First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
A granite crystal metallic with red seat belts would be great. Similar to my old SRT 392. Some alcantara red seat covers to go with it too. :like:

It doesn’t work on every color though....at all.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for clarifying this, as I tried to do earlier either in this post or on another thread.

Everyone loves to attack these "special" editions so quickly as dumb cosmetics only and restate to the world how they prefer their own build.

Yes, I understand the frustration that these could be actually special but IF you are shopping for a new Jeep AND you already planned to order all of the options in one of these many editions to choose from, it is always a cost savings. That is literally what these are, discounted option packages grouped together.
People don’t automatically deride special editions. Some special editions like the original Rubicon, Type-R and Scat Pack offered unique substance to become legendary names.

However, people are going to deride a “special edition” when it offers little that is truly “special.” Most features contained in the Recon package can be obtained as stand alone options. The things that can’t, like the red seatbelts and the Gladiator wheels, are cosmetic.

Since most features can be bought separately, Recon is really more of a “value package” with a fancy name than a true “special edition.”

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
People don’t automatically deride special editions. Some special editions like the original Rubicon, Type-R and Scat Pack offered unique substance to become legendary names.

However, people are going to deride a “special edition” when it offers little that is truly “special.” Most features contained in the Recon package can be obtained as stand alone options. The things that can’t, like the red seatbelts and the Gladiator wheels, are cosmetic.

Since most features can be bought separately, Recon is really more of a “value package” with a fancy name than a true “special edition.”
100% agree

It’s definitely a value package with little “special” about it, hence the quotation marks. I also get the frustration when looking back at past real special editions of yesteryear.

I just get frustrated saying “it’s only cosmetic”. It can be confusing and misleading to new Jeepers in the market trying to make sense of all this craziness that FCA throws out there.

It’s only cosmetics AND a discounted options package bundle. So only consider it if you were already considering those options packages and you like those cosmetic details.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
It's a big magnetic hook stay on the new steel bumpers!:LOL:

These look like the new mid length 1 piece steel bumpers, not the regular 3 piece steel bumpers.
Looks like there are seams where the end-caps come off
bumper.PNG

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Curious... currently on Jeep.com the Recon 4 door is $4k more than Rubi equivalent. Basically the cost of the 4 banger, 8sp., and steel bumper. Aside from decals, black grill, and different wheels I’m finding the value very hard to see.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Curious... currently on Jeep.com the Recon 4 door is $4k more than Rubi equivalent. Basically the cost of the 4 banger, 8sp., and steel bumper. Aside from decals, black grill, and different wheels I’m finding the value very hard to see.
Base price on the Recon (w/o factoring in the required auto) is $44880. Base on a Rubi is $42125. That's a difference of $2755. The Recon gets steel bumpers ($1395), the performance rock rails w/step assist ($995), LED lighting group ($1045), the hinge gate reinforcement ($675) and the Mopar bumper bar ($249) in addition to the model specific dash, seat belts wheels and decals. Those 5 options alone add up to $3859, so a savings of $1604 on just those 5 popular items. The decals, black grill seat belts and wheels are all cost add-ons if purchased separately, though they add no extra value (they are just stylistic replacements).
You also get the 2.0 Turbo BSG, which is not available on the standard Rubi, for what that's worth, which does push up the price of the auto another $500 (from $1500 with the standard 2.0 to $2000 with the mild hybrid). FCA's flex pricing on the auto with different engines still baffles me. Why not just have different prices for the engines themselves? It's the same damned transmission on the 3.6, the 3.6 BSG, the 2.0 ad the 2.0 BSG!

Last edited:

JeepAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon Recon
Base price on the Recon (w/o factoring in the required auto) is $44880. Base on a Rubi is $42125. That's a difference of $2755. The Recon gets steel bumpers ($1395), the performance rock rails w/step assist ($995), LED lighting group ($1045), the hinge gate reinforcement ($675) and the Mopar bumper bar ($249) in addition to the model specific dash, seat belts wheels and decals. Those 5 options alone add up to $3859, so a savings of $1604 on just those 5 popular items. The decals, black grill seat belts and wheels are all cost add-ons if purchased separately, though they add no extra value (they are just stylistic replacements).
You also get the 2.0 Turbo BSG, which is not available on the standard Rubi, for what that's worth, which does push up the price of the auto another $500 (from $1500 with the standard 2.0 to $2000 with the mild hybrid). FCA's flex pricing on the auto with different engines still baffles me. Why not just have different prices for the engines themselves? It's the same damned transmission on the 3.6, the 3.6 BSG, the 2.0 ad the 2.0 BSG!
This is the best summary of features and value I've seen. @misanthrope Thanks for posting.

Sponsored

Kellen

First Name
Kellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a Recon as a replacement for the 19 Rubicon that I have being bought back and after adding all the features and packages I wanted the Recon came out cheaper than the standard Rubicon. I’m personally not a fan of the leather wrapped dash and will be swapping it with the standard red Rubicon dash that I think will look great with the Sting-Gray.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I just ordered a Recon as a replacement for the 19 Rubicon that I have being bought back and after adding all the features and packages I wanted the Recon came out cheaper than the standard Rubicon. I’m personally not a fan of the leather wrapped dash and will be swapping it with the standard red Rubicon dash that I think will look great with the Sting-Gray.
You probably will not have a problem finding someone to swap your dash with.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I noticed on the builder that the premium over a standard Rubicon is $2755 for 2-door and $4040 for 4-door. Wonder what gives.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I noticed on the builder that the premium over a standard Rubicon is $2755 for 2-door and $4040 for 4-door. Wonder what gives.
At least FCA made the Recon available on the 2-door. For a while the 2-doors were short changed.
Sponsored