JL seems to run really hot

First Name
MArk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL unlimited 2005 Toyota Tacoma
2019 Wrangler JL unlimited this is my first Jeep
Ok the JL seems to run really hot I mean putting your hand on the hood after a few miles it is really uncomfortable. The gauge says over 200 degrees. I have 8700 miles on this JL. The JL has always seemed to warmup in less than a 1/2 mile which seems awfully quick. Does the JL community have the same results? Dealer says everything is ok just wanted to see if this really is normal. Not sure if there is a solution to move more air into the engine compartment or not. I was wondering if anyone had tried to open the wheel wells would help? This amount of heat doesn't seem right for a new vehicle.
thanks
Mark
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My new
2019 Wrangler JL unlimited this is my first Jeep
Ok the JL seems to run really hot I mean putting your hand on the hood after a few miles it is really uncomfortable. The gauge says over 200 degrees. I have 8700 miles on this JL. The JL has always seemed to warmup in less than a 1/2 mile which seems awfully quick. Does the JL community have the same results? Dealer says everything is ok just wanted to see if this really is normal. Not sure if there is a solution to move more air into the engine compartment or not. I was wondering if anyone had tried to open the wheel wells would help? This amount of heat doesn't seem right for a new vehicle.
thanks
Mark
My 2020 JLUR (3.6l) was running around 200 ° F when the outside temp was around 70 ° F.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
All my cars w/ Aluminum motors seem much hotter in the engine bay than those that I've had w/ cast iron blocks. And all coolant temps were in the proper operating range.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Ive been 4 wheeling all through and around Death Valley for the whole summer with the A/C blasting, youve got nothing to worry about. Your thermostat doesn't even open until 200 degrees. The hood gets hot because it is thin aluminum.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
200 is well within the normal range. 230 is probably as high as you should see, but should be fine, especially if only doing it under load. The highest I've seen is 224, but 230 wouldn't shock me. The cooling system has high capacity, though, and can manage it. There is an oil cooler involved, too, and it is very effective with 0w20 oil.

OP
OP
First Name
MArk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL unlimited 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Ok thanks for the input I don't really trust the dealers seems like they really don't know the new wranglers and what to expect is normal.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Better idea; get a rubi hood, then remove the heat blanket or whatever it is, then take out the vents and trim the bottom out, thus making them functional
I'm surprised an aftermarket company hasn't come up with replacement vents for the stock Rubi hood. That one seems like a no-brainer.