CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Count me in, but just know, updates are not included, which may not even be an issue.
I'd like to know exactly what info they're releasing.Hopefully all specs and such,....I'm curious to know.
Service manuals are an essential tool if you ask me.
But really, who's asking?
:)
Guy's,

I know saving money is a good thing, but you are talking about stealing someone's product (digital or not). Consider your job, or anything you own in the digital world and now consider how you would like someone to take it from you for free...

Bit of respect for the publisher should be warranted... if your that pressed and need the guide then it is what it is.

Parade Rainer - CaptStarboard
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Guy's,

I know saving money is a good thing, but you are talking about stealing someone's product (digital or not). Consider your job, or anything you own in the digital world and now consider how you would like someone to take it from you for free...

Bit of respect for the publisher should be warranted... if your that pressed and need the guide then it is what it is.

Parade Rainer - CaptStarboard
I would agree with you except in this case the cost is just stupid. If they’d sell a printed copy for a couple hundred bucks I’d have no issue paying it but their subscription service is just ridiculous.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
So I just checked TechAuthority and the 2018 Service Manual is out of stock. I saw previous posts claiming this awhile back as well, so I’m assuming they’ve stopped supplying them. Anyone know where a printed service manual is? I’d go for Haynes, but they don’t have one for the 2018.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So I just checked TechAuthority and the 2018 Service Manual is out of stock. I saw previous posts claiming this awhile back as well, so I’m assuming they’ve stopped supplying them. Anyone know where a printed service manual is? I’d go for Haynes, but they don’t have one for the 2018.
Try these guys. They are more expensive than directly from Tech Authority, but they are Tech Authority (OEM) manuals. https://diyrepairmanuals.com/product-category/automotive/jeep/wrangler/2018-wrangler/

The USB card type is what I have. I bought directly from Tech Authority over a year ago and I've used it many times. I've been satisfied with the format and content. Definitely worth even the inflated price.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Great! Thanks!

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was a bit lucky. I bought my service manual (usb card) soon after buying my 18 JLUR. It was relatively cheap at something like $150.

My USB Tech Authority manual requires that the card be inserted into the computer to "unlock" the access to data. I recently asked a computer savy neighbor to look at accessing after copying to a hard drive or flash drive. He was unable to do it.

I've been looking at the Tech Authority site and don't see any 2020 or 2021 service manuals available. It's really a shitty thing that FCA is not making manuals available. It's a anti-competitive maneuver to prevent independent repair shops from having access to the same information dealers get. Over the years it's been a debated bill in Congress to make law that vehicle service information is made available to the public. It has not been made a federal law at this time. But Massachusetts did pass a similar state law in 2012. Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair Act - Wikipedia

I can tell you, coming from the commercial aviation business, that federal law requires that complete service information must be "made available" to all who desire it (and pay for it), for commercial aircraft....for as long as the airplane Type Certificate is valid. So, say an old 707 from the 60s has to have manuals available for purchase as long as the company is in business and the Type Certificate is valid. Same for a DC-3 from the 1930s.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
On this forum someone has posted a lot of the electrical diagrams. Does the tech authority electrical have more details than what is already posted here?

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I've used CD's and USB's from TechAuthority - they were mostly useless. The wiring, especially - conveniently missing things like connector pinouts and component location. Many "go to dealer" images inserted in place of key diagrams. Haven't seen what the present day Jeep USB's contain, but I doubt it's awesome.

I have to run these old CD's (from 2008-2010 - so not even that old) on a virtual machine with Windows XP and a bunch of outdated Adobe and Java crap that will absolutely not run on a modern up-to-date computer.

I've used Alldatadiy and eautorepair (mitchel1) far more often. Cheaper than TechAuthority and easier to use. Problem is - 2018-2019 is the newest they offer these days - likely maintaining a lack of information to DIY customers to protect their pro-level subscribers.

So - TechAuthority - looks like $36 or so for 3 days. Given the total of what I've paid for useless information and the cost of a major repair in general - I'm not whining.

The most useful repair resource - by far - is real world experiences from owners and their YouTube videos. If you worked as a mechanic in a dealership - "tribal knowledge" is how repairs actually get done there too.

correfe

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
Does anyone know where to buy 2021 service repair manual? Like the one dealership uses.
Take a look at this website. I saw a video of Scotty Kilmer using it for another vehicle, and the Wrangler JL is available. I purchased a license for a year to try out and so far this thing is very informative.

https://www.alldata.com/diy-us/en

Sponsored

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Take a look at this website. I saw a video of Scotty Kilmer using it for another vehicle, and the Wrangler JL is available. I purchased a license for a year to try out and so far this thing is very informative.

https://www.alldata.com/diy-us/en
Thank you for sharing! Looks like 2021 Wrangler JL is not available yet. 2020 is the latest year so far.

correfe

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
Thank you for sharing! Looks like 2021 Wrangler JL is not available yet. 2020 is the latest year so far.
probably not much difference.

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

probably not much difference.
You are right. Most of the stuff should be the same. However, there are some differences. I remember I ran into one of them when going over the electrical wiring diagrams. Don't remember what was exactly different, but I recall the dealer had to pull the 2021 version to match what's in my rig. Just a heads-up.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Ugh. Call me old fashioned, but at least give me concurrent access to a printed service manual resource. It's no bother if the data is static. This ongoing transition to a subscription/limited access model reeks of revenue Ăśber alles.
Sponsored