First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Anyone know about if any of the install kits replace the ball bearings with roller for the pinion bearings? Looking into regearing my JLUR and was thinking it’d be a nice piece of mind upgrade at the least while I’m gonna have everything apart
You must referring to the rear pinion tail bearing?

Why would you want to replace it? It’s a double row ball bearing. Pretty stout bearing.
Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
With regards to Nitro gears, that is what I am going with as I have heard they are the highest quality.

Cheers
GinjaNinja, Did you end up getting the new gears installed. If yes, where, how much did you pay and what do you think about the 5.13s?

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
GinjaNinja, Did you end up getting the new gears installed. If yes, where, how much did you pay and what do you think about the 5.13s?
Never regeared my JL because shortly after posting here I decided to trade it for a Gladiator. I intend to go with 5.13 or 5.38 on my Gladiator since I plan to move up to 38s and it would still work well with 35s. The prices in our area are high though...so expect $2600-$3000 :-/

Cheers

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Never regeared my JL because shortly after posting here I decided to trade it for a Gladiator. I intend to go with 5.13 or 5.38 on my Gladiator since I plan to move up to 38s and it would still work well with 35s. The prices in our area are high though...so expect $2600-$3000 :-/

Cheers
Nice! Congratulations on the Gladiator. When you regear your new rig I would still be interested in hearing about all the same things and what you think about performance on 35s (before you upsize to 38s of course!). Is the Gladiator a manual?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I know that was posted back in OCT 2020, but if you are still active. What shop is this? I am looking for one.
They are gone due to COVID.

Try @chevymitchell on here based in NC or Locked and Loaded Off-road in PA. Both reasonable drives and do good work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Nice! Congratulations on the Gladiator. When you regear your new rig I would still be interested in hearing about all the same things and what you think about performance on 35s (before you upsize to 38s of course!). Is the Gladiator a manual?
Thanks! I am a die hard manual guy but honestly I was not happy with the ratios and clutch on the 6 speed. In my opinion the manual with the 6 speed needed a regear with heavy 35s.

I went with the 8 speed auto for the Gladiator and really glad I did. You get a higher towing capacity and it is a really good auto transmission. I do not feel like I have to regear with the same 35s that were on my JL but I think it would drive even better with 5.13s. 38s definitely would need it in my opinion.

Cheers,

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Thanks! I am a die hard manual guy but honestly I was not happy with the ratios and clutch on the 6 speed. In my opinion the manual with the 6 speed needed a regear with heavy 35s.

I went with the 8 speed auto for the Gladiator and really glad I did. You get a higher towing capacity and it is a really good auto transmission. I do not feel like I have to regear with the same 35s that were on my JL but I think it would drive even better with 5.13s. 38s definitely would need it in my opinion.

Cheers,
I love my manual. That said, Jeep did a complete disservice to the manual buyers by making 4.10s the shortest gearing available. 4.10s should be standard in even the lowest Sport trim manuals. Rubicons should come with at least 4.56s in manuals. That Jeep skipped right over 4.56s to 4.88s for the manual Xtreme recon says it all.

When you do regear, I would still like to know price you paid and how good of a job they did. Same neck of the woods so this information will be relevant to me. Good luck.

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Anyone knows a good shop in the KC area for re-gear? Would most likely prefer the shop to be able to weld in trusses for me too, if possible.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of getting quotes for a re-gear. I lifted my Rubicon and put 37s on it so I'm looking to re-gear to 4.88.

I've waiting on a quote from a shop in Boulder but they told me to expect it to be $3000. My local 4WheelParts shop is saying $2500. I'm still waiting on a quote from a shop in Broomfield. I guess I'll keep shopping around.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm in the process of getting quotes for a re-gear. I lifted my Rubicon and put 37s on it so I'm looking to re-gear to 4.88.

I've waiting on a quote from a shop in Boulder but they told me to expect it to be $3000. My local 4WheelParts shop is saying $2500. I'm still waiting on a quote from a shop in Broomfield. I guess I'll keep shopping around.
Don’t let 4WheelParts touch your rig.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I love my manual. That said, Jeep did a complete disservice to the manual buyers by making 4.10s the shortest gearing available. 4.10s should be standard in even the lowest Sport trim manuals. Rubicons should come with at least 4.56s in manuals. That Jeep skipped right over 4.56s to 4.88s for the manual Xtreme recon says it all.

When you do regear, I would still like to know price you paid and how good of a job they did. Same neck of the woods so this information will be relevant to me. Good luck.
I went with Randy’s Worldwide (AKA, Yukon) in Everett. <Edit, they did a shit job. The head bearing toasted twice after their work. I worked out a refund deal, we’ll see if they honor it.> I did pay a high cost ($2700, no freebie service/500 check). However, they did great and the other quotes were over $3500. Think about how you’re going to get your rig home without toasting your diff if you go with a distant shop for some savings.

As for gear selection, I do not recommend 5.13’s with the manual like OP was considering for most people. I have them with 39’s, and use all 6 gears on country roads (55 mph). With 37’s I suspect you’d be into 6th by 50. I don’t think the trade off would be worth it for most people. I also start in second gear a lot.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I went with Randy’s Worldwide (AKA, Yukon) in Everett. I did pay a high cost ($2700, no freebie service/500 check). However, they did great and the other quotes were over $3500. Think about how you’re going to get your rig home without toasting your diff if you go with a distant shop for some savings.

As for gear selection, I do not recommend 5.13’s with the manual like OP was considering for most people. I have them with 39’s, and use all 6 gears on country roads (55 mph). With 37’s I suspect you’d be into 6th by 50. I don’t think the trade off would be worth it for most people. I also start in second gear a lot.
5.13s with 37s and the manual here. Highly recommend.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t let 4WheelParts touch your rig.
not going to, I just wanted to know their pricing. I shoulda been clear on that.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM

[5.13s] I have them with 39’s, and use all 6 gears on country roads (55 mph). With 37’s I suspect you’d be into 6th by 50.

5.13s with 37s and the manual here. Highly recommend.
Seems like for any road rig, 4.88s are shortest one would want for 35s and 5.13s are aggressive but acceptable for 37s but good for 39s. Seems like some excellent real world validation of this chart that I needed to understand this: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/3-6-jkgearing-jpg.3099/

And as far as cost and logistics of getting Jeep home (@Some Random Guy), ... super helpful! I was thinking about how I could reduce mileage with Ferry trips and surface roads etc but Everett is my side of the Sound and actually reasonably close to me. If you have problems with the install let us know. I am probably a year out from doing this but want to plan ahead given $$$.

Thanks guys! Feel like I learned a lot from what you shared.

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
I've been quoted $2400 and $2500 by two different shops in the KC area for going to 4.56 gears and I thought that was quite high. So I've expanded my search to include a few shops in neighboring metropolitan areas to see if maybe it's just a local thing.
I know this is a super old message but I am in KC as well. Did you find a place that didn't charge 2500+?
Sponsored