JL Rugged Ridge Eclipse Sunshade Design Issue- 13579.71

KCJLSahara

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
Newbie here, bought a 2018 4 Door JLU Sahara and of course I have been purchasing parts like crazy. In my haste I purchased the Rugged Ridge Eclipse sunshade http://www.ruggedridge.com/eclipse-...8-wrangler-unlimited-jlu-4-door-13579-71.html. It turned out to be a mistake of my own doing.

Don't get me wrong, construction is excellent and it installed easily, but their design is a bit off. You are supposed to be able to install the hard top over the sunshade, however, they left out one minor detail. The back shell goes on fine, but there is no way to clip the back of the freedom tops. They have holes where you can clip the front of the freedom tops, but did not think to design the product with holes for the back clips of the freedom top.

After looking at Alien, for twice the price, I realized I made a mistake. Their design actually had accessibility to the back clips. It's on me, but I am surprised they would put front clip holes and completely disregard the back clips for the freedom tops. I assume it was designed for soft tops, but why leave it out.
Sponsored

Valv910

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Time to sell it and get another.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
How does that install to the front? any pics of it installed? There isn’t really any good photos of it on Rugged ridges site. I have a soft top so no worries about freedom panels

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Newbie here, bought a 2018 4 Door JLU Sahara and of course I have been purchasing parts like crazy. In my haste I purchased the Rugged Ridge Eclipse sunshade http://www.ruggedridge.com/eclipse-...8-wrangler-unlimited-jlu-4-door-13579-71.html. It turned out to be a mistake of my own doing.

Don't get me wrong, construction is excellent and it installed easily, but their design is a bit off. You are supposed to be able to install the hard top over the sunshade, however, they left out one minor detail. The back shell goes on fine, but there is no way to clip the back of the freedom tops. They have holes where you can clip the front of the freedom tops, but did not think to design the product with holes for the back clips of the freedom top.

After looking at Alien, for twice the price, I realized I made a mistake. Their design actually had accessibility to the back clips. It's on me, but I am surprised they would put front clip holes and completely disregard the back clips for the freedom tops. I assume it was designed for soft tops, but why leave it out.
Are you planning to return it or sell? I have a softtop and interested in it.

Sponsored

Tfinley

First Name
Trace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just detach the Velcro on the header and the front seat straps, flip the front section over the rear passenger sections then instal your hard top. When you remove the hard top, just roll it back over the front and reattach. That is what I do and works fine.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just detach the Velcro on the header and the front seat straps, flip the front section over the rear passenger sections then instal your hard top. When you remove the hard top, just roll it back over the front and reattach. That is what I do and works fine.
I like that idea. Thank you

OP
OP
KCJLSahara

KCJLSahara

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
I did roll it back, and it seemed to sag quite a bit. How did you over come that issue?

OP
OP
KCJLSahara

KCJLSahara

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
Are you planning to return it or sell? I have a softtop and interested in it.
Sorry for the late reply, haven't decided yet. I am trying to live with it, but we shall see in a week or two. I will definitely keep you in mind.

Sorry for the late reply!

OP
OP
KCJLSahara

KCJLSahara

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
How does that install to the front? any pics of it installed? There isn’t really any good photos of it on Rugged ridges site. I have a soft top so no worries about freedom panels
I will send some pics when I put it back on, sorry for the late reply.

Sponsored

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
Good info! Thanks for sharing. I just received this version 13579.73 which hopefully addresses successfully the issue you had. I’ll post pics up once I get it installed (Hopefully today!)

This one however only covers the front seats, but with little kiddos always covered by the rear hard top, this is all we needed for now.

56235_F92_28_C8_4965_B049_F75_B4_AAC0977.jpg

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up returning the one that didn't have holes for the latches for the one you pictured above. I used the new one for a couple days but I removed it. It hits my head when the vehicle is sitting still which drives me crazy. No matter how I adjusted it or how much I tightened it I still had the problem.

I ended up removing it and won't be able to use it unfortunately.

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2013 C63 AMG
Occupation
Technology
I ended up returning the one that didn't have holes for the latches for the one you pictured above. I used the new one for a couple days but I removed it. It hits my head when the vehicle is sitting still which drives me crazy. No matter how I adjusted it or how much I tightened it I still had the problem.

I ended up removing it and won't be able to use it unfortunately.
Sorry revive an old thread but I am curious if you ended up living with it or returning it.

I want a one piece sun shade without bungees so I am looking at this same top. Was thinking about using a soldering iron to “cut” some access slots in the back to allow me to manipulate the latch for the freedom tops. Not sure if this would work well or not.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry revive an old thread but I am curious if you ended up living with it or returning it.

I want a one piece sun shade without bungees so I am looking at this same top. Was thinking about using a soldering iron to “cut” some access slots in the back to allow me to manipulate the latch for the freedom tops. Not sure if this would work well or not.
I still have it. I did not continue to use it. Just didn't bother returning it. Waste of money for me it seems. Ugh

OP
OP
KCJLSahara

KCJLSahara

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
I just bit the bullet and bought the JTOP. The shade takes alot of abuse from the sun and elements, so I decided to pony up.

20181027_143242.jpg

20181027_143313.jpg
Sponsored