and RussJeep1 like this.
  10. digitalbliss

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    While we're at it, we might as well make some sort of extra accessories to go with it. A bug/screen room add on for camping? A hanging solar shower with shower curtain for camping/overlanding? Lots of possibilities!

rkammer likes this.
  11. Akbill

Akbill Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 JLUR
    Liked:
    That is an interesting point you bring up; there are more than few exoskeleton racks that attache to the front windshield/pillar area but also to the rear bumper bracket area for support in back. So you are saying those designs are bad designs that leave the vehicle dynamics potentially compromised and put extra stress on the exoskeleton framework?

msujedi likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    lodoffroad

lodoffroad Well-Known Member
    Rock Sponsor (Level 1)

Vehicle(s):
    2018 White JLU
    Liked:
    As mentioned above, we will not be tying the body and frame together as they move independently of each other and this would potentially cause damage to your Jeep and the roof rack over time.