JL Rubicon Regear Costs

Nohair989

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I know this is a super old message but I am in KC as well. Did you find a place that didn't charge 2500+?
I didn't, so I went in a different direction altogether. With the market the way it is, I upgraded to a Rubicon. Now I run 315s with the stock gearing in a 6mt and have no issues. Eventually I'll want to run 37s after a MC lift and will jump back into the regear market. There just aren't enough shops doing regear work here to get a super competitive price.
Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a 4 wheel parts price quote. I'm getting mine done right now. $2200 here in Chicago area. Last year, same place quoted me at $1800 but everything went up apparently.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
You must referring to the rear pinion tail bearing?

Why would you want to replace it? It’s a double row ball bearing. Pretty stout bearing.
mine are toasted

1C9CCD51-24B4-4842-849E-663841C2C361.jpeg

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Seems like for any road rig, 4.88s are shortest one would want for 35s and 5.13s are aggressive but acceptable for 37s but good for 39s. Seems like some excellent real world validation of this chart that I needed to understand this: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/3-6-jkgearing-jpg.3099/

And as far as cost and logistics of getting Jeep home (@Some Random Guy), ... super helpful! I was thinking about how I could reduce mileage with Ferry trips and surface roads etc but Everett is my side of the Sound and actually reasonably close to me. If you have problems with the install let us know. I am probably a year out from doing this but want to plan ahead given $$$.

Thanks guys! Feel like I learned a lot from what you shared.
I think you already saw my saga in the other thread. 2/3 refund today, if the check clears.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
That's most certainly from heat; too much pre-load or something. I have yet to have any of these bearings fail.

That one is def toast though. Lol
Yea looks like from the driveshaft. Ended up binding and was Pressing on the rear diff.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I think you already saw my saga in the other thread. 2/3 refund today, if the check clears.
Yes I did unfortunately... just last night I stumbled onto your postings about the unfortunate turn of events. Glad they are giving you a refund for what probably amounts to the labor but definitely still doesn't cover the headache.

Thanks for the message. Let us all be warned from your experience to stay away from this shop.

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Well...I sold the JLUR for a Gladiator Mojave and I am ready to regear it after going to 37s. I thought prices were insane before but now it is straight up retarded. The shop I was planning to go with a year ago was $2765 is now charging $3235...ugh so frustrated with this.

Primary differences are:
1) gears cost $100 more (understandable)
2) Cost of gear oil up 40% but somehow the Jeep now takes 8 quarts instead of 6?
3) Labor is now 12 hrs at $150/hr instead of 10 hrs at $150. Guess the labor shortage makes people slower?

Cheers

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Well...I sold the JLUR for a Gladiator Mojave and I am ready to regear it after going to 37s. I thought prices were insane before but now it is straight up retarded. The shop I was planning to go with a year ago was $2765 is now charging $3235...ugh so frustrated with this.

Primary differences are:
1) gears cost $100 more (understandable)
2) Cost of gear oil up 40% but somehow the Jeep now takes 8 quarts instead of 6?
3) Labor is now 12 hrs at $150/hr instead of 10 hrs at $150. Guess the labor shortage makes people slower?

Cheers
8qts? 6qts will do your initial fill AND your 500 mile service. Each diff takes about 1.5qts. 12 hours is pretty crazy if it’s a shop that regularly does gears

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8qts? 6qts will do your initial fill AND your 500 mile service. Each diff takes about 1.5qts. 12 hours is pretty crazy if it’s a shop that regularly does gears
My thoughts exactly...and they are a well known Jeep shop here...

Sponsored

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where you at? What shop?
The shop is Mule Expedition Outfitters in Issaquah, which would be really convenient as they are only 15 minutes away. Last year when calling all the shops in the area they were all close in price and Mule uses Nitro gears (heard these are the best?). Cheapest shop of the ones I called last year was Northridge4x4 but they are 2 hours away and logistically that is a challenge. :-/

Cheers

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The shop is Mule Expedition Outfitters in Issaquah, which would be really convenient as they are only 15 minutes away. Last year when calling all the shops in the area they were all close in price and Mule uses Nitro gears (heard these are the best?). Cheapest shop of the ones I called last year was Northridge4x4 but they are 2 hours away and logistically that is a challenge. :-/

Cheers
Northridge does good work. Nitro gears are great but I’d stick with Dana/Spicer on the Jeeps.

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Northridge does good work. Nitro gears are great but I’d stick with Dana/Spicer on the Jeeps.
Appreciate the perspective. I will push for Dana Spicer if available and Nitro gears if not.

I called around to some more shops in the area. XO Motorsports and Aaron's Olympic 4x4 both are coming in at a more reasonable $2500+tax for Nitro/Dana Spicer gears inclusive of the 500 mile inspection/refill.

Anyone have additional insight on these two shops? Both seem to be reputable and sound like they know what they are doing. They are much closer to home compared to Northridge 4x4.

Cheers

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
We won’t even install nitro.

also 99% of all of our gear jobs are Jeeps sowe know what we are doing and the job will be perfect.
Sponsored