First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Try carmax. They typically give a hair more than the fair KBB value. With winter approaching they should be eager to buy a 4x4.
Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Facebook marketplace was really easy. I just put a free ad on the marketplace with a few pictures and I sold it to someone within 24 hours of listing it. I was asking $27k and they offered me $26k cash. Made up a bill of sale and went to the notary.
That’s pretty awesome. My sister in law sells on marketplace and she has problems getting people to cough up 10 dollars for a short when she gets there let alone 26 grand. We laugh it’s always of I only have a 20 do you have change? Oh I thought you said this much? No here it is in writing in our conversation.

That’s pretty cool that you unloaded it on Facebook. I looked for all most a year for a used boat with my buddy and all we found was garbage.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
One word; Craigslist.
we sold my wifes explorer privately before picking up her wrangler and I wasnt impressed with craigslist. i had to pay to list it and didnt get any interest from there. we got alot of exposure on facebook marketplace and sold it through there.

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I got a trade in offer of $43000 on my 2021 Willys Gladiator. I went through Vroom, Carvana, Carbuyerusa and Carmax to see what they would do.

Vroom: $47,317
Carbuyerusa: $46,272
Carmax: $44,000
Carvana: $37,000

Obviously Vroom would be the winner. But I don't like their process. They come and get the vehicle and take it somewhere else for an inspection. Then after that your get paid. And hope after the inspection the offer is the same.

Carbuyerusa sends an inspector to you. They do the inspection and then make the offer. You agree then get paid before they pick it up. I talked to them after my initial offer and they matched Vroom's offer. Seems a safer way of doing things. I have heard horror stories about Carvana and Vroom. People getting lower offers after it is taken off site due to issues they find. Seems pretty to make a scratch or ding appear if you aren't there to watch.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
That’s pretty awesome. My sister in law sells on marketplace and she has problems getting people to cough up 10 dollars for a short when she gets there let alone 26 grand. We laugh it’s always of I only have a 20 do you have change? Oh I thought you said this much? No here it is in writing in our conversation.

That’s pretty cool that you unloaded it on Facebook. I looked for all most a year for a used boat with my buddy and all we found was garbage.
I was a tad nervous... had a friend come count the money and I went to the supermarket to borrow their counterfeit pen to check random bills, haha. I then hid the money and slept by the door until the bank opened!

Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
we sold my wifes explorer privately before picking up her wrangler and I wasnt impressed with craigslist. i had to pay to list it and didnt get any interest from there. we got alot of exposure on facebook marketplace and sold it through there.
Sorry to hear you didn't have luck on Craigslist. It has been the opposite for me and the nominal charge ($5.00 for 30 days) just started a few years ago. I have bought and sold some amazing vehicles through their website. Maybe it's a California thing.

OP
OP
Deviant

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
KBB trade in value is subjective and only close IF you choose the correct condition of your vehicle. Most people choose EXCELLENT- GOOD condition when they should choose FAIR condition. Why? Because FAIR condition is closest to what the dealer can buy a similar trim level vehicle at auction for. They are most often not going to pay you more then auction prices regardless of what extras you may have installed on your vehicle.

The different between EXCELLENT and FAIR can be thousands and may seem like you are getting the big “S” but in fact you are not. Your vehicle might truly be in EXCELLENT condition to you and the private maker, but to a dealer it’s just another truck that they may have to turn around and sell at auction or to a wholesale dealer. They have to ensure they don’t take a loss even in today’s market.

Note: There are some dealers that hope to low ball you even below FAIR, its commonly called “ripping”. It is incumbent on individual to know the KBB “FAIR” trade in value in order to not be a victim of “ripping”.
Oh, insiders call that "ripping"... I think the rest of us just call it ripping people off.

Trade in value has conditions for a reason, to not honor those conditions is missing the whole point. I won't take "fair" value for a vehicle in good to excellent condition, no one should. The last time I asked about a trade in I was presented with 2k under "rough" value. When I asked about the discrepancy I was presented with a printed sheet of "comparable" vehicles recently sold on auto trader. The one they based my vehicle's value on was a ZERO option JL Rubicon which I only found out after going home and looking it up myself (they would not give me the paper). For reference my stock JL Rubicon is in Good to excellent condition (really) with the 12K worth of factory options and the dealer was a major metropolitan one.

