JL premium soft top loud rattle

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
Took to dealership and they replaced two rods that did not solve rattle. When over 70 on interstate sounds like it will blow off. Tech rode with me but they can’t figure out what is causing it.
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This is when the windows are up? I know my premium top has a metal vibration when one window is cracked at high speeds and the wind is from a certain direction.

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
This was with all windows out on interstate that I thought it would blow off also does it when windows are in and cracked. Worse when out

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This was with all windows out on interstate that I thought it would blow off also does it when windows are in and cracked. Worse when out
Does it seem like the noise is coming from directly overhead, or from the back of the jeep?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
Rear top area behind rear seats n top back window area. Metal rattle

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Rear top area behind rear seats n top back window area. Metal rattle

If your top is fully secured and all windows are on, try flipping the locking tabs in the back to the other position. Not sure if the position of these matters if the top is fully up and in place... But I find that these make a whole lot of noise depending on what position they are in. May be worth a try just to see if they are the culprit.

tempImageEtrzCQ.png

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
Already tried that and they checked them at dealership cause I thought that was the issue to begin with. Doesn’t matter what position those are in and even the tech verified metal rattle not coming from them. He rode in the back to listen where and just something in the top rear of soft top and couldn’t put his hand on it 🤔

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
Already tried that and they checked them at dealership cause I thought that was the issue to begin with. Doesn’t matter what position those are in and even the tech verified metal rattle not coming from them. He rode in the back to listen where and just something in the top rear of soft top and couldn’t put his hand on it 🤔

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
I believe its just loose in track- making the metal sound..

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is this concern still present, Hutchens5? If so, please send us a private message, we would like to dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kate, just sent message to jeep cares
Thanks
Tammy. Hutchens5
Thanks! We will continue to work with you there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Took to dealership and they replaced two rods that did not solve rattle. When over 70 on interstate sounds like it will blow off. Tech rode with me but they can’t figure out what is causing it.
Check out this Thread:

robaw said:
I found something that seems to work - I found some rubber grommets at a local hardware store (Menards). I just put these in the holes in the tub of the Jeep, then carefully put the pillar on. Had to hold the grommets toward the back of the Jeep from underneath - they tend to slip through otherwise. End result - ZERO NOISE, doesn't move at all!!!! :rock: Best $2.95 I've ever spent!!!
20ea3406-4d37-4f5c-bbb4-a99a3ee35c07-jpeg.jpg

7e75ab86-e73c-4f87-890b-ee4c7ac27394-jpeg.jpg
Tried this over the weekend, and it worked perfectly. Used a 5/16 for the smaller hole, and a 1/2 for the larger one.
3a2e7c07-c3d5-41b0-ba10-0dae04ecf6ee-jpeg.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL JL premium soft top loud rattle 1611595406083 Like Quote Reply
Sponsored