OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
northernadventuresystems.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Looking good. What size rotopax are those?

Next time your testing can you snap a pic showing the clearance to the passenger side tail light with the tailgate open fully?
These are 2 gallon rotopax. I certainly can when I get the opportunity. I wish i could bring them in closer but that would really complicate removing them (license plate in the way).

Advertisement

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Got out for some more testing today. Few improvements to make, hoping for an April release.

157948778_1824261017740897_8849324404054097823_n.jpg
Too late for my Easter jeep safari trip but will for sure bu in my future travel plans. From this image I’m sure my trasharoo will work as well. Great work!

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Too late for my Easter jeep safari trip but will for sure bu in my future travel plans. From this image I’m sure my trasharoo will work as well. Great work!
There is probably enough room to hang it from the license plate bracket. I was wondering that myself, I don't use one but I know others do so compatibility would be nice.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
There is probably enough room to hang it from the license plate bracket. I was wondering that myself, I don't use one but I know others do so compatibility would be nice.
Initially I would just want/need the dual rotopax mount and third brake light as my relocation of the third brake light will be occluded with your mount and I have no need (yet) for a license plate relocate. As for the backup camera, if it’s covered and not usable I’m ok with that, with a 2 door it’s pretty easy to look over your shoulder 😉

F38CA65B-CA3B-4475-9962-A01EF362320B.jpeg

F34CD28C-4762-4E22-8BAA-8F4CD8183CC0.jpeg

sjl136

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘90 YJ, ‘18 JLUR 6MT
These are 2 gallon rotopax. I certainly can when I get the opportunity. I wish i could bring them in closer but that would really complicate removing them (license plate in the way).
Count me as a user that wouldn't mount my license plate, but would still use all the other features. If the plate isn't there, I'm wondering if I could drill out new sets of holes to bring the RotoPax/ traction board mounts inward? There might still be enough clearance in the back to get a wrench in to tighten the RotoPax mounts. Next question would be is there enough to gain by moving the mounts inward that the carrier itself becomes wider than the RotoPax, limiting any potential gains? For now, definitely curious to see how that RotoPax interacts with the tail light as the tail gate opens.

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Count me as a user that wouldn't mount my license plate, but would still use all the other features. If the plate isn't there, I'm wondering if I could drill out new sets of holes to bring the RotoPax/ traction board mounts inward? There might still be enough clearance in the back to get a wrench in to tighten the RotoPax mounts. Next question would be is there enough to gain by moving the mounts inward that the carrier itself becomes wider than the RotoPax, limiting any potential gains? For now, definitely curious to see how that RotoPax interacts with the tail light as the tail gate opens.
In the case that there are multiple people interested without the license plate, I will be adding more mounting options inset towards the centre. I will also need to offer a camera relocation without license plate option for that SKU. That all works out well, because you can always upgrade to the license plate bracket in the future if needed.

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
So the license plate stuff got me thinking. Why not design a feature that would allow me to center the mounting location like other manufactures.

I access my rotopax daily on trips, because they carry potable water, so obviously removing the license plate every time isn't an option. I came up with a mount that can rotate the plate out of the way. Not shown is the hardware or mounting plate which I am keeping to myself until I release the product. It is a tool free operation, however. Video below shows what I mean.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
So the license plate stuff got me thinking. Why not design a feature that would allow me to center the mounting location like other manufactures.

I access my rotopax daily on trips, because they carry potable water, so obviously removing the license plate every time isn't an option. I came up with a mount that can rotate the plate out of the way. Not shown is the hardware or mounting plate which I am keeping to myself until I release the product. It is a tool free operation, however. Video below shows what I mean.

very cool design!

Jorginho 113

First Name
Jorginho
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 6-Speed
1614330144331.png

Here is the actual plate that design I landed on. Throughout this entire process I have been trying to keep this as light as possible while keeping it extremely though and robust. I weighed the caddie today, it was 7lbs (yeah, its light lol). I was contemplating making this bracket out of steel as opposed to aluminum, but that would make it heavier than the entire caddie. I am going to try a test with the same material as the caddie for the this bracket and see how it goes.

And here is two more mockups (both loadouts) with a 3rd brake light as I know some of you had questions where and how that mounted. The bracket for the traction boards is setup to carry maxtrax, tred (using maxtrax mounting locations) and rototrax. Still height adjustable for those of you that don't want to compromise clearance on the rocks.

1614330631098.png

1614330602293.png
is the mount going to be compatible for 2 boards only or possibility for 4? Do you have an ETA on when they will be available, design looks amazing!!

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
is the mount going to be compatible for 2 boards only or possibility for 4? Do you have an ETA on when they will be available, design looks amazing!!
I would have to test with 4 for strength, but it it can fit them. 4 maxtrax weigh almost double that of a full rotopax, for example.

Jorginho 113

First Name
Jorginho
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 6-Speed
I would have to test with 4 for strength, but it it can fit them. 4 maxtrax weigh almost double that of a full rotopax, for example.
You may be right, may settle for a 2 board on mount and 2 boards inside as a backup. Cant wait to get this when available, thanks for reply and keep on rocking!

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Here are some updates to the main carrier after more testing.

1. Reduced the thickness of the overall unit to bring the accessories closer to the tire to better work with the stock camera position and stock tire setup (this should hopefully allow the use of the stock camera location for those setups).
2. Added new mounting holes closer to the centre per my above post.
3. Added 3 internal gussets for strength around the mounting location.
4. New founder 15 badge location ;)

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

eder214

First Name
Eder
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just found this thread and I be honest this is what I been looking for. The reason I have not change my OEM steel rear bumper was that I didn't like any of the relocation options available. This does that and more. You mention that the license plate would have a light, but base on your preproduction pictures I didn't see the light for the license plate. Do you have any picture on how the license plate light and 3rd brake light would look at night?

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
I just found this thread and I be honest this is what I been looking for. The reason I have not change my OEM steel rear bumper was that I didn't like any of the relocation options available. This does that and more. You mention that the license plate would have a light, but base on your preproduction pictures I didn't see the light for the license plate. Do you have any picture on how the license plate light and 3rd brake light would look at night?
I won't be providing a license plate light at release, but it will be compatible with bolt lights or something like the poison spyder offering. The reason for this is because not every area requires a light and offering it would increase complexity of production and part procurement for me. Here is an example of bolt lights which are really common and I may consider offering.
1615485600830.png

I don't have any pictures at night (yet), but the third brakelight gets relocated from the stock position and would appear basically the same way as stock. Here is an example of the bolt lights at night.

1615485662559.png

OP
boehml

boehml

Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Alright, getting closer now! Will testing the new "slimmer" design this weekend hopefully, just waiting for the stuff to come back from laser. I have also finished the rough design on the quick release license plate swivel. Here are some pictures for some better understanding how it works.

Simple pull of the spring loaded handle and the license plate will rotate out of the way to access rotopax or traction boards. Hidden, but easily accessed. I considered just welding a bolt and nut to the two pieces, but I decided against that for many reasons and ended up settling on this 3D printed internal part. Feedback always welcome, but I think this will greatly improve the product overall. Still trying to target April 1 pre-order launch for those of you patiently waiting.

Picture without the license plate. Bottom right is the unlocking device.
Capture3.PNG

Picture with license plate overlay.
Capture4.PNG

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement