Sponsored

JL SHAKE/VIBRATION WHEN IN NEUTRAL (MANUAL)

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
Hey everyone, just picked up my manual '22 Rubicon. V6. Rides great, but I've noticed that ONLY when I'm stopped, and in neutral, the jeep is vibrating. I feel it in the steering wheel, seat, dash etc. Sometimes I don't feel any vibrations. Most of the time I feel like I do.
Idle doesnt change, it doesnt jump around.
Any idea? I have only 400 miles on it. PLEASE don't say "it's a jeep thing" because my previous JL didn't do this.
I'm also using 87 fuel, as recommended in owner manual.

I've searched online, thinking maybe it's still breaking in? Perhaps one of the several mounts (trans/engine), harmonic balancer, sparks plugs? No clue, it's like WebMD searching where one thing makes you discover you have cancer lol.

Have any of you experienced this? Please help
Sponsored

Last edited:

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,
Hey everyone, just picked up my manual '22 Rubicon. Rides great, but I've noticed that ONLY when I'm stopped, and in neutral, the jeep is vibrating. I feel it in the steering wheel, seat, dash etc. Sometimes I don't feel any vibrations. Most of the time I feel like I do.
Any idea? I have only 400 miles on it. PLEASE don't say "it's a jeep thing" because my previous JL didn't do this.
I'm also using 87 fuel, as recommended in owner manual.

I've searched online, thinking maybe it's still breaking in? Perhaps one of the several mounts (trans/engine), harmonic balancer, sparks plugs? No clue, it's like WebMD searching where one thing makes you discover you have cancer lol.

Have any of you experienced this? Please help
There you are! I thought we lost you! Congrats again!
I'm not a Jeep motor expert, but have a lot of Ford v-6 experience. What motor do you have?
When my Taurus was new, it vibrated/shook at idle. Not bad enough for a return to the dealer, but noticeable, especially when it was cold outside, and the engine was cold. I drove mostly highway back then so I ignored it. At 17,000 miles, I put an aftermarket tune on it which included plugs, air filter, and a vacuum port that allowed higher boost. The tune altered fuel and timing advance throughout the range, and the car went from 13.7 to 12.9 in the quarter mile. Oh, and one more gem. The cold engine /cold weather shake was gone and never returned to this day. Currently 92,000 miles and still getting over 22 mpg. Hopefully, a few Jeepers will weigh-in on this one also.
SHOJEEP

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just some ideas to help troubleshooting.

In neutral, does it matter if clutch is engaged or disengaged?
No vibration in gear with clutch disengaged?

OP
OP
2019RubiconNY

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just some ideas to help troubleshooting.

In neutral, does it matter if clutch is engaged or disengaged?
No vibration in gear with clutch disengaged?
when clutch is not pressed down I'm experiencing this.
I honestly can't recall if I still experience it when clutch is engaged but I will try later today when I leave work. What would it be if vibrating stops when I do that? Or what could it be if it still vibrates?

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019RubiconNY

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There you are! I thought we lost you! Congrats again!
I'm not a Jeep motor expert, but have a lot of Ford v-6 experience. What motor do you have?
When my Taurus was new, it vibrated/shook at idle. Not bad enough for a return to the dealer, but noticeable, especially when it was cold outside, and the engine was cold. I drove mostly highway back then so I ignored it. At 17,000 miles, I put an aftermarket tune on it which included plugs, air filter, and a vacuum port that allowed higher boost. The tune altered fuel and timing advance throughout the range, and the car went from 13.7 to 12.9 in the quarter mile. Oh, and one more gem. The cold engine /cold weather shake was gone and never returned to this day. Currently 92,000 miles and still getting over 22 mpg. Hopefully, a few Jeepers will weigh-in on this one also.
SHOJEEP
I have the v6

OP
OP
2019RubiconNY

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's weird man, I had my girl in the car with me and she felt it on the passenger side as well. Already spoke to dealer, heading up next Wednesday for drop off. BUT I'd like help from you guys on here because 90% of the time you all have better answers and solutions than they do! And your input can be used to pass along the info to them for hopefully a smooth solution.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I could help. Same drive train. No unusual vibration in mine at all.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
when clutch is not pressed down I'm experiencing this.
I honestly can't recall if I still experience it when clutch is engaged but I will try later today when I leave work. What would it be if vibrating stops when I do that? Or what could it be if it still vibrates?
More of a question to eliminate the clutch and transmission assembly from the equation. When you push the clutch pedal in, it pulls the disk off of the flywheel and removes the input shaft side of the transmission.

If there is no change, then it's likely that it's engine harmonics. Barring misfiring (which I doubt would be happening with no load but not happening under load), it would be more likely to be mounts or dampening.

As you mention, I believe the 3.6 is setup for 87, so I don't think it's knock related (my Ram 5.7 runs rough on 87, but it specifically identifies that it runs better on 89 in the manual). I guess there is a chance that the ECU is still "learning" and hasn't locked in it's timing adjustments.

Side note, don't you have ESS or Etorque that should be stopping the engine at idle stop?

OP
OP
2019RubiconNY

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More of a question to eliminate the clutch and transmission assembly from the equation. When you push the clutch pedal in, it pulls the disk off of the flywheel and removes the input shaft side of the transmission.

If there is no change, then it's likely that it's engine harmonics. Barring misfiring (which I doubt would be happening with no load but not happening under load), it would be more likely to be mounts or dampening.

As you mention, I believe the 3.6 is setup for 87, so I don't think it's knock related (my Ram 5.7 runs rough on 87, but it specifically identifies that it runs better on 89 in the manual). I guess there is a chance that the ECU is still "learning" and hasn't locked in it's timing adjustments.

Side note, don't you have ESS or Etorque that should be stopping the engine at idle stop?
I turn off that ESS stuff because it annoys me having a manual shutting off and on at traffic lights.
These are good points, I'll be sure to bring this up to the dealer. Last thing I want to hear is "cant replicate the issue"

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Take note of what the conditions are when it vibrates and when it doesn't. Warmed up or cold, water temp, oil temp.

To me, this sounds like maybe an EGR Valve or PCV valve issue or a sensor (EGR, O2,) issue. The other suspect could be an injector, but that might show at higher rpm as well.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I turn off that ESS stuff because it annoys me having a manual shutting off and on at traffic lights.
These are good points, I'll be sure to bring this up to the dealer. Last thing I want to hear is "cant replicate the issue"
Is your tach moving at all when this is happening (is your idle RPM fluctuating)?

OP
OP
2019RubiconNY

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take note of what the conditions are when it vibrates and when it doesn't. Warmed up or cold, water temp, oil temp.

To me, this sounds like maybe an EGR Valve or PCV valve issue or a sensor (EGR, O2,) issue. The other suspect could be an injector, but that might show at higher rpm as well.
Definitely happens when the jeep is warm. I'll check temps later today when it happens once I get out from work.

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
Mine does it. Its not a high frequency vibration. more of a lub lub lub. I think due to EPA standards manufacturers have the idle tuned way down. Every vehicle I have owned had a slight vibration at idle. Used to be idles were at more like 750 RPM. Now it seems they are lower than that. Closer to 600 or 650. Doesn't seem like much, but just a little gas at idle and I bet the vibration goes away.
Sponsored