Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the latest video from wheeling the JL in VERY muddy conditions last weekend. The first minute sets the tone pretty well.

The more I wheel this JL, the more I like it in most regards, but the weight of the JLUR (not helped by everything I have added to it) almost necessitates wider tires than 12.5 inches. In theory the narrower tire will dig better, but overall I think 13.5” width is the way to go. I come to a few more conclusions about the JL every time I take it off road (most of them positive), and can’t help to compare it with my experience with my three JK’s. Interested to hear opinions!
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Here is the latest video from wheeling the JL in VERY muddy conditions last weekend. The first minute sets the tone pretty well.
Thanks for sharing, put Kansas Rocks on my bookmarks! Just wish it were closer!

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing, put Kansas Rocks on my bookmarks! Just wish it were closer!
You bet! They have done a nice job with the place, and it’s definitely not very well known outside the area. It’s technical in a different way when things get muddy like that.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You bet! They have done a nice job with the place, and it’s definitely not very well known outside the area. It’s technical in a different way when things get muddy like that.
Only been to Midnight Offroad near Meramec St Park...I need to explore more but the trails from your videos look like they are wider which would be nice.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Only been to Midnight Offroad near Meramec St Park...I need to explore more but the trails from your videos look like they are wider which would be nice.
I haven’t heard of Midnight Offroad. I’ll have to check them out. It is nice to be able to choose a line instead of having one way to go, but new places are fun too. KS Rocks has Kansas Crawl next weekend; should be a good time if it dries out a bit (or not)!

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@American Jeeper
https://www.facebook.com/moonlightracing1/

I only spent a couple hours there, with wife and son. We were alone too so I didn't really mess around much, just tour a couple trails. It is a few minutes from the state park, so you could camp there or I think at Moonlight if you are a camper. Meramec is a nice little park there.

No affiliation, just sharing! I need to try St. Joe St Park which is also about an hour from me.

Post up if you find other places in our region, I'm always tagging options.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just in case anyone is interested in the park itself:

http://www.ksrockspark.com/

I have no affiliation, it’s just a nice place to wheel if you are ever in the area.

Kaspof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK. JL on the waiting list
In my opinion, you struggle a lot in this video because your tire pressure is really too high. In mud you need to lower it a lot so that tire deformation will expel the mud and will get you traction.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion, you struggle a lot in this video because your tire pressure is really too high. In mud you need to lower it a lot so that tire deformation will expel the mud and will get you traction.
Thanks for checking it out! Other opinions vary, but running 12-13 PSI is really as low as I want to run without beadlocks, and what I am running in the video. The Destination M/T2 sidewalls are pretty firm and especially on these narrow stock rims the tires don’t depress as much. There is a balance here as the last thing I want is to pop a bead in those conditions.

The consistency of that particular mud is thin and sticky and not chunky as you might expect in some areas. Think greasy cake batter. It will clear and then tires soak it right up again. The whole park was wet, and with the volume of rigs out there that day (and people like me who drive into holes) mud was even getting spread all over the rocks.

You can see in the ramp pic I have some deformation. More would be nice, but no beadlocks yet!

2F6EBD46-32CA-483E-90A5-68C9424ADCD1.jpeg

91F342DE-367A-46A3-BE4C-1F8BC19D5924.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I've ever run less than 17 or so on any of my stock wheels.
I have never run stock wheels before in four Wranglers. These rims are technically a half inch too narrow for the tire, which helps to hold the bead better, but when aired down can cause the sidewalls to get stressed and weaken over time. I am keeping an eye on things, and so far so good.

Every once in a while I run into someone without beadlocks airing down to 10 psi or so, but I find around 12-13 to be pretty effective. I have never popped a bead but have split a KM2 sidewall on a trail at that pressure. In defense of the tire, it was some pretty rough granite, so that may have been it.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I don't run mud out here, and avoid most of the tough stuff....

But I've never run anything besides stock or steelies, so my knowledge is limited.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't run mud out here, and avoid most of the tough stuff....

But I've never run anything besides stock or steelies, so my knowledge is limited.
No worries, I appreciate you sharing.
Sponsored