Sponsored

JL Rubicon Resale (private party)

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'm thinking about ordering a new vehicle. Trade in value here in CO is a joke, thousands under what KBB and NADA estimate the value to be. One dealer compared my fully loaded Rubicon to one without a single option and based trade in off of that.

It's going to take months to get a new car these days, wondering what the level of effort in selling private party really is. What's the best avenue, best site, how long should I expect (ish).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Check vroom, carmax, KBB, carvana, as they all have cash offers.

I sold my last Jeep privately on facebook marketplace.

OP
OP
Deviant

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Check vroom, carmax, KBB, carvana, as they all have cash offers.

I sold my last Jeep privately on facebook marketplace.
Not sure the cash offers will work for me as I have an extended warranty that I think can only be transferred once at the time of sale.

How difficult was Facebook? Get a good price?

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
Not sure the cash offers will work for me as I have an extended warranty that I think can only be transferred once at the time of sale.

You bring up a good question about warranties. I worked in a different industry but extended warranties were always cancel-able. This was part of consumer protection act of 1972. I think that you can cancel your warranty and then will not have to pay that portion when closing your loan, but I would like to know if that is true or not.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
We just traded in our Gladiator. We received what it was worth. From a buddy I know in the dealership finance game he said to be really concerned about what is coming up for used vehicles in the current market. So your vehicle will hold a premium. Sounds like the market is going to get worse before it gets better. So don't give up.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ

Facebook marketplace was really easy. I just put a free ad on the marketplace with a few pictures and I sold it to someone within 24 hours of listing it. I was asking $27k and they offered me $26k cash. Made up a bill of sale and went to the notary.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
You bring up a good question about warranties. I worked in a different industry but extended warranties were always cancel-able. This was part of consumer protection act of 1972. I think that you can cancel your warranty and then will not have to pay that portion when closing your loan, but I would like to know if that is true or not.
Correct, extended warranties can be canceled. It will be at a prorated price of course, Just take your paperwork to the dealer you bought the warranty from, and the finance person can take care of it for you.

And, @Xcoaste is right. You get a better price at Carvana, etc. And it should be enough to cover the difference in sales tax, and come out ahead also. But, make sure you negotiate the price of the new vehicle without letting the saleperson know what you intentions are as to trading in, or selling your vehicle before hand.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Facebook marketplace was really easy. I just put a free ad on the marketplace with a few pictures and I sold it to someone within 24 hours of listing it. I was asking $27k and they offered me $26k cash. Made up a bill of sale and went to the notary.
I’ll second this. I sold my 2018 Unlimited Sport S on Facebook Marketplace. Within an hour of posting, I had 6 offers and sold it for what I was asking. The guy showed up at 10 o’clock the next morning, test drove, then we went to the bank. We both use Wells Fargo, so the transaction was quick, painless, and I didn’t have to worry about a check bouncing.

We also sold a Challenger through Marketplace this year. It took a little bit longer but we got almost full asking price. After the test drive, the guy left, lined up his own financing through his credit union, and returned two days later with a certified check from the credit union for the full amount.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
If it is heavily modified don't bother with Vroom, Carvana, Carmax etc etc. You will get nothing close to what it is worth. Put it on FB marketplace for a couple of weeks. Then do autotrader. Go high as you will get all the dealers and tire kickers calling you to low ball you. Once you find the "actual end buyer" it will sell at market value.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
If it is heavily modified don't bother with Vroom, Carvana, Carmax etc etc. Go high as you will get all the dealers and tire kickers calling you to low ball you.
Yeah, I’ll second that too. I did receive more than a few calls from dealers. And not even big dealerships. More like small car lot guys trying to take advantage.

Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Try CarGuru, cheap at only about $5 for 1 listing and gets a lot of views. Put it for sale at a price you'd be happy at and you might be surprised considering todays market.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Try a different dealership. Depends on what they want/are looking for.

I wanted to trade/sell my JLUR in July.

Dealership A: 50k offer
Dealership B: 53.5k offer

Went with dealership B.

In September I wanted to trade in my RAM. I initially went to dealership B first based on the previous offers/sale. Dealership B jerked me around, lied about AP being included in the quote, and lowballed the trade in.

I went to dealership A the following day. They were 6k higher on trade in and honored AP.

Same two dealerships but completely opposite experiences each time.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I feel you on trade prices. I'm also in CO and all the dealers totally low balled us for both cars. KBB says one car trade value is 22 - 25k, and one Toyota dealer in Fort Collins offered us 15k and one Toyota dealer in Greeley offer us 19k. Then they want to charge MSRP and nothing less and the douche at the Greeley Toyota dealer wanted us to buy a $700 GAP policy when we would have $12k in equity. Slime balls. I've always been a Toyota fan boy and even on overlandbound.com my username is "wishihada4runner". The Jeep dealer in Fort Collins gave me a fair deal. I did have to work a little for it but my sales guy was willing to work with me. I got 24,400 for my '18 Subaru Outback that needs new struts and has a 2" ADF lift with aftermarket wheels ande 60k miles. High mileage and a little pin striping from trails but nothing that won't buff out. KBB says 25-27k and carmax offered me (without the info of a lift kit) 25k cash. I'm happy with the deal and that's what matters.

OP
OP
Deviant

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It's mostly about the timing.

No dealership (that I've found) will honor the trade in value they quote for more than a few days, let alone several months. So if I order today they might have a different tune 2 to 3 months from now.

The tax differential is insignificant compared to the trade-in v. private party value so I wanted to try that route but i've never sold private party before, also never had to wait this long on a new car.
Sponsored

Last edited: