JL Rotopax Mount - "Adventure Caddie"

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Killing it. Keep it up. My wheels have similar backspacing (-6 offset). This is looking great.

Advertisement

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
northernadventuresystems.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Killing it. Keep it up. My wheels have similar backspacing (-6 offset). This is looking great.
Thanks. Hoping to get the unit out and testing finished in the next 2-3 months. The pre production unit should be ready this week, if not early next week too!

And if anyone has any other things they would carry other than rotopax (shovels or whatever), let me know and I can add more mounting locations to accommodate other things than just rotopax.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR White | 2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
With two auxiliary brackets, it would work perfectly (one for each Jeep). That's what they're intended to do. They hold all the auxiliary equipment (license plate, camera and brake light) so they can be easily swapped from the Caddie to spare tire when the Caddie is removed. I'd be happy to provide a second bracket at no cost for your setup if you decide to go that route.

Either way, I will check with the stock tire and backspacing once the production prototype is done.
Thank you for the offer for the second bracket but that would still be more than I am looking for. I am looking for a mount for Rotopax, no need or wanting to relocate anything else. Will wait to see the final product and fitment with stock camera.

Thanks for all your work on this!

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Have you given any thought to adding any extra holes to the caddy to accommodate mounting MaxTrax on one side and Fuel on the other? its a nice option if you know you might need them for the day, but can be OK with just 2 gallons of fuel

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Have you given any thought to adding any extra holes to the caddy to accommodate mounting MaxTrax on one side and Fuel on the other? its a nice option if you know you might need them for the day, but can be OK with just 2 gallons of fuel
Same. I would love to have the ability to put traction boards on the back instead of water/fuel if I know I don’t need both. This carrier is looking better and better!

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Same. I would love to have the ability to put traction boards on the back instead of water/fuel if I know I don’t need both. This carrier is looking better and better!
Have you given any thought to adding any extra holes to the caddy to accommodate mounting MaxTrax
I don't use maxtrax, but I could see this as a possibility (when you don't carry rotopax, you can carry maxtrax or 2 maxtrax and one rotopax.

On first look, it appears that carrier could accommodate it with some work. Something like this?

Capture Max2.PNG

CaptureMax.PNG

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Definitely. In most cases, I'd be running 1 fuel can, 1 pair of Traction boards. if I needed two fuel cans I'd need to find another solution for the boards which is fine, but it would be nice and clean to be able to mount both. Good look

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I don't use maxtrax, but I could see this as a possibility (when you don't carry rotopax, you can carry maxtrax or 2 maxtrax and one rotopax.

On first look, it appears that carrier could accommodate it with some work. Something like this?

Capture Max2.PNG

CaptureMax.PNG
That's exactly what I had imagined. Nailed it.

dpike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
i think maybe rather than trying to incorporate additional items into the base system it might be easier to add modules. so maybe have bolt on expansion points available, then have a module for nato cans, high lift, recovery boards and stuff like that.

is the "face" of the carrier open in the back where it could be easily drilled and accessed thru the back for bolts and other hardware ?

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
i think maybe rather than trying to incorporate additional items into the base system it might be easier to add modules. so maybe have bolt on expansion points available, then have a module for nato cans, high lift, recovery boards and stuff like that.
Yeah, modules is best. For the maxtrax its not that hard, see below. The back is only open where mounting locations are, but that can be changed when new capabilities are added (like NATO cans for example).

Definitely. In most cases, I'd be running 1 fuel can, 1 pair of Traction boards. if I needed two fuel cans I'd need to find another solution for the boards which is fine, but it would be nice and clean to be able to mount both. Good look
That's exactly what I had imagined. Nailed it.
So yeah, that is 100% possible. The thing is the maxtrax hangs of the side about 3" with no where to connect in order to retain the license plate, brake light and camera options.. see picture.
A1.PNG

Fortunately the frame of the caddie has two openings on the top and bottom of the frame at the ends which would allow a bracket to slip in and bolt down to the side of the caddie so the maxtrax would be supported and have the required second mounting point. (in green without mount holes atm). I would need to verify clearance with the brake lights when the tailgate opens for stock wheels, tires and carrier. Aftermarket pushes the tire out, so that's a non issue.

A2.PNG

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

is the "face" of the carrier open in the back where it could be easily drilled and accessed thru the back for bolts and other hardware ?
I'd think a weight limit is something to co
Yeah, modules is best. For the maxtrax its not that hard, see below. The back is only open where mounting locations are, but that can be changed when new capabilities are added (like NATO cans for example).

So yeah, that is 100% possible. The thing is the maxtrax hangs of the side about 3" with no where to connect in order to retain the license plate, brake light and camera options.. see picture.
A1.PNG

Fortunately the frame of the caddie has two openings on the top and bottom of the frame at the ends which would allow a bracket to slip in and bolt down to the side of the caddie so the maxtrax would be supported and have the required second mounting point. (in green without mount holes atm). I would need to verify clearance with the brake lights when the tailgate opens for stock wheels, tires and carrier. Aftermarket pushes the tire out, so that's a non issue.

A2.PNG
Makes sense and that's fine. I'm not sure what sort of attachments are out there for it that would work. I'll see what I can find or maybe some other folks here know

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Yup. That work. Hanging off the side of the main plate is not as concerning as it being securely attached
That could be incorporated quite easily then. What do most people use to connect maxtrax to the vehicle? The MKII Mounting Pins?

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
That could be incorporated quite easily then. What do most people use to connect maxtrax to the vehicle? The MKII Mounting Pins?
That is a common way and seem best way for this situation. Solid mount structure. Those MKIIs can be locked which some people like

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement