David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Remember the site can say anything, but actually getting someone to pay it is another matter.
@COBill I could not agree more.

While I am not a dealer, I have bought and sold more vehicles that the average person. I tend to take excellent care of them, as therefore in most, if not all cases, my vehicles have always sold above KBB prices. This is why I am shocked at the value that KBB and other sites have listed for the Jeeps in general. That is not to say this isn't unrealistic, just not what I have experienced in the past.

I have also witnessed some crazy pricing on used MOABs on Craigslist. (again, you can ask anything-I get that) but for whatever reason the price ranges are beyond what I would consider normal. It seems to be on all models-not just the MOAB.

Frankly the market is all over the map. I recently sold 2, 1995 Sea Doo's for more than I originally paid for them and then continued to get increased offers even after they were gone!

Supply and demand. Have you seen lumber prices lately? I'm in CA and housing prices are also just stupid here. We are definitely headed for something....just not sure everyone is going to like the eventual outcome. Just my .02...whooops make that .05!
Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I put over $20,000 into my 2021 Wrangler customizing it and I'm absolutely loving it but I also am thinking about trading it in because I feel that I could get one he'll of a trade in on it and I want the 392. My Wrangler Unlimited is only 5 months old with 5,000 miles and I ordered it with every option. Only thing bothering me is giving up the 6 speed manual
Seems silly that you can't get a clutch with a 392 V8.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dodge Challenger offers a 6-speed manual with the 392 —and the Hellcat, alongside the same 8-speed automatic used on JL.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Dodge Challenger offers a 6-speed manual with the 392 —and the Hellcat
The Challenger’s TR-6060 has a tall 2.66 first gear to handle the torque. Less than ideal for Wrangler.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The Challenger’s TR-6060 has a tall 2.66 first gear to handle the torque. Less than ideal for Wrangler.
That's correct, and yet...since the 392 Wrangler arguably exists for bragging rights ĂĽber alles, it doesn't seem out of place to hamstring the gearing a bit in order to add the third pedal. Consider that buyers are already willing to pay >$75K for a Jeep with too much engine that is also electronically limited to 99 mph. "Ideal" is the girl that didn't get an invitation to this dance.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's correct, and yet...since the 392 Wrangler arguably exists for bragging rights ĂĽber alles, it doesn't seem out of place to hamstring the gearing a bit in order to add the third pedal. Consider that buyers are already willing to pay >$75K for a Jeep with too much engine that is also electronically limited to 99 mph. "Ideal" is the girl that didn't get an invitation to this dance.
They already had to hamstring the Rubicon’s gearing with the transfer case’s 2.72:1 low range and axles with the 3.73’s

2.66 first gear would be horrific off road.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
They already had to hamstring the Rubicon’s gearing with the transfer case’s 2.72:1 low range and axles with the 3.73’s

2.66 first gear would be horrific off road.
Yes. So, why the big stickers on the hood, when the Rube's low range is absent? Add the 6MT and finish what the 2.72:1 gearing started; the vehicle is just a Rubicon in name now.

"Off road" seems to be standing outside of the 392's wheelhouse, looking for a way in.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmmm, wasn't this thread about resale prices?

Just sayin' ;)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Ummmmm, wasn't this thread about resale prices?

Just sayin' ;)
What others are willing to pay for capability, real or imagined, affects everyone and is absolutely related to current and anticipated price trends. ;)

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Ok, so I ran my 2018 Sport S through Carvana just to see what all this fuss is about. It's not a lease and I have the title. I only have 18k miles on it, and I did note that it has a good amount of exterior scratches and the interior has been "well worn," shall we say lol

They gave me a quote for 33k

Wow. That's pretty close to what I paid for it over three years ago! I was expecting mid 20s at the most, certainly not over 30k.

Very tempting to sell and put a huge dent in my mortgage and drive a Corolla or something for a few years, but I have so many memories with this thing and I love going on adventures with it. I'm not gonna sell, but wow - I can see why people will be tempted if they check this out.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Good recap on the record jump in used car prices last month. Essentially a confluence of international trade tariffs; COVID driving people off of trains, busses and planes and into cars; rental car companies selling down their fleets in response to lower air travel; then stimulus checks and semiconductor issues fouling up production. Vaccines are now driving a rebound in air travel, and rental companies are scrambling to replenish their fleets with used cars. Bottom line: if you want to sell your Jeep, probably best to do so now. If you are in the market for a new one, patience will probably get you a better price in a few months. https://slate.com/business/2021/05/used-car-prices-shortage-supply-chain-semiconductors.html

Jeffmiller32

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2016 Mustang GT
This thread had me looking as well. Paid $36k for my 2019 JLU. Carvana offered me $38k. Owe about $15k since I had a lot of trade equity from my Ram. Very tempted to sell. I was work from home before the pandemic so I don’t drive a lot and have 2 cars. My other car is a 13 Boss 302 LS. Don’t want to daily that. Just not sure what I would get. It would be nice to not have a car payment and $23k would go a long way to buying something else.

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sahara, 2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Cruze Premier
2020 Rubicon JLU w/13K miles. Sticker 60,500, paid $55k. Vroom offered $45k which seems way off from what others have gotten here.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
2020 Rubicon JLU w/13K miles. Sticker 60,500, paid $55k. Vroom offered $45k which seems way off from what others have gotten here.
Interesting, it must be the mods and options, as I have the same rig with the same mileage and they were offering 54K this week for it.
Sponsored