First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15AEVJKUR
Occupation
Physical Therapist
If we're being completely honest, the new and old axles are decently adequate to handle their designed demands up to the WOAH OVERSIZED stock upgrade option 32's. 99% of trails the 32's have adequate clearance for, the tubes will take all day 7 days a week as long as you're not hitting obstacles with overzealous speed. We all wish the Jeep came with axles that are off-the-showroom-floor-ready to slap on our 37's and run over the beloved FIAT while doing 80. But that will only happen in our wet Jeep dreams, and this Jeep is just like every other Jeep since the beginning of time... IT WILL need upgraded axles to make it bulletproof with anything over 32's.

BUT @SCREAMER I feel your pain with dumping too much $$$ into buying an off-the-lot built model. Ask me how well that "FULL WARRANTY" really comes through on my $70k AEV... still break parts on that damn thing at least 3 times a year, which I always have to end up just replacing myself.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Since @SCREAMER was taking a dump allover the new JL/JLU platform, he took a shot at the new 8 speed transmission and called it a turd as well. Has FCA used this transmission in any other vehicles?
Currently I think the only ones with the GenII are the Giulia and Stelvio for the Euro 8HP50 and then the US built 850RE destined for the Wrangler is already in the 2018 Durango and 2018 Grand Cherokee (possibly the 2018 Challenger/Charger too), definitely the Giulia for the 8HP75 coming in the JL diesel (RAM is still 8HP70 until the coming refresh next year IIRC).

Brand0n

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15AEVJKUR
Occupation
Physical Therapist
BUT I share your skepticism with the new tranny, especially with the occasional issues I've already had with mine in the JK.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Look up ZF 8 speed or Chrysler ZF transmission problems. You’ll find more dump than you can handle. I’m sure the others will have info on how this will be a different ZF transmission in the JL too.
You can find that when you look up any transmission problems. It is the internet. It is the place where people gripe and moan, Kinda like you do, often about things they don't know much about.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BUT I share your skepticism with the new tranny, especially with the occasional issues I've already had with mine in the JK.
Uh, oh. Screamer, that would be YOUR transmission in the Recon! It must be a turd. :asshat: I know because I saw it on the internet. I didn't even have to search, like I would for the ZF. It came right to us!

Sponsored

OP
OP

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
You’ll also find more than enough people getting butt hurt and defensive, kinda like you do, often about things they do know about yet decide to ignore. The ZF transmission had several recalls and many were replaced under warranty only to exhibit the same problems. Multiple software updates and production delays didn’t help FCA get it right and they still continue to give owners problems. Yeah you can find complaints about everything on the internet. The ZF transmission just has more complaints than the average, a lot more.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
You’ll also find more than enough people getting butt hurt and defensive, kinda like you do, often about things they do know about yet decide to ignore. The ZF transmission had several recalls and many were replaced under warranty only to exhibit the same problems. Multiple software updates and production delays didn’t help FCA get it right and they still continue to give owners problems. Yeah you can find complaints about everything on the internet. The ZF transmission just has more complaints than the average, a lot more.
Do you not think that FCA would have improved the transmission by now for the Wrangler or is it hopelessly broken?

OP
OP

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
Uh, oh. Screamer, that would be YOUR transmission in the Recon! It must be a turd. :asshat: I know because I saw it on the internet. I didn't even have to search, like I would for the ZF. It came right to us!
Wrong again, no surprise there. I ordered mine with a manual transmission. Keep assuming and putting words in my mouth. It’s working great so far.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My JK has had about 4 recalls in the last decade, but none bothered me in the slightest. Sorry to disappoint you. I know you'll lose sleep at night now that you know the transmission in your Recon is suspect. I feel terribly about how that must feel.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
Do you not think that FCA would have improved the transmission by now for the Wrangler or is it hopelessly broken?
I would very much hope so. They have tried for at least three years now with no success. I think they are overly optimistic and didn’t want to R&D an all new trans.

OP
OP

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
Well, I've heard the JK MT sucked and was a lifeless turd to drive so... there's that.
It is when paired to numerically low gearing and the 3.8. With my 4.10s and the 3.6 it’s right at home pushing 35s with ease.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It is when paired to numerically low gearing and the 3.8. With my 4.10s and the 3.6 it’s right at home pushing 35s with ease.
And yet the crawl ratio of the ZF8 + 3.73 axles is better than your NSG370 + 4.10 , and additionally the JL engines have better torque curves for all 3 option than the older Pentastar. JL trumps the JK in both those areas, and you can still get the 4.10 axles anyways and go even further beyond the JK.

SOoo... again... 2018 > 2017, it’s just math. :idea:

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
So the “Colorado axle in the new Jeep” myth is debunked, now we have to listen about the transmission?

movinggoalpost.gif
Sponsored