JL Rubicon - Fox Internal Bypass Shocks

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
The Fox specs call for a 2-3" lift to run their shortest internal bypass shocks.

Can these be run on a stock Rubicon without issues?

It will either be smooth bodies or bypasses. The dual comp shocks are not an option for me.

Thanks for any help. I'm new to this world. Come from desert racing background.

Edited to add, I guess what is the shortest collapsed and longest extension you can go for overall length before the stock Rubicon runs into issues?
Sponsored

Last edited:

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
OP
OP
acheron800

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
Not sure you would want to run these nice of shocks without any additional lift.

Fore fitment, you may find this article helpful if you are trying to squeeze the most travel out of this Jeep: https://accutuneoffroad.com/how-to-measure-for-jeep-shocks/
I would love to run the bypasses with no additional lift and to keep CG low, as long as they fit and are usable. Cost is of little issue, I have an inside line at Fox.

Not too worried about squeezing travel, I understand its limited coming from previous cars.

I read your write up, lots of info.

Do you have any personal experience with anybody running the fox bypasses on a stock Rubicon?

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
The Fox specs call for a 2-3" lift to run their shortest internal bypass shocks.

Can these be run on a stock Rubicon without issues?

It will either be smooth bodies or bypasses. The dual comp shocks are not an option for me.

Thanks for any help. I'm new to this world. Come from desert racing background.

Edited to add, I guess what is the shortest collapsed and longest extension you can go for overall length before the stock Rubicon runs into issues?
No idea but to get a long travel shock your either going to have to lift it or run a lot of bumpstop. Investing serious money into a shock like that at stock height for an obv smaller tire seems rather self defeating and expensive for little gain over something like a fox 2.0 shocks. Spending a ton of money on shocks to just ride the bumpstop doesn't sound like a good time and even less of a good time running in the desert.

I've seen several people just run a fox 2.0 for 1.5-2.5" of lift and use extra bumpstop. This gives you a good bit more for down travel and you can manage the up travel.

Sponsored

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I don't know the specs of of a stock JLR, but with the link Accutune gave, the specs of the Fox shocks, and a tape measure you can figure it out by measuring your jeep.

Agree with @bumpit

OP
OP
acheron800

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
I don't know the specs of of a stock JLR, but with the link Accutune gave, the specs of the Fox shocks, and a tape measure you can figure it out by measuring your jeep.

Agree with @bumpit
Won't be here for 3 months or so. Or else I would.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I have the Fox 2.5 DSC shocks on my Rubicon. I run Fox internal bypass shocks on my Maverick X3 XRC. The internal bypass shocks ride much smoother, but I am comparing apples to oranges. Internal bypass shocks can be sensitive to heat, and fade if pushed really hard. They have a dual wall construction to allow the oil to bypass the piston, so the cooling air never gets to the inner wall. You wouldn't be capable of pushing a Jeep that hard, but on a race UTV that is run flat out in the whoops for mile after mile you can notice the fade. Shock performance on loop one of a racecourse is better than loop two, which is better than loop three.

The limiting factor with a Jeep in the desert is lack of suspension up travel. It doesn't matter how good the shocks are, they aren't going to improve suspension up travel. The only way to increase up travel is with a suspension lift, and minimal or no increase in tire size, so you don't have to extend the bump stops and limit up travel even more. Throwing the most expensive shocks on something with stock Jeep suspension up travel may not be as helpful as you are expecting.

OP
OP
acheron800

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
I have the Fox 2.5 DSC shocks on my Rubicon. I run Fox internal bypass shocks on my Maverick X3 XRC. The internal bypass shocks ride much smoother, but I am comparing apples to oranges. Internal bypass shocks can be sensitive to heat, and fade if pushed really hard. They have a dual wall construction to allow the oil to bypass the piston, so the cooling air never gets to the inner wall. You wouldn't be capable of pushing a Jeep that hard, but on a race UTV that is run flat out in the whoops for mile after mile you can notice the fade. Shock performance on loop one of a racecourse is better than loop two, which is better than loop three.

The limiting factor with a Jeep in the desert is lack of suspension up travel. It doesn't matter how good the shocks are, they aren't going to improve suspension up travel. The only way to increase up travel is with a suspension lift, and minimal or no increase in tire size, so you don't have to extend the bump stops and limit up travel even more. Throwing the most expensive shocks on something with stock Jeep suspension up travel may not be as helpful as you are expecting.
Thanks for your input.

All I can say is you don't need big travel to be fast nor smooth.

It's all in the suspension and shock tuning.

I'll add. Unless Tommy Morris, Gary Fries or SDG has tuned your canam, you're missing out.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Gary Fries tuned a Can Am I raced about 4 years ago. He does good work. Shock Therapy tuned my current Can Am.

And for what it is worth, off the shelf King 2.5" shocks felt better on my last Jeep than my current set up does on this Jeep. What I did on that Jeep was Eibach 1" lift coils, King 2.5" shocks for a 0 to 2.5" lift, SteerSmarts track bars, stock bump stops, stock sway bar links, and even stock 33" tires. It was the best handling best riding Jeep I've ever owned. ... But then I went and sold it, for a 392.

Sponsored

OP
OP
acheron800

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
Gary Fries tuned a Can Am I raced about 4 years ago. He does good work. Shock Therapy tuned my current Can Am.

And for what it is worth, off the shelf King 2.5" shocks felt better on my last Jeep than my current set up does on this Jeep.
Gary is a great guy. He tuned my race canam as well.

Not a fan of shock therapy even though I had them do my mom's rzr. Not the greatest.

OP
OP
acheron800

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser

And for what it is worth, off the shelf King 2.5" shocks felt better on my last Jeep than my current set up does on this Jeep. What I did on that Jeep was Eibach 1" lift coils, King 2.5" shocks for a 0 to 2.5" lift, SteerSmarts track bars, stock bump stops, stock sway bar links, and even stock 33" tires. It was the best handling best riding Jeep I've ever owned. ... But then I went and sold it, for a 392.
Also, the dual comps are nicknamed the harshness generators.

They are not in consideration.

It's either red shocks, smooth bodies or full blown bypasses.

Don't think I'm willing to go coilover setup at this time.
Sponsored