JL rear view mirror kinda low?

scottb71

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hey all. anyone else with a JL Rubicon feel like the rear view mirror is kind of lower than "normal" on the windshield? I expected it to be higher. With the driver seat in the lowest position, the mirror creates a decent sized blind spot. I'm sure there are possible mods available but the mirror assembly includes the SOS, etc. buttons.

Thanks
Sponsored

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 4Runner V8, 2008 Z06, 2009 R1, 2015 Tenere
I had the same feeling until I lowered the seat then it was fine. I might still look into a way to move it higher though. I prefer mirrors to be up and out of the direct line of sight when driving.

OP
OP
scottb71

scottb71

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yep agree. Seat is lowered all the way down. Let me know if you come up with a way to modify it higher. It'll be tough because of the assembly and buttons. May need to just go with side mirrors!

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
ParkSense® Rear Park–Assist System
Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection is an option that would have helped. I'm glad I ordered it.

Sponsored

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
it is too low. Im a fairly short guy and the mirror can obstruct a whole car thats coming from the right at an intersection. I am constantly tilting my head down to look under that damn mirror. I don't have the SOS assembly, but it is non adjustable. Haven't futz'd with it yet, but it looks as if the only solution is a shorter post.

Its the one thing I don't like about my JL.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Had the same problem with my JK, was advised to flip it upside down which fixed the problem. Doubt you’ll be able to do that with a fancy pants electric one though....

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Agree completely. The JK's mounted to the windshield and was adjustable. The JL's drops down from the windshield frame and is fixed.

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
it's not adjustable in any way for height. I can see two way to fix. 1. A new dedicated JL mirror with the ball socket located at the far bottom edge of the mirror allowing the mirror to cover up most of the post. or 2. A new post. I haven't taken off any trim yet to see how this attaches. Hopefully, its a simple bolt on allowing a new shorter mirror post to be used.

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Lock it up boys, this issue is resolved....

I rotated the mirror 180 degrees and due to the offset ball mount, it is now much higher. My story goes like this;

Giving a good pull on the mirror stalk, I noticed that it moved a lil and was not as rigid as it would be if bolted. So out of my ager at this design issue, I gave it a good pull and POP!, out it came. Turns out, this is installed with a rotation and is held in place with a spring clip. SO with the mirror and stalk removed, I rotated the mirror 180 degrees and reinstalled.

Re-installation was a lil tricky. I spent about 10 mins trying to push the stalk back past that spring clip with no luck. Since the base is circular and the mount had a weird shape to it, I spun it 90 degrees and it went all the way in the hole (giggity) and rotating it back to its original position locked it in place. pics attached.
https://imgur.com/a/TastR

edit, I can't figure out how to post a pic from imgur so the link will have to do. srry.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I wanted to post them quick so they were right below your post. In the future you just need to right click the image, choose copy, then in your post, right click and choose paste or (CTRL +V) and they will be added to your post.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Lock it up boys, this issue is resolved....

I rotated the mirror 180 degrees and due to the offset ball mount, it is now much higher. My story goes like this;

Giving a good pull on the mirror stalk, I noticed that it moved a lil and was not as rigid as it would be if bolted. So out of my ager at this design issue, I gave it a good pull and POP!, out it came. Turns out, this is installed with a rotation and is held in place with a spring clip. SO with the mirror and stalk removed, I rotated the mirror 180 degrees and reinstalled.

Re-installation was a lil tricky. I spent about 10 mins trying to push the stalk back past that spring clip with no luck. Since the base is circular and the mount had a weird shape to it, I spun it 90 degrees and it went all the way in the hole (giggity) and rotating it back to its original position locked it in place. pics attached.
https://imgur.com/a/TastR

edit, I can't figure out how to post a pic from imgur so the link will have to do. srry.
Can the mirror be pulled free from the ball mount and then reinstalled at 180 degrees?

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Can the mirror be pulled free from the ball mount and then reinstalled at 180 degrees?

possibly. But i didn't like the way it was looking when I put pressure on it. The stalk gave way with less "snappy plastic cracky" feeling. Go for it and report back.
Sponsored