JL Sahara towing? 3.45 gear ratio

Butapower

First Name
Mork
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler sahara 2021
Hello, I am not sure if this is posted. I have a 2021 JLU sahara on its way, planning to tow a 2500-2800 lbs aluminum bass boat with trailer. My spec have a 3.6l etorque engine. I have seen a lot of JLU RUBICON posts that towing is great. But thats with a 4.1 gear ratio. I have not seen posts about sahara towing with its 3.45 gear ratio. Im wondering if i need to re-gear it? How does it feel like towing that load. Main concern is driving it in the interstate.

do the gear ratio only has a small impact On towing or a huge impact?

I am a newb first time owning a jeep wrangler im very excited about it. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Do you have the heavy duty tow package?

My previous Jeep, a JKU Sahara, had 3.73 gears, and 4 speed automatic transmission. I towed a travel trailer from the east coast to the west, through mountains and deserts with no problems. However, the transmission did do a bit of gear hunting. Now with the Rubicon JLU I find that it is tows at lower rpm, which is mainly because of the 8 speed automatic, but I do notice pulling away from a stop light, for instance, to be better with the 4.10 gears.

In other words, you should be fine.

OP
OP

Butapower

First Name
Mork
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler sahara 2021
I have the towing package, I dont know that they offer a heavy duty one? its with a class 2 hitch, I am not sure if they change the gears with it. Most likely not.

Thank you for the reply, I feel much more confident in the upcoming months of towing.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have the towing package, I dont know that they offer a heavy duty one? its with a class 2 hitch, I am not sure if they change the gears with it. Most likely not.

Thank you for the reply, I feel much more confident in the upcoming months of towing.
You are correct there is no heavy duty tow package on JL., gear ratio is unchanged

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hello, I am not sure if this is posted. I have a 2021 JLU sahara on its way, planning to tow a 2500-2800 lbs aluminum bass boat with trailer. My spec have a 3.6l etorque engine. I have seen a lot of JLU RUBICON posts that towing is great. But thats with a 4.1 gear ratio. I have not seen posts about sahara towing with its 3.45 gear ratio. Im wondering if i need to re-gear it? How does it feel like towing that load. Main concern is driving it in the interstate.

do the gear ratio only has a small impact On towing or a huge impact?

I am a newb first time owning a jeep wrangler im very excited about it. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
I tow approx 2500lbs often with no problems, my trailer has electric brakes which helps a lot with sudden stops.
Sponsored