Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stock height JLUR, but weighted down with armor, bumper winch etc. I also have the Mopar LCAs. When measuring the diff holes I get 88.7*, and measuring the flat spot under the knuckle I get 8.7*. Mine actually drives really nice, but may be lifting soon and want to get at least back where I am now.

I zero'd out my Klein digital angle finder at 90 degree vertical and it is now showing 1.3*. It looks like to be at 90* I need shorter LCA, or longer UCA.

I am assuming I am running about 7.3 degree caster correct? This is new to me and I am a little confused. I have adjustable UCA on the way to go with my Mopar Lift LCA so I can get this dialed back in after a lift to keep it driving as nice as it does now.
The surface you're parked on is likely throwing the #'s off

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FWIW: Another way to measure caster at home is with a camber gauge and some math:

- Turn the steering wheel so the tires are 20° to the left and read camber.
- Turn the steering wheel so the tires are 20° to the right and read camber.
- Find the difference in the camber measurements.
- Multiply by 1.43 to get caster.

* if your vehicle can't get 20° steering angle, you can use 15° and multiply by 1.91

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The surface you're parked on is likely throwing the #'s off
Surface is level, or at least as level as any concrete surface can be. Verified before I took any measurements as I planned to account for floor slope ahead of time.

I used a 6ft level across the floor with my Klein digital angle gauge on top. Both the level and angle gauge were showing level.

I have a very oversized garage, and parked in the dead center to ensure I was not near the edge where it has a slight slope, and not to front or back for same reason.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Surface is level, or at least as level as any concrete surface can be. Verified before I took any measurements as I planned to account for floor slope ahead of time.

I used a 6ft level across the floor with my Klein digital angle gauge on top. Both the level and angle gauge were showing level.

I have a very oversized garage, and parked in the dead center to ensure I was not near the edge where it has a slight slope, and not to front or back for same reason.
Just thought it was worth asking. I do my own installs and alignment on my Jeep. After it's done, I'll find a good place to have it put on a professional rack. Never having lifted a vehicle or gotten too in depth on road vehicle suspension, I almost dove right into disassembly. Fortunately, I remembered to get a base line front and rear axle angle, because the steering and lift parts were done on a gravel driveway.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
FWIW: Another way to measure caster at home is with a camber gauge and some math:

- Turn the steering wheel so the tires are 20° to the left and read camber.
- Turn the steering wheel so the tires are 20° to the right and read camber.
- Find the difference in the camber measurements.
- Multiply by 1.43 to get caster.

* if your vehicle can't get 20° steering angle, you can use 15° and multiply by 1.91
This jives with the directions for the Longacre gauge, with the factor correction for scale compression. You can get the magnet gauge for under $20 and just attach it to the brake rotor as it is square to the spindle.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
This jives with the directions for the Longacre gauge, with the factor correction for scale compression. You can get the magnet gauge for under $20 and just attach it to the brake rotor as it is square to the spindle.
I'm not sure where I got the info from, and I don't really know how they came up with the correction factors... I've been using it on vehicles where the magnet hub-mounted gauge won't work, so it's good to know that Longacre's numbers are the same.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
After fighting my wandering steering and almost 2 inches of play in the steering wheel for several months I finally feel I have it under control. I have a teraflex 2.5 inch ST2 lift on my 2020 JLUR. I adjusted the steering gear about a 3/16 inch turn to the right which got rid of most of the play in the steering wheel and then I replaced the LCAs that came with the lift with a set of adjustable Teraflex LCAs. After installing them I couldn't get what I thought was a good reading of the caster angle so I decided to take it to a shop. I told them I wanted 7 degrees of caster and 0 -1/32 of toe out. Attached is the read out I got from the shop. My Rubicon drives and handles much better now. My concern is I ended up with 7.3 degrees of caster, is that to much caster considering the pinion angle? I asked the tech why it ended up at 7.3 and he said that if he rotated the LCA in a complete turn it would reduce the caster down to around 6 degree so he set it at 7.3. I like the way it handles now but I am concerned that I might be pushing it with the pinion angle. (I haven't measured the pinion angle but I think it's at about -1.3 degrees) Am I overly concerned? Should I leave it since it drives nice or should I turn the LCAs in a full turn and drop the caster down to 6ish degrees which will also drop the pinion angle down to less than 1 degree.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon caster measure image0

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
After fighting my wandering steering and almost 2 inches of play in the steering wheel for several months I finally feel I have it under control. I have a teraflex 2.5 inch ST2 lift on my 2020 JLUR. I adjusted the steering gear about a 3/16 inch turn to the right which got rid of most of the play in the steering wheel and then I replaced the LCAs that came with the lift with a set of adjustable Teraflex LCAs. After installing them I couldn't get what I thought was a good reading of the caster angle so I decided to take it to a shop. I told them I wanted 7 degrees of caster and 0 -1/32 of toe out. Attached is the read out I got from the shop. My Rubicon drives and handles much better now. My concern is I ended up with 7.3 degrees of caster, is that to much caster considering the pinion angle? I asked the tech why it ended up at 7.3 and he said that if he rotated the LCA in a complete turn it would reduce the caster down to around 6 degree so he set it at 7.3. I like the way it handles now but I am concerned that I might be pushing it with the pinion angle. (I haven't measured the pinion angle but I think it's at about -1.3 degrees) Am I overly concerned? Should I leave it since it drives nice or should I turn the LCAs in a full turn and drop the caster down to 6ish degrees which will also drop the pinion angle down to less than 1 degree.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon caster measure image0
If I am not mistaken, you generally want a small amount of toe in, not out.

Sponsored

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
I actually have 7.3 degrees caster as well and it drives great. I have read a few others on here running 7.5. I do plan to try and get mine dialed back down to 6.5 -7 degrees with an adjustable UCA after my lift goes on. I think the upper arm will let me get that sweet spot I am looking for.
Have you done any hard wheeling with it at 7.3? Just curious how it will act when she's fully flexed in 4 low, hoping there is no issue with the pinion angle. But's it good to know others are running 7.3 of caster. Thanks!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Have you done any hard wheeling with it at 7.3? Just curious how it will act when she's fully flexed in 4 low, hoping there is no issue with the pinion angle. But's it good to know others are running 7.3 of caster. Thanks!
Yes, I have fully flexed it out and there are no issues. I am running 35s now, and it still drives great. (Better that factory Falcon M/T for sure). I have about 10,000 miles on it with about half being off-road. Has been all over AZ and Sand Hollow, and multiple places in Nevada with no problems.

E1D69ABA-58A0-4A68-8717-0EAE02B467BB.jpeg

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
Yes, I have fully flexed it out and there are no issues. I am running 35s now, and it still drives great. (Better that factory Falcon M/T for sure). I have about 10,000 miles on it with about half being off-road. Has been all over AZ and Sand Hollow, and multiple places in Nevada with no problems.
Great! I'm in the Black Hills right now, heading to Colorado for a month in a couple weeks! Thanks for your feed back!
Sponsored