Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly! We didn't walk into ours thinking about resale down the road. We BOUGHT a JEEP. It is what it is. We have loved our TJ, and now we own a JL. So be it. We're going to ride this beast for what it's worth! :)
LIKE LIKE AND SUPER LIKE. This is the mentality we have as well!!!!! Resale?? Not for a looooong time. We didn't get this thing as an investment, I'm not retiring on it. Heck we will NEVER get the money back out of it that we are putting in to build it... lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
Hype the JL on every forum and never let them go. If we all agree to not put them up for sale for the next few years we can drive the value up.

StingrayJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Wrangler Rubicon
IMO the JL will hold its value overall. What I see taking a big hit on depreciation is the high option vehicles. Like most other cars the ultimate value will come from year, make, model and trim the vehicle is.

The used market doesnā€™t take into effect that the JLUR has a $20k price gap. The used market will see it as a JLUR. Yes, the leather and paint match stuff helps a little but a few years down the road you wonā€™t see two Rubicons $20k apart with same year and mileage.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Anvil
Everything you see will be anecdotal, at best... as is what I'm about to say.

Because of the deep discounts on new JLs, it will be hard to SELL a JL for close to what you paid. I know *I* would prefer to buy a brand new vehicle if the price difference is only a couple thousand dollars. I ran into this exactly when looking at Tacomas in the past... if it's less than 5 years old, the resell price is so close to a NEW vehicle that it's hard to want to buy used. That being said, people were apparently selling them used because that price was inflexible. I think the x-factor right now is saturation... new Jeep sales tend to come from previous Jeep owners, so there are a LOT of brand new Jeeps out there now, and a lot of those that are selling end up putting a lot of used Jeeps on the market as well. How many Wranglers will your local market bear?

The Wrangler is a popular vehicle, it WILL hold significant value. The only strain will be on how much competition you have for selling yours off, and how quickly you need to sell.

One last thought... I believe Jeep is pushing hard to get a lot of these new models out into the market, offering very appealing lease terms or discounts so that they can easily get some back in a couple of years to pad the market for refurbished. I don't know how it all works well enough to understand the absolute reasoning, but I think its all marketing to saturate and build brand. This may (or may not) affect resale value in 2-3 years.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Bought a new 2005 TJ ULR (the stretched 2 door) with dual tops for $25,000 back in 05. Sold it in 2015 for $20,500 and I sold the top separately for another $500.

JP18

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Bought a new 2005 TJ ULR (the stretched 2 door) with dual tops for $25,000 back in 05. Sold it in 2015 for $20,500 and I sold the top separately for another $500.

JP18
Yeah, but the LJ (designation for the TJ Unlimited) was a really special vehicle. Very high demand, they're fast on the way to CJ-8 prices. JL's dont have any variants that unique...

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I see the 2 door holding value better than the four doors. There are many less of them and for some reason I think the fact they donā€™t make a 2 door Sahara is an omen to itā€™s future. Not soon, but eventually. JMHO

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
I've never been one to buy for the resale value, but if that's one's approach, just take some consideration in what a future buyer will want, and for that matter, who will the target buyers be. Things like color (base colors vs trend colors), the engine configuration (will future buyers want the V6, or will the 2.0T have proven itself long term by then), and transmission will be the larger factors affecting actual residual value. A 6MT will be highly desirable for some enthusiasts, who will find them less available than the 8AT, so you can charge a small premium for that assuming the rest of it is ok. But, you'll cast a wider net if yours has the 8AT.

But all of the above are just risk mitigations and don't guarantee the elimination of risk. So it could hold its value well, or it could plummet for any reason unknown to us.

One thing that typically holds true is that the most basic version of a particular model will hold its value better than an optioned version. Again, that depends on how you option it, but generally you get less for your options (as a percentage of the total) than what you paid for them when new. YMMV.

Anyhow, it's useless to worry about something you can't control.

If depreciation is a big concern, one can always lease.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
The one option that I'm curious about how it will affect resale value is the Sky Top. The minimum MSRP to get a Wrangler with an automatic transmission and the Sky Top is $46k. And its one of the few options that can't be added later (at least without raiding junk yards). Will this feature hold the overall vehicle's value more, or will it depreciate as fast as any other expensive and unnecessary feature?

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yeah, but the LJ (designation for the TJ Unlimited) was a really special vehicle. Very high demand, they're fast on the way to CJ-8 prices. JL's dont have any variants that unique...
It was not a high demand vehicle when I bought it (the LJUR), though! I had a number of friends that all had LJ and we got serious bargains on them.

I don't know when they became a hot commodity - all I know is that all of a sudden, I was getting unsolicited offers for it!

JP18

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was not a high demand vehicle when I bought it (the LJUR), though! I had a number of friends that all had LJ and we got serious bargains on them.

I don't know when they became a hot commodity - all I know is that all of a sudden, I was getting unsolicited offers for it!

JP18
Had a guy stop me on a trail and offer me $1000 for my LJ hard top. I think the reason they are in demand now is because...
They are unique.
They were only made for 3 years.
You can put 2" lifts on them without dealing with drive train vibration issues (SYE, double Cardan shafts, etc.)
They are the best of both worlds... a two door with extended length. Bigger than a 2 door/smaller than a 4 door makes them a great trail vehicle.
The holy grail is the Saharacon; a Rubi badged out with Sahara features. Not many of them around, I've only ever seen one out and about.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Had a guy stop me on a trail and offer me $1000 for my LJ hard top. I think the reason they are in demand now is because...
They are unique.
They were only made for 3 years.
You can put 2" lifts on them without dealing with drive train vibration issues (SYE, double Cardan shafts, etc.)
They are the best of both worlds... a two door with extended length. Bigger than a 2 door/smaller than a 4 door makes them a great trail vehicle.
The holy grail is the Saharacon; a Rubi badged out with Sahara features. Not many of them around, I've only ever seen one out and about.
AND if they aren't rusted like most TJs are :crying:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It was a "special" edition to promote the movie Sahara, not to be confused with the normal Sahara trim.

"Trim differences over the standard Rubicon include chrome grille, color matched flares, khaki hard top or soft top, as well as optional dual khaki tops, Graphite Moab wheels, a Sahara spare tire cover, upgraded two-tone premium seats, Sahara decals, taillight guards, and a numbered dash badge."

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On the TJ forum some guy found a dealer selling what you could pretty much call a barn find. It was a 2006 Shara LJ with like 1,800 miles on it. Dual tops and the soft top was still in the box in the cargo area. They wanted like $30k or $32k for it. Um, yeah, no, not gonna happen.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37ā€™s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
It was a "special" edition to promote the movie Sahara, not to be confused with the normal Sahara trim.

"Trim differences over the standard Rubicon include chrome grille, color matched flares, khaki hard top or soft top, as well as optional dual khaki tops, Graphite Moab wheels, a Sahara spare tire cover, upgraded two-tone premium seats, Sahara decals, taillight guards, and a numbered dash badge."
You mean a Rubihara? I know two people that have them. Khaki LJ Rubicon with Sahara paint/seats
Sponsored