Sponsored

JL production threaten by tariffs

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Last edited:

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
You're right, that definitely has potential to hinder Wrangler production but it wouldn't be an issue if they had a few plants here in the U.S. I would hope FCA and others have begun looking for alternative solutions for issues such as this.
After reading the article, I have zero sympathy for her and her "American" company that manufactures all of their product in China.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The company that makes the door hinges for the Wrangler can go out of business in 3 months if tariffs go into effect. That would be a huge production problem for the JL. There are very few companies that can make them. The price of Wranglers will go up for sure if the tariffs go into effect.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c.../08/19/michigan-firm-auto-tariffs/1006524002/
When I had to re-order my JL earlier this year, the price jumped up from my original order and I had to pay the difference. So I got dinged because the dealership didn't order one of the correction options in the first place. The dealership said it was most likely due to the aluminum tariff hoopla. Not sure how true that was, but that's what they claimed.

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
The aluminum for the body of the Jeep comes from America. And finished aluminum products (like hinges) from overseas would not bear the tariffs. I work for the company that provides the aluminum for the body of the Jeep Wrangler. If your Dealership is claiming that a price increase is from Aluminum tariffs, they are probably mistaken. It's actually more likely that the steel tariffs would affect the price, since I believe the bulk sheet steel is coming from a variety of places, including China.

In short, it's probably more likely that any price increase is driven by demand for the Wrangler than by any tariffs on raw materials.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The aluminum for the body of the Jeep comes from America. And finished aluminum products (like hinges) from overseas would not bear the tariffs. I work for the company that provides the aluminum for the body of the Jeep Wrangler. If your Dealership is claiming that a price increase is from Aluminum tariffs, they are probably mistaken. It's actually more likely that the steel tariffs would affect the price, since I believe the bulk sheet steel is coming from a variety of places, including China.

In short, it's probably more likely that any price increase is driven by demand for the Wrangler than by any tariffs on raw materials.
I was just reading a few different articles that indicated the tariffs on aluminum imported from abroad allowed U.S. makers for aluminum to increase their prices which allows them to return to profitability. Makes sense that it would be an indirect cause and affect, but is there another side to it?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was just reading a few different articles that indicated the tariffs on aluminum imported from abroad allowed U.S. makers for aluminum to increase their prices which allows them to return to profitability. Makes sense that it would be an indirect cause and affect, but is there another side to it?
The downside is prices go up for everybody

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
The list of products impacted by the tariff is not that long. Any company spewing that crap to customers and using it as a reason to increase their price most likely have told a lie.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Tariffs are just a tax on all consumers. This independent, nonpartisan organization tracks the economic impact of the tariffs, and it's currently a loss of 45k jobs in the U.S and about $12bil lower GDP for the U.S.

https://taxfoundation.org/update-impact-enacting-president-trumps-tariffs/

There was never a time in history when levying tariffs was an effective tactic for getting foreign tariffs lowered. What DOES work is offering other nations something else in return (visas, policy concession, arms, etc), but it's been two decades since we've had a president do that. The TPP was a step in that direction, but Cheeto von Tweeto threw that in the trash.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The entire point of the tariffs is to bring JOBS to America. Door hinges aren't going to affect production. There are countless factories on U.S. soil that can make something as simple as door hinges.

Yes, prices may go up, but then again prices were ALREADY going up on Wrangler at a clip of about 3% annually. So it's not a crisis. And, the more jobs come back to the U.S. the more money citizens will have to buy things with, like Jeeps.

We're good. We got this.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The entire point of the tariffs is to bring JOBS to America.
Tariffs never have and never will increase employment in the U.S., and all credible independent analysis has borne this out. Besides, the U.S. is at full employment, so we don't need 'more jobs', we need higher wages. And tariffs only suppress wages.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
They could probably find some one else to make the damn hinges, bet they have companies on speed dial who are more than capable of making a damn hinge.

per the tarriffs, these foreign countries need to lower theirs, they have been screwing us for years, about time someone calls them out!

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The entire point of the tariffs is to bring JOBS to America. Door hinges aren't going to affect production. There are countless factories on U.S. soil that can make something as simple as door hinges.

Yes, prices may go up, but then again prices were ALREADY going up on Wrangler at a clip of about 3% annually. So it's not a crisis. And, the more jobs come back to the U.S. the more money citizens will have to buy things with, like Jeeps.

We're good. We got this.
THIS. We've been getting the short stick for a long time on trade tariffs against the USA and the american middle class getting the brunt of it. About time someone with the biggest balls took this on. Short term pain for long term gain.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
THIS. We've been getting the short stick for a long time on trade tariffs against the USA and the american middle class getting the brunt of it. About time someone with the biggest balls took this on. Short term pain for long term gain.
This would be all well and good if there was ANY historical example of retaliatory tariffs causing a foreign nation to lower their tariffs. Tariffs ALWAYS just lead to more tariffs, and consumers lose. Trade wars have been waged for centuries, and they always turn out the exact same way. It would be asinine to expect this one to turn out any differently.

There are established means of getting nations to lower their tariffs; ask them what they want from the U.S. (policy positions, arms, visas, whatever), and then offer that in return for more favorable trade. Americans need to elect leaders that promise to take this approach, instead of leaders promising pie-in-the-sky health insurance or stupid walls.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The company that makes the door hinges for the Wrangler can go out of business in 3 months if tariffs go into effect. That would be a huge production problem for the JL. The price of Wranglers will go up for sure if the tariffs go into effect. Plus the delays.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c.../08/19/michigan-firm-auto-tariffs/1006524002/
Boo hoo. Make your sh*t in America. Problem solved. Plus you can sleep easy at night knowing you’re employing Americans.

I have zero sympathy for anyone in this predicament because they’ve been reaping MASSIVE profit margins by putting more than capable American workers into the unemployment line for far too long.

I just put in a giant order with one my vendors who sells me a 100% American made product at competitive prices. It can be done.

When America catches a cold the rest of the world gets the flu. This is all going to work out just fine if it’s seen through to the end.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Tariffs are just a tax on all consumers. This independent, nonpartisan organization tracks the economic impact of the tariffs, and it's currently a loss of 45k jobs in the U.S and about $12bil lower GDP for the U.S.

https://taxfoundation.org/update-impact-enacting-president-trumps-tariffs/

There was never a time in history when levying tariffs was an effective tactic for getting foreign tariffs lowered. What DOES work is offering other nations something else in return (visas, policy concession, arms, etc), but it's been two decades since we've had a president do that. The TPP was a step in that direction, but Cheeto von Tweeto threw that in the trash.
Secretly deals are made everyday. Just because we do not have a signed document, which is usually token, does not mean an agreement has not been reached.
Sponsored