Sponsored

JL Rubi - driving at highway speed on snow/ice/wet with 4H

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I remember a time driving out of jackson hole and into abig blizzard. iwas drivinga suburban 2500 an older one maybe 89 or so It was snowing very heavily. Iwas in 4 wheel drive the whole way . You couldn't see far enough to go over 35 or 40. snow was 6 inches deep unplowed and I was cutting tracks . wipers could keep up withthe snow and would fill up with snow evey mile so had to stop at every underpassand wipe the snow off. There is no way youcould drive 70 in those conditions. I am pretty sure that suburban had a regular 4 wheel drive unit that you had to shift into 4 hi to be in 4wheel drive. That truck was a beast !
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Full time 4x4 (aka Selec-Trac for Jeeps)...Although power is being applied to the front and rear (not entirely equally but close enough 40%/60% ish) it does still allow for each axle, and all 4 wheels to turn independent of one another at different speeds. Binding is not an issue, and the drive line will be much happier.
Actually the owner's manual states that in 4H Auto power is sent to the rear wheels and only sends power to front axle when needed. So this may work differently than other AWD systems.

For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can
be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the
vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel drive
will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a
loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this
mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD
mode.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Could the Bimmer dudes from California go help out on the "How best to mount your surfboard with the roof off" thread instead?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
naw those dudes aint here> "Daves not here man!"

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I'm jumping into this conversation, sadly, not because I have anything useful to add, but because the realization that I can't get a manual with selectrac has thrown out all my previous decision making, and I'm interested in opinions.

I'm buying a JLU to replace by beloved daily driver 2005 LJ, which will be getting some body work and mods for weekend fun. I love a manual transmission, and had made the decision that Sahara, manual, with selectrac made the most sense for life in the snow belt, where in the same day I can encounter dry pavement, significant snow drifts, and freezing rain.

I'm interested in honest opinion, and what choices you are making for similar driving conditions. I had previously figured that this vehicle will likely be the last that I can own with a manual transmission, so I'm pretty married to that choice...

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm interested in honest opinion, and what choices you are making for similar driving conditions. I had previously figured that this vehicle will likely be the last that I can own with a manual transmission, so I'm pretty married to that choice...
My honest opinion is that you're overthinking it. All the front wheel drive minivan owners are somehow surviving in the snow.

Get the right tires, drive slowly when conditions demand it, and use 4H or 4L if you get stuck. SelectTrac is nice technology, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. (I have automatic 4WD available in my 2016 Yukon, and I've hardly ever turned it on. I stay in 2WD for the most part, even in snow or variable conditions.) SelecTrac will not keep you out of the ditch if it gives you a false sense of security that causes you to drive too fast for conditions.

And before this extremely dead horse starts getting beaten :punch:, again, note above where I say "SelectTrac is nice technology!" But if it isn't available (manual, Sport, or Rubi) it shouldn't be a dealbreaker in my HUMBLE opinion.

Drive the Jeep that is going to make you smile, I say.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm jumping into this conversation, sadly, not because I have anything useful to add, but because the realization that I can't get a manual with selectrac has thrown out all my previous decision making, and I'm interested in opinions.

I'm buying a JLU to replace by beloved daily driver 2005 LJ, which will be getting some body work and mods for weekend fun. I love a manual transmission, and had made the decision that Sahara, manual, with selectrac made the most sense for life in the snow belt, where in the same day I can encounter dry pavement, significant snow drifts, and freezing rain.

You mean other than a Wrangler?

Just order the auto trans and drive it using "AutoStick" mode.

The new 6 speed manual is unproven. Isn't Jeep having issues with the JL clutch which is delaying manual production models? I wouldn't want one of the first manuals off the production line.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
SelecTrac will not keep you out of the ditch if it gives you a false sense of security that causes you to drive too fast for conditions.

And before this extremely dead horse starts getting beaten :punch:, again, note above where I say "SelectTrac is nice technology!" But if it isn't available (manual, Sport, or Rubi) it shouldn't be a dealbreaker in my HUMBLE opinion.

Drive the Jeep that is going to make you smile, I say.
...and how many years has Wrangler been available without Selec-Trac?

Jeep now introduces Selec-Trac to the Wrangler and somehow a traditional TC is no longer viable for snow conditions?

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
...and how many years has Wrangler been available without Selec-Trac?

Jeep now introduces Selec-Trac to the Wrangler and somehow a traditional TC is no longer viable for snow conditions?
A valid point. Both regarding the fact that I'm overthinking, AND that I've been driving the traditional TC for 13 years.

In all honestly, Selectrac made the Sahara vs. Rubicon decision an easy one for me. Now, I'm struggling, and hating the introduction of the uncertainty and opportunity for overthinking...

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

My thoughts are that you can compensate for a lack of full-time 4WD by getting really good winter tires. You still have part-time if you need it.

Also the Selectrac they're offering now in the Sahara is not of the mechanical always on variety, but one of those computerized sensing slippage types, so that's a disappointment.

I also want the larger 33s on the Rubi with hi-line fenders, and frankly, I really want the Rubicon sticker across the hood.

Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

maxmk8

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Pooper
Could the Bimmer dudes from California go help out on the "How best to mount your surfboard with the roof off" thread instead?
We can do that right after you tape yourself going 70mph in a blizzard.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Let's put it this way: Anything where you can go 75mph in the snow doesn't need 4wd. I drove my front wheel drive minivan in a blizzard that had 18 wheelers spun out left and right (literally), and had nary a problem. My old LJ had an Aussie locker in the front axle and I drove it as a 2wd vehicle through blizzards because it didn't behave well in 4wd on pavement. Once -- *once* -- did I need to move the selector to 4 hi, and that was because we were heading at slow speed up a steep ice-covered gravel road and I felt a slip from the rear end. But that was at 5mph, not 75mph. And I slipped it right back to 2wd once we got to the top of the slope.

Would a Subaru have handled that more elegantly? Sure. But the reality is that 4wd is overrated for ice and snow. The only time it helps is when you're at slow speed. At high speed it just helps you slide off the road faster -- yeah, there was lots of 4wd SUV's slid off the road last time I trucked on by in a blizzard in my front wheel drive minivan too. Because they somehow thought having 4wd would keep their vehicle on the road in ice and snow. It won't.

NEO Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Why buy a Wrangler that you cannot get to have all the wheels to apply power to the ground? At best Sahara will power 3 if you order the anti-slip diff in the rear axle, without that you get a pair of open spool gears in the diff and have one wheel on each axle applying power.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Why buy a Wrangler that you cannot get to have all the wheels to apply power to the ground? At best Sahara will power 3 if you order the anti-slip diff in the rear axle, without that you get a pair of open spool gears in the diff and have one wheel on each axle applying power.
The Sahara has traction control, which works pretty darn well. My diffs are open in my JK when in 4HI (I have the stock Rubicon electric lockers), I've never had an instance where I had trouble getting traction -- if a wheel starts spinning, the brakes kick in on that side to stop it, and power goes out the other wheel. My guess is that the JL's lockers are similar to the JK's lockers, because that simplifies things compared to also incorporating a limited-slip differential into lockers, and a LSD simply isn't that useful with modern traction control unless you're talking about a performance car where you don't want power lost to braking at startup.
Sponsored