First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
BTDT. Between me and my father in law we towed my Samurai behind his RV in gear. Blew up the engine and put three holes in the block of my newly rebuilt engine.

Got it home and it actually started and drove into my garage.

Bought a used rebuilt engine for $300 and swapped it out myself. Darn thing ran better than the one we blew.

I got lucky.

Lesson learned.

TXSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Wait a minute ......... This thing was in 4-Low and 1st gear and the RV driver didn't feel the unGodly drag from the Jeep? I ain't buying it. Sorry.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Yes, this JLR suffered a lot of expensive damage; however, in the eyes of someone wanting to "build out" a hardcore off-roader, there's plenty of lemonade to be made here.

Damage to the engine? A hardcore off-roader might be looking to do a swap anyway.

Damage to the transmission? The 8L90 is a great choice if you're doing an engine swap anyway.

Damage to the transfer case? An Atlas II would be nice ...and upgrade the axles and drive shafts while you're at it.

For, again, a hardcore off-roader, this totaled hunk of junk is a discounted bargain waiting to meet its destiny.
Absolutely right! Maybe the owner wanted an excuse to give to his wife in order to build one up. :idea:

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Great can't wait for the owner to come and make his fist post on this forum about how FCA won't honor the drivetrain warranty and that the engine should never have blown up like that on a $50,000 vehicle.

Andras

First Name
Andras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL
There’s no way in hell that engine reach 15,000 RPM let alone 50,000 RPM
I find this story like to be fake. The jeep in 1st gear 4 lo would just lock up the wheels and skid, not turn the engine.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I find this story like to be fake. The jeep in 1st gear 4 lo would just lock up the wheels and skid, not turn the engine.
Even if it was in third or fourth gear it still would have caused that damage.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yes, this JLR suffered a lot of expensive damage; however, in the eyes of someone wanting to "build out" a hardcore off-roader, there's plenty of lemonade to be made here.

Damage to the engine? A hardcore off-roader might be looking to do a swap anyway.

Damage to the transmission? The 8L90 is a great choice if you're doing an engine swap anyway.

Damage to the transfer case? An Atlas II would be nice ...and upgrade the axles and drive shafts while you're at it.

For, again, a hardcore off-roader, this totaled hunk of junk is a discounted bargain waiting to meet its destiny.
What about brain damage?
Sponsored