JL Rubi - driving at highway speed on snow/ice/wet with 4H

House

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandRover, Subaru
Hello all, new to the forum; not new to Jeep. I've owned a JKU Rubi several years back, but mostly we've owned LandRovers and now Subaru. I understand that the Rubi doesn't have SelecTrac and I know I could drop into 4H on snow/ice for in-town or neighborhood driving, but what about highway speeds? I know you have to drop below 45mph to change from 2H to 4H but what's the top cruising speed for 4H on wet, slippery roads? I know it's verboten to drive at higher speeds in 4H on dry pavement. I'm just used to full time AWD on my LandRovers and Subaru.

Likely won't be buying one until later in the year. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In a full time 4x4 system I would say if you can go over 45-55mph do you really need to even be in full time 4x4 at that point anymore? Most conditions you may find yourself needing 4x4 Hi I would think would be far too dangerous to consider going over 45-55mph max.

I have done a lot of snow and ice driving the last few days here in VA (which is a lot for us, road crews cant handle and are not prepared for the amount we got out here) so my 4-Hi on the fly has been getting a work out as of late. Once I hit 35mph I throw it back into 2WD regardless of conditions...because if the conditions absolutely require me to stay in 4-Hi...im not going over 35mph anyways.

Highway speed is not an option for me personally if the conditions are such that it warrants the need for full time 4x4

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I've been at 75-85mph in 4 Hi on dirt in my JKU and it was fine.

OP
OP
House

House

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandRover, Subaru
In a full time 4x4 system I would say if you can go over 45-55mph do you really need to even be in full time 4x4 at that point anymore? Most conditions you may find yourself needing 4x4 Hi I would think would be far too dangerous to consider going over 45-55mph max.

I have done a lot of snow and ice driving the last few days here in VA (which is a lot for us, road crews cant handle and are not prepared for the amount we got out here) so my 4-Hi on the fly has been getting a work out as of late. Once I hit 35mph I throw it back into 2WD regardless of conditions...because if the conditions absolutely require me to stay in 4-Hi...im not going over 35mph anyways.
I'm a novice but I'd tend to disagree. Having all wheels powered on slippery highway speeds seems crucial. I think that's why Subaru, LandRover and others choose to have full time AWD. I just like the peace of mind knowing that if I'm on a slippery surface then the truck is sensing which wheels are slipping and sending that power to wheels that still have traction.....all the time.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm a novice but I'd tend to disagree. Having all wheels powered on slippery highway speeds seems crucial. I think that's why Subaru, LandRover and others choose to have full time AWD. I just like the peace of mind knowing that if I'm on a slippery surface then the truck is sensing which wheels are slipping and sending that power to wheels that still have traction.....all the time.
If you're a novice why would you drive at highway speeds on a slippery surface?

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats kind of what I am thinking...if you NEED 4x4 because the highway is slippery enough to warrant it....how about you slow yo butt down lol

4x4 is useful for getting you moving and up to speed (whatever safe speed that is)...it helps you nada when you need to slow the :swear: down!

OP
OP
House

House

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandRover, Subaru
I meant novice at knowing how the 4WD system on the new Jeep works. I've driven on plenty of snowy icy roads at highway speeds MANY times in Colorado, here in NY and Maine. I'll admit the first few times coming down I-70 from skiing in the mountains was a bit unnerving. But 2 decades later and lots of snow driving experience and I don't think about it anymore. Bottom line....I just like having AWD all the time.

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I meant novice at knowing how the 4WD system on the new Jeep works. I've driven on plenty of snowy icy roads at highway speeds MANY times in Colorado, here in NY and Maine. I'll admit the first few times coming down I-70 from skiing in the mountains was a bit unnerving. But 2 decades later and lots of snow driving experience and I don't think about it anymore. Bottom line....I just like having AWD all the time.
Then in that case, you may want to consider a Sport/Sahara with the Select-Trac option. If its something you may find the need to do often, I would not subject a full time Wrangler 4x4 system to consistent higher speed use like that and would go for the Selec-Trac because its designed for that. Just my opinion of course.

I would guess this is the whole reason you asked the question in the first place though, comparison "to Rubi or not to Rubi"

Edit: sorry i mixed words, full time is not the typical wrangler system...it is part time 4x4, full time is the Selec-Trac.

OP
OP
House

House

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandRover, Subaru
Then in that case, you may want to consider a Sport/Sahara with the Select-Trac option. If its something you may find the need to do often, I would not subject a full time Wrangler 4x4 system to consistent higher speed use like that and would go for the Selec-Trac because its designed for that. Just my opinion of course.

I would guess this is the whole reason you asked the question in the first place though, comparison "to Rubi or not to Rubi"
I think what I'll likely due is save the Rubi for just offroading and use our LR or Subaru for regular driving. I just don't care for the Sahara model at all.

Thank you to everyone here for your input.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The difference is you'll now be driving a vehicle with a much higher center of gravity. Speed kills. 2wd with good tires is all I ever use. If I need 4wd I need to slow down.

OP
OP
House

House

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandRover, Subaru
The difference is you'll now be driving a vehicle with a much higher center of gravity. Speed kills. 2wd with good tires is all I ever use. If I need 4wd I need to slow down.
My Defender and my Disco both have high centers of gravity and I drive them at highway speeds on wet/snowy roads all the time. Anyone who owns a LandRover does this routinely (whether RangeRover, Disco, Defender, LR3, LR4); they're all full time.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My Defender and my Disco both have high centers of gravity and I drive them at highway speeds on wet/snowy roads all the time. Anyone who owns a LandRover does this routinely (whether RangeRover, Disco, Defender, LR3, LR4); they're all full time.
And a fair amount of them end up in the ditch.
Sponsored