First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Sorry for the dumb question, but how can I tell which bumper I have on my new Rubicon?
Your bumpers will either be plastic or metal... also your window sticker has a list.
Sponsored

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
The lack of skid plate is what did it for me. That, and knowing that I just spent $45k+ on a vehicle, I didnā€™t like the idea of someone backing into it and smashing my plastic bumper. I also didnā€™t want to put more money into an aftermarket bumper. If I do decide to get an aftermarket bumper, the oem ones sell for about what I paid for them.

In the end, as with everything, itā€™s up to you. Itā€™s not an insignificant amount of money, for sure, but I knew I would regret the plastic bumper and would lack the peace of mind. The extra money was easily justified in my case.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Sorry for the dumb question, but how can I tell which bumper I have on my new Rubicon?
If you have a bunch of bolt head all over your bumper - then you have steel
If you rap your knuckles on the bumper and it resonates like metal - you have steel.
if you take a torch, light it and blast it against your bumper and it melts - you just melted your plastic bumper

mryan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
61A62EF2-1A5A-4852-8BEE-4FA2A01F61F0.png
79CA3FFA-770B-4B75-A982-3050AAD9F792.png
Here are a couple of pics. I assume I do not have the steel group.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
61A62EF2-1A5A-4852-8BEE-4FA2A01F61F0.png
79CA3FFA-770B-4B75-A982-3050AAD9F792.png
Here are a couple of pics. I assume I do not have the steel group.
You are correct. Still a great looking ride though!

Sponsored

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
That's a good looking Jeep man. Like others have said, don't get bent out of shape about not having steel (pun intended), there are plenty of probably superior after market options for steel bumpers.

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
Not having the steel bumper isnā€™t a bad thing. In retrospect I probably wouldnā€™t have purchased it because I would have ended up with an aftermarket piece. The JCR Mauler has my name all over it.

However,I just winched mine, so at this point Iā€™m keeping it.

Be glad you saved some money for a replacement bumper. You plan on hitting the trails, youā€™re gonna need it.

Sponsored

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
This is the one option (Steel Bumper) I wanted, but didnā€™t do.
As much as I wanted to go to a stubby bumper, I did not want the LEDs.
I will get a stubby bumper and sell the regular bumper to someone who needs to replace theirs.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
This is the one option (Steel Bumper) I wanted, but didnā€™t do.
As much as I wanted to go to a stubby bumper, I did not want the LEDs.
I will get a stubby bumper and sell the regular bumper to someone who needs to replace theirs.
Can I ask why you didn't want LEDs? They were a must for me.

And I don't believe you need to add LEDs if you choose the steel bumper group, I just looked and they are separate options that don't tie in either.

Also, I love my steel bumper on my JKUHR and so glad they had it available on the JL. It's a really nice stock bumper with the stubby option and all.....and love the red tow hooks too ;)

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan

And I don't believe you need to add LEDs if you choose the steel bumper group, I just looked and they are separate options that don't tie in either.

Also, I love my steel bumper on my JKUHR and so glad they had it available on the JL. It's a really nice stock bumper with the stubby option and all.....and love the red tow hooks too ;)
LEDs were a must for me too. I had a friend offer me his LEDs from his JK, but I really liked the JLā€™s LEDs. They are pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Being able to see that far out in front at night is another one of those things that if I didnā€™t get, I knew I would regret. Just my 2 cents.

I need to make my bumper a stubby this weekend. I do love the flexibility of the factory steel bumper.

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)

The steel bumper & LEDs were linked ( you could get LEDs without the bumper, but not the bumper without the LEDs ) when I ordered - according to my salesman. I think you are right, now, they can be ordered separately .

I thought the LEDs were high performance and would be very good to have - and the rear taillight lenses are look fantastic, BUT I didn't like the way they were implemented. The wiring harness, etc. - it was all too much of a special set up / lock in to Mopar when/if you needed repairs and replacements. I have had other Jeep products where that's the case - I hate that. Someday, I will replace all but the headlights with aftermarket LEDs and get a set of the rear lenses from a junk yard or Mopar. My major trigger on saying no was, I just would not pay $900 for LEDs.

I am 90% sure I will do the steel bumper. The only downside is the weight factor - it is so easy to end up adding thousands of pounds to a jeep - and then wonder why your mileage and handling keep deteriorating. By the way, I have not seen a 3rd party bumper that I like as much as the Jeep Steel.

RepeatJeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previously 2005 TJRU, 2018 JLR(Pending)
Occupation
US Army Warrant Officer
I didnā€™t go with the Steel bumpers, will wait on an aftermarket alternative....cause Jeep!
Sponsored