JL Rubicon Resale (private party)

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
KBB trade in value is subjective and only close IF you choose the correct condition of your vehicle. Most people choose EXCELLENT- GOOD condition when they should choose FAIR condition. Why? Because FAIR condition is closest to what the dealer can buy a similar trim level vehicle at auction for. They are most often not going to pay you more then auction prices regardless of what extras you may have installed on your vehicle.

The different between EXCELLENT and FAIR can be thousands and may seem like you are getting the big “S” but in fact you are not. Your vehicle might truly be in EXCELLENT condition to you and the private maker, but to a dealer it’s just another truck that they may have to turn around and sell at auction or to a wholesale dealer. They have to ensure they don’t take a loss even in today’s market.

Note: There are some dealers that hope to low ball you even below FAIR, its commonly called “ripping”. It is incumbent on individual to know the KBB “FAIR” trade in value in order to not be a victim of “ripping”.
Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
One word; Craigslist.

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
I sold my 2019 Rubicon to VROOM and got 5k more than I paid new. Got the money 2 days after they picked it up. Then went to the dealer I purchased it from and cancelled the extended warranty and got my prorated refund.

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
Friend of mine traded in his 2018 Sahara and got 2k more than he paid for it new.

I just traded in a 2014 Corvette and got 5k more than I paid for it 2 years ago.

Trade in values are high, I would recommend checking with a few other dealers. Get KBB and trade offers from vroom carvana etc to compare vs. dealer.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I'm thinking about ordering a new vehicle. Trade in value here in CO is a joke, thousands under what KBB and NADA estimate the value to be. One dealer compared my fully loaded Rubicon to one without a single option and based trade in off of that.

It's going to take months to get a new car these days, wondering what the level of effort in selling private party really is. What's the best avenue, best site, how long should I expect (ish).
don't waste your time with dealerships. Try Vroom.com, Carvana.com, KBB.com, Carmax.com. All of those will give you a cash offer estimate based on the options and the condition. Vroom for me was the highest offer by almost $3000. Get online estimates from a few to get an idea of the cast value and you can then decide to pursue that or a private buyer.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I sold my 2019 Rubicon to VROOM and got 5k more than I paid new. Got the money 2 days after they picked it up. Then went to the dealer I purchased it from and cancelled the extended warranty and got my prorated refund.
I'm trying to do the same. Vroom was the highest offer for me but I'm curious if they honor their price quote and what type of "checking/inspection" do they do before they pick up your car?

dreamjeep2020

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 Rubi
I used the KBB Instant cash offer feature back in July. Really straight forward and beat the highest offer I had from Vroom, Carvana, etc by $1500. Dealership called me and probably 45 minutes there start to finish. My Jeep only had wheels and tires aftermarket and was able to get an extra $700 for them.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
KBB trade in value is subjective and only close IF you choose the correct condition of your vehicle. Most people choose EXCELLENT- GOOD condition when they should choose FAIR condition. Why? Because FAIR condition is closest to what the dealer can buy a similar trim level vehicle at auction for. They are most often not going to pay you more then auction prices regardless of what extras you may have installed on your vehicle.

The different between EXCELLENT and FAIR can be thousands and may seem like you are getting the big “S” but in fact you are not. Your vehicle might truly be in EXCELLENT condition to you and the private maker, but to a dealer it’s just another truck that they may have to turn around and sell at auction or to a wholesale dealer. They have to ensure they don’t take a loss even in today’s market.

Note: There are some dealers that hope to low ball you even below FAIR, its commonly called “ripping”. It is incumbent on individual to know the KBB “FAIR” trade in value in order to not be a victim of “ripping”.
the fact of the matter is that most JL’s are not sold at auction, they are shined up and put right up front on the curb and are sold within a few days.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Order a new JL now, wait forever until it shows up, and then sell your current ride before picking the new one up.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
the fact of the matter is that most JL’s are not sold at auction, they are shined up and put right up front on the curb and are sold within a few days.
If sold to a Jeep dealership.....maybe, most often they are sent to auction or sold to a wholesaler. This ensures the dealership is not getting a “problem child” vehicle that the prior owner is trying to get rid of because it has hidden issues. This is a very common and costly. Which ultimately the dealership will be responsible to deal with. It’s more of an “urban legend” that most Jeep’s are held and sold by the buying dealership especially if they are not Jeep dealerships. But if you want to believe the legend that’s OK, it’s your right.

grim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2020 Triumph Street Triple RS
Occupation
IT
I'm trying to do the same. Vroom was the highest offer for me but I'm curious if they honor their price quote and what type of "checking/inspection" do they do before they pick up your car?
I’ve sold two vehicles to Vroom with one being in the past two weeks. They were 8k higher than Carvana this last time and have already transferred funds. Quick and easy. No changes to the offer after they picked up the vehicle. But both cars were also in mint condition with less than 6k miles. If a car has undisclosed damage or issues, that may result in a reduced offer.

Last edited:

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
A couple of our local dealers have ads screaming about how much they will pay for your car. One local cracks me up cuz they say the same thing, only in a soft, muted, trust-me tone in their commercials. It's like the guy is whispering sweet nothings in your ear before he (tries to) ram it home with no lube.

Best offer I got locally was 6 grand below what Carvana gave me with no negotiation or hassle. Carvana was 3K above Vroom and CarMax.

Carvana met me in a nearby city and literally handed me a check as he got out of his car.

On my 2021 JLU, assuming Jeep pulls out a decent color for 2022 in the spring, which isn't looking promising, I'll try the online 3 first, but frankly, just sitting it along our largest cities main road works very well and very fast.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
No dealership (that I've found) will honor the trade in value they quote for more than a few days, let alone several months. So if I order today they might have a different tune 2 to 3 months from now.
To be "somewhat" fair to the dealers, they probably don't know what the market will be in a few months. Market is a lot different now than it used to be. Some manufacturers are still building and storing vehicles, waiting solely on chips and shipping. If new chips magically appear, they potentially could end up flooding the new car market and sinking new and used car values.
Sponsored