JL premium soft top loud rattle

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Took to dealership and they replaced two rods that did not solve rattle. When over 70 on interstate sounds like it will blow off. Tech rode with me but they can’t figure out what is causing it.
Check out this Thread:

robaw said:
I found something that seems to work - I found some rubber grommets at a local hardware store (Menards). I just put these in the holes in the tub of the Jeep, then carefully put the pillar on. Had to hold the grommets toward the back of the Jeep from underneath - they tend to slip through otherwise. End result - ZERO NOISE, doesn't move at all!!!! :rock: Best $2.95 I've ever spent!!!
20ea3406-4d37-4f5c-bbb4-a99a3ee35c07-jpeg.jpg

7e75ab86-e73c-4f87-890b-ee4c7ac27394-jpeg.jpg
Tried this over the weekend, and it worked perfectly. Used a 5/16 for the smaller hole, and a 1/2 for the larger one.
3a2e7c07-c3d5-41b0-ba10-0dae04ecf6ee-jpeg.jpg

Like Like Quote Reply

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have my JLU anymore, but when I did I recall there being little wheels in the track that allowed the softop to fall down towards the tailgate. There was a lot of play between the wheels and the track resulting in quite a bit of noise. Might this be your issue? if it is, I'm not sure there is a solution.

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
Not sure but this is big issue Jeep needs to fix/replace- spent too much for JL can’t drive over 60mph. 🙄

KB34

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 4 Door, 2020 Grand Cherokee Limited X, 1978 Trans am
This is when the windows are up? I know my premium top has a metal vibration when one window is cracked at high speeds and the wind is from a certain direction.
Did you ever find a resolution to this? I've been hunting for this rattle and can't find it.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever find a resolution to this? I've been hunting for this rattle and can't find it.
Nope. I need someone to crawl back there and find it when driving under the right conditions. Oddly enough, it also depends on which way the wind is blowing at highway speeds. I've had the windows out and/or top down for the past 4 weeks.

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
Nope. I need someone to crawl back there and find it when driving under the right conditions. Oddly enough, it also depends on which way the wind is blowing at highway speeds. I've had the windows out and/or top down for the past 4 weeks.

OP
OP

Hutchens5

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL
What helped a good bit was constantly putting soft top down and up 20+ times to work it in a bit. For now no rattle with up for shade and all windows out/down. Still have rattle when top is up and windows up on highway when I crack a window but they say thats normal other jeeps they test drove make the same rattle if cracking window at high speed. As for having all windows out and just soft top up for shade- don’t have loud rattle anymore. Someone told me being new and not used - worked in I need to lube n keep working the top up and down in the track. Think its just a 2018 JL Issue

Chrysler Factory Warranty