The dealership industry as a whole needs revamping. As most consumers become more educated they have shifted their focus to ripping off the rest even more. There are now fees on top of fees with fees attached. It's a corrupt industry and making excuses for it only hurts the consumers.

Last edited:

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Don't worry about the extended warranty if you sell it to Vroom or whoever. You can cancel it from your selling dealer, and get a prorated amount back. If you sell it to an individual then you can transfer it, if you want.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I was a tad nervous... had a friend come count the money and I went to the supermarket to borrow their counterfeit pen to check random bills, haha. I then hid the money and slept by the door until the bank opened!
niiiiice! and you went all cash. oh man i would never have had the balls. my luck I would have sold it to a meth head and they would be paying me in monopoly money.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve sold two vehicles to Vroom with one being in the past two weeks. They were 8k higher than Carvana this last time and have already transferred funds. Quick and easy. No changes to the offer after they picked up the vehicle. But both cars were also in mint condition with less than 6k miles. If a car has undisclosed damage or issues, that may result in a reduced offer.
That goes without saying but it is hard to know how much nitpick they do to a 6-year-old car with what I deem as normal wear/tear.

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Definitely get quotes from vroom and carvana. It's fast and no obligation and then you've got a couple of data points to compare other offers to.

FWIW I just sold to vroom a week ago. They were $4k above anyone else. The driver took some pics and within a hour of the Jeep being picked up I had a tracking number for my check. It was exactly one week from start to check. I was pleasantly surprised. They've listed the Jeep for sale for less than $200 more than what they paid me. No idea how they could possibly be making a profit on that. It feels like they are throwing money away right now in an attempt to gain market share. So definitely check it out in case you can take advantage. That business strategy can't last.

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
Glad to hear positive real life experiences with Vroom.
They were the highest offer by $3000.

2021 JLUR. 6300 miles
MSRP about $51,600

KBB trade in average in good condition is $55,000

Trade in from Chapman $50,000

Carvana $50,925

Buyer thru Car Gurus $52,500

Givemethevin $52,000

Local Hendick sent me a 'trade certificate' for $53,750 to $55,600.
That was a bait and switch scam because when I drove down there, 'certificate' in hand, and with KBB printouts and my Vroom offer for comparison...they say $46k

After telling them they were full of it, I said F I and sat right there and filled out my Vroom paperwork.
$55,471.
My wife is giving my the 'it's your decision' but basically saying I'm about to learn a hard lesson going with them.
Reminding me of their horrible reputation and BBB scores.
She said they are selling a 2020 with same mileage and more options than mine for $56k

I have to say I am worried.
I cleaned it all up Saturday inside and out. I did put 106 more miles on it than when I sent the pic of the odometer. That was me driving to Hendrick to get screwed by them.
They can easily claim some new damage they find, or that it's a bit over mileage and reduce their offer.
I don't have much say at that point other than to take their offer or PAY to get it shipped back.

Hearing the positive results gives me hope.

I'll follow up as it progresses.

Deleted member 59498

Yeah let us know JP, I will be trading or selling in the next few months.

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
Yeah let us know JP, I will be trading or selling in the next few months.
And there it goes.
Just over a week from accepting offer, getting paperwork signed, to on the trailer.
Now to see about getting paid! ;)
I'll keep ya all posted!
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon Resale (private party) 20211108_165654

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
And there it goes.
Just over a week from accepting offer, getting paperwork signed, to on the trailer.
Now to see about getting paid! ;)
I'll keep ya all posted!
20211108_165654.jpg
Nice! I'll be curious to hear how quickly they issue your check. I was really surprised when I got a notice of the check being sent less than an hour after the Jeep was picked up. That seemed to imply the driver did all of the inspection needed. He did walk around and take a bunch of pictures. I wonder if some drivers are trained to do the inspection on site to speed up the process. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored